PDA

View Full Version : Importing a car

rodltg2
09-06-2007, 07:43 PM
my crazy cousin all of sudden wants his teenage car again. for some the reason they are somewhat rare now (probably since most are at junk yards) , but there is one i canada. anyone imported a car from canada? DMV issues / problems?? if it matters the car is a mid 70's Mercury capri. Thanks...

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-06-2007, 08:19 PM
a 70's Mercury.......uh....tell him to try to forget that part of his youth and imagine he had a Chevelle or a Vette or mustang or something. 8p

corey
09-06-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm feeling what ump is saying, I had a fairly rusted out 68' Mustang as a teen but in my mind it was much better than it was and if I were to replace it it would be much better than it was!

If he must have it the whole process should be pretty easy. As long as he has the title I think everything should be fine. I know boats can cross, titles are needed for trailers, this is going from the U.S. to Canada, but I would assume a similar procedure for the reverse.

milkmania
09-06-2007, 09:55 PM
my crazy cousin all of sudden wants his teenage car again. for some the reason they are somewhat rare now (probably since most are at junk yards) , but there is one i canada. anyone imported a car from canada? DMV issues / problems?? if it matters the car is a mid 70's Mercury capri. Thanks...

he's talking about one of these???

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/classics/photos/138500/138844-2.jpg

tell him there's one in Tuscon Arizona....
http://www.chooseyouritem.com/classics/files/138500/138844.html

but, I'd take UMP's advice (did I really say that:confused:) and move on

VTJC
09-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Once cars are over 25yrs old its allot easier to bring them into the USA. Since they don't need to meet our regulations(safety and emission) after 25 yrs. Jamie

rodltg2
09-06-2007, 11:05 PM
that yellowm one is appently sold, but somehow it has reappeared for a higher price :confused:

rcnjson
09-07-2007, 09:31 AM
I don't understand the Crappie either, but to each their own I guess...
in any event, where I live, getting a car from Canada would be no problem especially one that old (as mentioned before emissions exemption). As a matter of fact, I had an early 90's miata for awhile that was originally a canadian car and it was no big deal. If your crazy cousin also lives in Cali, it might be a little tougher. I know that emissions type things in California are looked at a little closer than they are here. So my comment is, it might be easy to do in some areas of the country but I would guess California has its own set of rules.
k

rodltg2
09-10-2007, 07:31 PM
so the canadian one is out, but he still wants this car for some crazy reason. he cannot seem to find one anywhere. so if any TT'ers know of a 1976-77 merc capri 4spd. let me know. must be those one of those years.