PDA

View Full Version : battery?

nashvillematt
03-03-2005, 11:30 PM
I am buying a new one in the morning....thinking of getting an optima gel cell. Any suggestions?

BrianM
03-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Thats what I would do. When my current battery goes caput I will be replacing with an Optima.

NatesGr8
03-04-2005, 02:11 AM
I agree with the optima, i wish mine would die so i could have a reason to buy one.

Leroy
03-04-2005, 04:47 AM
The optima is such a great battery, but you could buy a new standard car battery every other year if necessary and probably be money ahead. Most peoples boat usage is so bad for lead acid batteries.

whitedog
03-04-2005, 07:52 AM
I have had 2, one in old I/O 4 seasons never a problem, on in my 98 chevy 3/4 ton truck 3 years now issues. IMOP they are worth the $$. :D

Thrall
03-04-2005, 11:40 AM
I have Optima in the boat. Only 1 year now, but no problems. I bought the red top, not the yellow deep cell (it was cheaper), and it has worked fine. I don't have a huge stereo or anything though.

east tx skier
03-04-2005, 12:05 PM
On advice of a mechanic, I went for a regular Delco Marine battery. 3 seasons of perfect starts. I really ought to start charging it over the winter I suppose. I'm sure the gel cell is higher end, but I've never used one. 3 seasons for less than $70 isn't too bad in my opinion.

Brn85ss
03-04-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm buying the blue optima next month.Costco now carries them around $140-$150not cheap.I'm buying for the fact that they are sealed so you don't have to worry about acid spills.I've ruined alot of clothes with deep cycle fishing batteries that just spilled over and nobody noticed.Plus my batt. is 6 years old better safe than sorry.Spending way to much money on the boat this year. :cry:

nashvillematt
03-04-2005, 12:23 PM
I run 2 large apms and the engine off of mine...I always seem to have trouble with batteries....I am going optima and will let you know what happens. I am finding them for $120....

Brn85ss
03-04-2005, 12:25 PM
I run 2 large apms and the engine off of mine...I always seem to have trouble with batteries....I am going optima and will let you know what happens. I am finding them for $120....
Red,yellow, or blue?

PeteS
03-04-2005, 12:25 PM
We have two Optima Blue Tops', one in my Father's '99 and I have one in my '88. I put the deep cycle in my Father's, as he has more stereo equipment, and I have their starting battery. I also use it with my CD player all the time without problems. I highly reccomend the product. Also, if you do an internet search, you should be able to find an online dealer who charges less than Cosco. Just be aware of the shipping charges. Best of luck!

east tx skier
03-04-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm doubling up threads with this question, but what maintenance is required on gel cells? For me, I'm running a boat, and a 200 watt tuner ocassionally (that's it). I've never felt compelled to double my battery pleasure or go gel, but am curious about the differences.

lakes Rick
03-04-2005, 12:40 PM
I have seen them at GI joes on sale for around $99.. The "red top" starting batteries anyway..

Red top are for starting

Blue top are deep cycle

Yellow are for "rugged?" duty....

There is a new blue top "starting" battery with the correct marine electrical hookups

I have done some research into these and I think 90% of the time a boat would be fine with a red top starting battery if you charge it up a few times in the winter or keep a float charger on it.. Although my red top has gone dead a few times in the winter and it still seems fine after I charge it. It is 6 years old...

IF you have alot of stereo running while sitting, the deep cycle blue top might be a better way to go, although I really think it is a push with the optima batteries..

My understanding is the yellow top is designed for more abuse, four wheel drive that is used in the rough, and for a heavy draw like a winch..... My 2 cents here

The optima web site if pretty informative....

sfitzgerald351
03-04-2005, 12:44 PM
At the risk of hijacking the thread, how many people put their battery on a charge during the winter? I've always just pulled the battery and put it in my basement. Come spring I pull it out, hook it up and fire the boat right up and let it run for 15-20 minutes to charge. Except for last year when I finally had to replace the battery (somewhere between 5-7 years old) I haven't had problems. Am I asking for it?

nashvillematt
03-04-2005, 12:57 PM
I am thinking yellow....any suggestions?

east tx skier
03-04-2005, 01:01 PM
At the risk of hijacking the thread, how many people put their battery on a charge during the winter? I've always just pulled the battery and put it in my basement. Come spring I pull it out, hook it up and fire the boat right up and let it run for 15-20 minutes to charge. Except for last year when I finally had to replace the battery (somewhere between 5-7 years old) I haven't had problems. Am I asking for it?

I have been doing alright disconnecting the negative over the winter.

Brn85ss
03-04-2005, 01:01 PM
I am thinking yellow....any suggestions?

I think for the same price as the yellow you can get the new marine cranking batt.You should go to optima web sight and check out the specs.

nashvillematt
03-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Well I hit the MC Dealership and talked with them about what they reccomend. I ended up with a battery that they use. I am going to grab a perko switch and install a second battery....that should do the trick.

MS

east tx skier
03-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Matt, which battery is that?

costal190
03-04-2005, 09:15 PM
I have a optimax blue top, they really stand behind their product. It went bad about 4 yrs. old and I took it to Auto Zone and they gave me a new one no questions asked. I was not able to keep it on a trickle charge for about 9 mos. and that is what caused it to go bad due to a job relocation. The key to a gell cell is to keep it charged. I have seen and been told that these batteries can last an easy 15 yrs. if kept on a tricle charge. My new one is about 3 yrs old now. Highly Recomend !

h20_skidog
03-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Yeah they are more $$$ than a reg. battery...but it's also peace of mind that your purchasing. I recently bought a blue top for our 209 from BatteryMart.com http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=D34M-950

I believe in Optima so much that I also have their Red Tops in both my Yukon and Camry.

Quick story...at the end of Jan. I took a business trip and left Atlanta on a Sunday AM and didn't return until late Friday night of that week. When I got to my truck I could see that I had accidentally left the overhead map light on! :eek:

When I got into the truck and tried to start it...it cranked on the second try!! :) Try that with an ordinary battery! Definitely worth the extra $$$

mika
03-28-2005, 05:33 PM
I am buying an Optmia blue top very soon. And I can attest to their life and durability. at 130 bucks it is way cheap. Have one in a restored show car that hardly gets driven. The red top is 9 years old and only been charged once. A lead acid battery would never last that long. In fact the red top was in the boat for the last half of the season. Need a battery and the car was just sitting so why not use it. In fact the battery has been sitting since october I could put it in the car which has been sitting for a year now and it will start the car. And I gurantee the car will not start easy it will be doing some cranking. Optmia batteries are the best.

Let see the MC is a 98 and it needs its third battery. At 50 bucks a pop that is 150 and I gurantee that the Optmia will last an easy 8 to 10 years with good mantiance. Oh yeah always used Interstate Marine batteries in the past (I have a friend sells them to me at cost) Still cheaper to buy the optmia over the long haul.