PDA

View Full Version : Florida Amoeba Deaths

atlfootr
09-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Another boy dies in Florida Lake Waters ....
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/health/orl-bk-amoeba09052007,0,7110113.story

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/images/branding/masthead_subpages.gif (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/)
Another child dies from amoeba infection contracted in lake

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2007-09/31779178.jpg
The Naegleria fowleria amoeba is a parasite that lives in bodies of fresh water when temperatures rise above 82 degrees.

Sentinel Staff Writer Robyn Shelton September 5, 2007
Health officials are warning residents to be extremely cautious in freshwater lakes and other bodies of water, following the second death of a child this summer from a rare amoebic illness.

Richard "Chino" Almeida, 10, of Kissimmee died from amoebic encephalitis, his family said today.

The disease is a rare brain infection caused by an amoeba that can be found in freshwater sources in Central Florida.
The organisms flourish when water temperatures reach 80 degrees Fahrenheit and above.

People can be exposed to the amoebas if they get water forced into the nose, and the tiny creatures make their way into the brain.

AVOIDING CONTACT

- Don't swim to the bottom, where the amoebas are more prevalent.
- Don't get water up your nose, which is how the amoebas enter the brain.
- Avoid diving, rough-housing and any activities that are likely to force water up the nose.
- Wear nose clips.
- Stay close to the surface of the water, and swim in the deep part of a lake. Amoebas are typically found in shallow water.
- Stay out of water declared unsafe by the Health Department.
- Avoid stagnant, polluted water.

Using nose clips and avoiding certain activities can reduce the danger. But the unusual spate of cases in Orange County this summer is alarming to health officials and families.

At a news conference earlier today, Orange County Mayor Rich Crotty advised the ultimate precaution.

"The safest thing you can do right now is to stay out of the water," Crotty said.

Dr. Kevin Sherin, director of the Orange County Health Department, also recommends avoiding recreational activities in all freshwater above 80 degrees. The department is investigating the child's death and cannot release specifics on the case due to privacy laws.

A department spokesman said the child had been in "more than one" body of water recently, and the department cannot provide the names of the lakes while the investigation is ongoing.

Sherin said people need to regard all freshwater sources with the same degree of caution. Parents need to ensure that their children are not engaging in risky activities, such as diving, swimming to the bottom, water skiing or other recreational sports that tend to force water up the nose.

"This is a rare infection but everyone in Central Florida [who swims] in lakes needs to be aware of the danger and take the proper precautions," Sherin said.

The infection is called primary amebic meningoencephalitis, or PAM. It is very serious unless treated early and aggressively. Initial warning signs include headache, fever, vomiting and a stiff neck. As the illness progresses, victims become lethargic and confused. They might suffer seizures or slip into unconsciousness.

There are medications available, but most patients die.

Earlier this summer, 11-year-old Will Sellars of Orlando died from PAM after wakeboarding on Lake Jessamine in the Conway area in late July.

Sherin described the back-to-back cases involving two children as "unbelievable" and highly "unusual." Only 24 cases of amoebic encephalitis were documented in the United States from 1989 to 2000, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Here are some tips from the health department on reducing the risk of infection:

-Wear nose clips or hold your nose while swimming, diving or jumping in freshwater.

-Do not swim in water that is warm and placid and never use water that is posted "No Swimming."
-Avoid areas with algal blooms.

atlfootr
09-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Man 'o man, this really scares the jezzers outt'a us barefooters here in Winter Haven, Florida ...
Went in yesterday w/ nose clips and (ear plugs) for extra precaution jus' in case.

Honestly, I'd rather take my chances dealing w/ gators than w/ the parasites :noface: ****.

88 PS190
09-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Welcome back north guys! Cold water, go back south once the lakes are cold again.

floridamastercraft
09-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Great I just tried to do a deep water barefoot start today (I haven't done this in about 8yrs) got some water up my nose.... and the lake water was 90 today....

atlfootr
09-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Great I just tried to do a deep water barefoot start today (I haven't done this in about 8yrs) got some water up my nose.... and the lake water was 90 today....Ya should'a READ POST before you went to foot, now GO BUY a NOSECLIP!

betsy&david Harrison
09-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Some people on our lake, here in California, use Scotch Tape pieces across the nares openings. It works because the water can't get through the tape. I think they put two layers on to cover up. Just so you know...it is NOT me :D

TX.X-30 fan
09-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Man 'o man, this really scares the jezzers outt'a us barefooters here in Winter Haven, Florida ...
Went in yesterday w/ nose clips and (ear plugs) for extra precaution jus' in case.
Honestly, I'd rather take my chances dealing w/ gators than w/ the parasites :noface: ****.

We need pics!!! :D

chudson
09-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Got the same nasty amoeba in power plant lakes up north too!!! They hang out at the outlets where the hot water returns to the lake to cool, we stay away from that area!!! :eek3:

http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/56/7/2200

I think this ^ article says we have them up here too!!!

atlfootr
09-06-2007, 10:44 AM
We need pics!!! :DHere's the best I can do, taking pic's of these parasite's not worth :noface: dying for :( TX

The Naegleria fowleria amoeba is a parasite that lives in bodies of fresh water when temperatures rise above 82 degrees.

tommcat
09-06-2007, 12:08 PM
at least you can see gators comin. i hate stuff that can kill you but you cant see 'em.

that why i want to move further north, where everything that can kill you is big enough to see and shoot at. i've never heard a case of a grizzly bear hiding in someones shoe or getting up their nose.

Tim205
09-06-2007, 12:14 PM
The boy contracted the amoeba at Orlando Watersports Comples (by the airport) taking wakeboarding lessons.....What a shame.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-06-2007, 12:17 PM
This is a real bummer. very sad. :(

I guess thats one advantage of living up North here, the water may be cold, but its clean. nothing can live in it at the temps it usually is at during most of the year. warms up in summer just enough to be comfortable, but then it cools off before stuff can grow in it.

chudson
09-06-2007, 12:23 PM
The boy contracted the amoeba at Orlando Watersports Comples (by the airport) taking wakeboarding lessons.....What a shame.

That's more of a borrow pit isn't it, sort of shallow? Not a natural lake!

Tim205
09-06-2007, 12:25 PM
I hear ya.....I owned on a lake in Maine, and spent most of my summers on NH lakes. You can't beat them. I'll take cold water any day! I really thought the snakes and gators were the only worry down here (and there are plenty of them), but this amoeba thing sucks. I'm just not comfortable putting my 6 and 10 year olds in the water with a nose clip. By the time of year the water is below amoeba temps, you don't want to be out down here anyway.

atlfootr
09-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Some people on our lake, here in California, use Scotch Tape pieces across the nares openings.

It works because the water can't get through the tape. I think they put two layers on to cover up.

Just so you know...it is NOT me :DWaterProof Band-Aid Tape works GREAT .... and if, these parasites were in your lakes like they are in ours, IT WOULD BE YOU -- or else you'd be DEAD!

atlfootr
09-06-2007, 01:50 PM
The boy contracted the amoeba at Orlando Watersports Comples (by the airport) taking wakeboarding lessons.....What a shame.Yeah, trixster told me that the other day.
So I'm wondering now is the OWC still open for business?

Tim205
09-06-2007, 02:10 PM
The owner of OWC claims the boy couldn't have gotten it there (somehow he just knows that fact). To think I only avoided that place because they were a Nautique shop (bad humor). It's gotta be tough on business, and I feel for them. With all the press around these issues I can't imagine many people are getting in the water. I was over by Sammy Duvall's at the Contemporary/Disney World this past weekend, and the towboats were parked and covered. Maybe just a coincidence or something? Time to start filtering the lake water....

Tim205
09-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Disney World used to have a water park that relied on lake water (called River Country) that was closed permanently several years ago because of an amoeba incident.

wade95
09-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Lake Tarpon here in Pinellas County, otherwise known as: Lake Amoeba in the summertime. However, I don't believe it's that bad, cause think about all the people that are in lakes across Florida. I spent years skiing in Lake Maggorie in St. Pete, (only 6ft deep and the bottom smells like baby poo) and Lake Tarpon and never been sick. Shame it had to happen to a youngster.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Lake Tarpon here in Pinellas County, otherwise known as: Lake Amoeba in the summertime. However, I don't believe it's that bad, cause think about all the people that are in lakes across Florida. I spent years skiing in Lake Maggorie in St. Pete, (only 6ft deep and the bottom smells like baby poo) and Lake Tarpon and never been sick. Shame it had to happen to a youngster.
HOw can you smell under water??:confused:

TX.X-30 fan
09-06-2007, 08:38 PM

If a fart falls under water does it smell???? :confused:

We had 1 case this summer, a 12 yr old boy at camp on lake LBJ. Texas has had now 35 cases (deaths) since 1972. The Texas dept. of health estimates chances at 1/1,000,000 of contracting PAM. Think about all the people in Tx. lakes this summer, most without boats in shallow warm water. I'm sure after this year some may study the problem in more detail, but as it stands I see no reason to limit my families water time.

We have had mucho amounts of water in this state, so all the silt and mud in coves has been churned-up. This may have something to do with our single incident.

Much more dangerous where I live to load the kids in the car and go out to dinner IMHO.

wade95
09-09-2007, 09:31 AM

Sorry, what I meant was: If you try to stand up in Lake Maggorie you sink in a couple inches of muck and as it get stirred up and floats to the top it smells like poo. Sorry8p

FrankSchwab
09-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Excellent point about the chances, TX-X30.

About 40,000 (http://www.nhtsa.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/template.MAXIMIZE/menuitem.f2217bee37fb302f6d7c121046108a0c/?javax.portlet.tpst=1e51531b2220b0f8ea14201046108a 0c_ws_MX&javax.portlet.prp_1e51531b2220b0f8ea14201046108a0c _viewID=detail_view&itemID=b75cbab08d3f3110VgnVCM1000002fd17898RCRD&viewType=standard&pressReleaseYearSelect=2007) people are killed in auto accidents every year in the U.S.A. There are about 300,000,00 (http://www.census.gov/population/www/popclockus.html) people in the US.

So, just living in the US means you have about a 1 in 7500 chance of dying in a traffic accident each and every year. I doubt that the Texas Dept of Health has the statistics necessary to make their 1 in a 1,000,000 estimate (sounds more like a PR number to me), but this is certainly a case where I think you're at much greater risk driving to the lake than you are in the water.

DooSPX
09-09-2007, 02:19 PM
I heard about that too, in fact... I went to my vet and got some meds just in case for my dog because she loves the lake.

TX.X-30 fan
09-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Here's the best I can do, taking pic's of these parasite's not worth :noface: dying for :( TX

Let me clarify, pics. of you foootin with cloths pin on your nose and cotton balls in your ears. :D

spanielman50
09-09-2007, 06:53 PM
"Fear is where satan takes you into a dark room and developes your negatives "
i'm still crossing streets,,,,,riding in cars,,,,,,,getting on airplanes,,,,,
and yes screaming across the wake at 55 mph,,,,,,
be wise but do not fear

TX.X-30 fan
09-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Can I re-think my last post????

9/07/07 - AUSTIN, TX) - The death of a second person who died after swimming in Lake LBJ has been attributed to an amoeba that can be found in warm water.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also on ABC13.com:

Send news tips | RSS | ABC13 E-lert | Info mentioned on air | Search abc13.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lubbock County medical examiner has confirmed that Colby Sawyer, 22, of Lubbock, died Tuesday after wake-boarding at Lake LBJ of the same type of amoeba that killed 12-year-old John "Jack" Herrera, of Austin, after swimming there last month during summer camp.

A representative for the state health department said Thursday that preliminary test results indicated Sawyer died of the same brain infection, which is caused from exposure to primary amebic meningoencephalitis. Symptoms include fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, stiff neck and hallucinations.

Sawyer was at the lake the weekend of Aug. 24-25, said Tigi Ward, public health coordinator for surveillance at the City of Lubbock Health Department.

The amoebae like water above 80 degrees, especially when it's stagnant, and can be found in many lakes and streams.

It is rare for two people to get the usually fatal type of meningitis from the same body of water, said Dr. James Morgan, regional medical director for the Department of State Health Services in Temple.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved

Boarded there the week before this, :mad:

I am starting to believe this has something to do with all the flooding and the lake bottom being churned up so much???

I must say I am finding this scary now since we love this lake.

Willytown
09-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Is this something that can be happen in any warm water? Our weekday riding spot is in pretty stagnant water and water is still in the mid 80's. Sounds like a freak accident and is very unfortunate.

atlfootr
09-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Is this something that can be happen in any warm water?Answer is YES !

Leroy
09-19-2007, 05:47 PM
CNN article on this, sad to hear.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/09/18/zarrella.killerlakes/index.html

atlfootr
09-20-2007, 10:22 AM
CNN article on this, sad to hear.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/09/18/zarrella.killerlakes/index.htmlThanks for posting ... maybe now ppl will take this deadly issue seriously :mad:
Deadly amoeba lurks in Florida lakes Link
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/09/18/zarrella.killerlakes/index.html