PDA

View Full Version : Anone having trouble with vinyl cracking?

jmmcalpin
09-05-2007, 06:48 PM
I have a 2004 Xstar and have had all the seats vinyl replaced due to cracking around the threads... it only is occurring right at the threads so any of the seats that don't have the thread lines are fine. Now the back seat upper vinyl is starting to crack... Is anyone else having or heard of this problem? I can't believe after 3 years I have to replace all the vinyl... HELP... I only use the soap and water called out in the book and it has never seen salt water.. only lake water.

utbubbad
09-11-2007, 07:16 AM
I am curious about this also. Mine have started to show a few small cracks.

JohnnyB
09-11-2007, 02:24 PM
One of my two sunpads is cracking along the stitching. Every other cushion in the boat looks like new. I religiously clean with Babe's seat soap and protect with 303....

dsoby
09-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Welcome the the crappy vinyl club guys. My previous boat was a Maxim and while I took care of it, I have absolutely pampered my Mastercraft. That being said, the vinyl on the MC is totally inferior. It has been fanatically kept clean, out of the sun, and treated. It started tearing at the seams at the end of it's third summer. If there is one thing that I am extremely disappointed about it is that Mastercraft is seemingly sticking their heads in the sand on this issue. You should not spend this kind of money that these boats cost and have this kind of problem! Bayliners have vinyl that wears better! MC's attitude is that you should just replace it but the replacement skins are made of the same inferior material.

JohnnyB
09-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Welcome the the crappy vinyl club guys. My previous boat was a Maxim and while I took care of it, I have absolutely pampered my Mastercraft. That being said, the vinyl on the MC is totally inferior. It has been fanatically kept clean, out of the sun, and treated. It started tearing at the seams at the end of it's third summer. If there is one thing that I am extremely disappointed about it is that Mastercraft is seemingly sticking their heads in the sand on this issue. You should not spend this kind of money that these boats cost and have this kind of problem! Bayliners have vinyl that wears better! MC's attitude is that you should just replace it but the replacement skins are made of the same inferior material.

After skiing is over (December), I'm going to shop out re-upholstering my sunpads to see if someone locally can come up with something close in appearance, but of a higher quality. I agree with you that the vinyl is inferior.....my '92 had mostly original vinyl on it when I sold it.....just the spotters seat cushion and back bench seat cushion were replaced. I'm guessing this boat's vinyl won't last half as long :mad:

BriEOD
09-16-2007, 10:08 PM
I know an old time upholestry guy and he swears by using mink oil (shoe polish) on the interior. It keeps the material and stiching from drying out. I did it on my old boat all the time.

JimN
09-17-2007, 12:20 AM
First of all, vinyl won't dry out, it's already cured. It can be damaged by UV and heat, though. Nylon threads don't like bleach or UV. The vinyl isn't the problem but the stitch pitch (holes/inch) may be too fine. Not much difference between fine pitch and just slicing it, really. Another thing that makes material rip at the stitching is kneeling or standing on on it. The stress is extremely high across the seam or stitching and this is what usually causes problems. I won't argue that the '99 boats had really bad materials, but that was due to the then-president, who came from the automotive industry and tried to squeeze every nickel out of everything.

If MC is using inferior material, I would be surprised because they took a lot of heat for the '99 models.

dsoby
09-17-2007, 01:07 AM
Those are good points, Jim. But I have friends with other makes of boats and MCs from the mid to early 90's with vinyl that is holding up just fine. I know a guy with a 95 190 that is terribly abused and his vinyl is in much better shape than my 02 that has been pampered. Too many other owners have had the same experience for it not to be a legitimate issue.

JimN
09-17-2007, 09:20 AM
I would call MC and ask what they think is causing the problem and what they will do about it. If they got a bad run (or three) of vinyl, it falls on the manufacturer of the vinyl. I have seen vinyl that was total crap and became brittle, like the old Bayliner stuff, I have seen older MC boats with original material that looked like new. Some stretches easily, some doesn't at all. Stretchy material eventually ends up looking like someone who lost a lot of weight and the skin stayed the way it was. It's hard to know if a particular material will be the best for an application but it seems like a recurring issue here.

sizzler
09-17-2007, 10:37 AM
had my rear seat replaced last year due to cracks/splits.....right along the seam lines.....rear sunpad is starting to go now as well as the starboard bow cushion..........:(

dsoby
09-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Ant comments MMYC, Erk? My dealer, whom I have nothing but great service says that MC knows that this is a problem but they are not treating this as a recall issue or replacing any skins. I bought replacements this summer but are reluctant to change them because the new ones will eventually do the same thing (dealer prediction) due to the fact they were made from the same material as the original. So now I have an 02 X7 that looks showroom new with vinyl that is an utter embarassment.

Big Spray
09-20-2007, 11:21 PM
My '04 TT is just starting to show some cracks leading away from the stitching on the rear deck pads. I also have a little bit of stretching in one of the bow seat back cushions. This boat is kept in the boat house and covered. My feeling is the cracking is from standing on the rear deck while coming in from skiing, swimming etc., pretty hard not to stand there even with rear seat out. One thing is for sure though don't use any silicon based products on the interior, the 303 works but i find it a little slippery, and as for mink oil that sounds particularly greasy and if you have ever used it on boots or anything you know it has a strong odor. Don't know what to say but lean on your dealer and the company for better quality replacement skins!!

Funny how being in the course makes this upholstery problem disapear!!

blaakbaer
09-20-2007, 11:54 PM
I have an 04 X-star and started to have this problem last year.
When I dropped the boat off for winterizing last fall, I asked the dealer to check into this for me.
They took pictures and sent them to mastercraft and ended up getting me all new skins.
They did a great job, it turned out purfect!
I havn't abused my seats in the least, and was really surprised how fast they fell apart.
I hope the new skins will last a lot longer!
I'm not sure if its good to hear others are havn this problem.
And I hope they changed suppliers.