PDA

View Full Version : Fogged Gauges - common?

bobx1
09-05-2007, 03:36 PM
07 X1 still under warranty. After a hard rain, the two far right gauges (gas and I think volatge) are fogged on the inside for several days. Last very hard rain we had screwed all the gauges up and after they dried out (while at the dealer, 3 weeks later) they started working again.

Just wondering if I should ask them to be fixed under warranty OR if this is common and just blow it off and not be a pain in the a$$ customer?

G-man
09-05-2007, 03:52 PM
turn on your running lights, they will heat the fog out, most guages these days are built to vent

KnoxX2
09-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Bob I understand your frustration however you must understand that if you leave your boat out in the weather all the time it is going to have problems. Was it covered? Is it outside all the time?

skeeler
09-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Bob I understand your frustration however you must understand that if you leave your boat out in the weather all the time it is going to have problems. Was it covered? Is it outside all the time?
In the future, if you could try not to get the boat wet, that would be best. :D

bobx1
09-05-2007, 04:32 PM
KnoxX2 - stays in a controlled storage facility when not in use. Unfortunately in south Louisiana, we can get some pretty heavy downpours during the summer afternoons. This past weekend, we were hit hard for 15 minutes Saturday afternoon then another 20 minute storm Sunday afternoon. Unless you have radar and are close to the dock with your trailer at the ready, you are going to get the boat wet.

After the gauge malfunction, I make it a point to run to our dock, put the bimini up and cover the console with a towel when it looks like rain. Not a great solution but it tends to minimize the exposure.

GMan -not sure if you are pulling my leg or are serious. I will try it and run the risk of either looking smart or stupid. I can hear the questions now -

Them: "Hey dude, it is the middle of the day and your running lights are on."

Me: "I know, just drying out my gauges."

KnoxX2
09-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Ok now I understand better.............Maybe I jumped the gun:rolleyes:
We get storms like that here in Knoxville (just not this summer) but never had any problems. Maybe because the bimini is up all the time when we are on the lake! don't know :confused: What has the dealer said?

bobx1
09-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Have not brought it to the dealers attention. Just checking to see if I am being too anal. You have to be careful with boat dealers and not get on their "*****y" list. Rather save my "*****y" moments for when they are truly justified.

I only put the bimini up when it look like rain and when the wife tells me to. Then put it down after the rain has passsed and when she gives me permission to do so (married for 24 years so am starting to learn when to keep my mouth shut).

As a matter of fact, I now wake every morning and apologize for anything I am about to do or say (for the day).

Harvey
09-05-2007, 05:27 PM
I have the same problem after a hard rain when my boat has been outside (even with the cover on). Luckily in Texas we get hot enough to fry an egg on your forehead so it usually dries out in a day or so.

G-man
09-05-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm not pulling your leg, boats are not all rocket science

gew
09-05-2007, 05:47 PM
I have the same problem, I got one replaced under warranty because it had a crack in the glass. I have had the bimini up and down, cover on and cover off, it still happens. Somtimes it takes three days to dry out. Now when I see rain comming I do a shot of jagar and foggy gauges just don't seem to be as big a issues at that moment.

Yellow X9
09-05-2007, 06:31 PM
I had a simular problem with my fuel gauge after getting caught in the rain while at the lake. After it was all said and done, the next day at the lake all the gauges stopped working. The fuel gauge ended up shorting out the gauge module. Fortunately got the module and fuel gauge covered under warranty.

Word to the wise they don't like to get soaked, rain water that is.

MC X-15
07-21-2008, 02:11 PM
What a terrible design, i mean these are boats, they get wet, figure it out mastercraft. I bought a brand new 08 X-15, got dropped off and one of the guages has condensation in it, it went away but it seems like a common problem. These are top of the line boats and these problems seem like they just shouldnt be happening. just my 2 cents