PDA

View Full Version : Andre'

bradamerry
03-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Anybody seen this guy?? Maybe he is searching for more pics of Dooker!!

BriEOD
03-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Come on now don't pick on Andre. I'll bet the farm Andre isn't the "Tool."

bradamerry
03-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Come on now don't pick on Andre. I'll bet the farm Andre isn't the "Tool."
Doug is the only member I would ever pick on. Andre' has been missing for a day??

BriEOD
03-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Maybe Nathalie has him doing laundry or something?? :confused:

Hoosier Bob
03-03-2005, 11:11 PM
I have to disagree, the "Toolman" does not type with a French accent!
Go Andre! :purplaugh

MasterMason
03-04-2005, 01:14 AM
He said in the Acme prop thread that he had to go someplace, I think it was work but can't remember

André
03-04-2005, 01:55 AM
I'm back!
Just drove 9 hours in a row to sleep in my bed and taking friday off!!! 8p
I did log on shorthly last night at this small town library...on ultra high speed internet!!!
Wow,almost fell on my ***! :eek3:

Leroy
03-04-2005, 05:03 AM
ANdre; Take Sat and Sun off, I will also!

You've got to get DSL/Cable Modem there or else you could just hang out at the library or local coffee shop with WiFi. You might try WiFi around the neighborhood, maybe you can log on for free....my techy neighbors remind me I'm still open.

You would probably have as many posts as Doug if you had UHSI like the small town library.

I'm back!
Just drove 9 hours in a row to sleep in my bed and taking friday off!!! 8p
I did log on shorthly last night at this small town library...on ultra high speed internet!!!
Wow,almost fell on my ***! :eek3:

BriEOD
03-04-2005, 07:32 AM
ANdre; Take Sat and Sun off, I will also!

You've got to get DSL/Cable Modem there or else you could just hang out at the library or local coffee shop with WiFi. You might try WiFi around the neighborhood, maybe you can log on for free....my techy neighbors remind me I'm still open.

You would probably have as many posts as Doug if you had UHSI like the small town library.

You know Leroy it is funny about WiFi. I cannot believe how many people leave themselves vulnerable. If you have a laptop with a wireless care or centrino technology take a ride through a neighborhood and see how many networks you can log onto that are not encrypted...

bcampbe7
03-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Better yet, got to www.stumbler.net and download Netstumbler for your laptop. It may not work with some wireless cards, I know it doesn't work with Linksys G cards. I know it works with Belkin B cards. You will be very surprised at what you see. You will see secured as well as unsecure WiFi. Just pick the one (unsecure) you want and surf away.
NOTE: This is not illegal at the Federal level and not illegal in Tennessee, as far as I know. However, I think it is illegal in Georgia. Doug may have more information of this...

If you have a home wireless system just turn on WEP and statically assign your IP addresses, then change your WEP code every couple months. Hackers shouldn't be able to break into your network.

sfitzgerald351
03-04-2005, 01:06 PM
WEP IS NOT SECURE!!! See http://www.nwfusion.com/reviews/2004/1004wirelessmain.html I had a kid at work who could crack a WEP code in about 15 seconds. I don't even bother to turn it on. The only people WEP keeps out are those who are too clueless to really figure out security in the first place. Anyone who has the technology to "read" my unencrypted traffic between my router and laptop and figure it out isn't going to be stopped by WEP. There is a reason all of the new routers and wireless cards come with WPA. Much better. Use it if you can. But what you should really do is turn on the MAC address control. With MAC address control you register the physical address of your computer with the router and it will only talk to registered machines at that point. You can spoof MAC addresses, but it's much harder and I doubt anybody in the neighborhood is going to do it as it'll take to long to make it worthwhile. With MAC control you then know your machines are the only ones talking on the back end of the firewall. Also, turn on the "connect to access points only" on your wireless cards. You don't want your computer connecting or talking to other computers out in the open.

bcampbe7
03-04-2005, 01:29 PM
I agree WPA is more secure, but there is a new version of WEP. It takes a whole lot more captured traffic to crack than the old version. With household wireless it would take at least 6 months of sniffing to generate enough bits to decode WEP. If you change your code every few months you should be OK in a home network setting. In a businees setting you would not use WEP. Two very different settings call for different measures.
People probably aren't going to take the time to hack a "secure" home WiFi network. A business, sure... For home use they are going to find the easiest route to the internet.

sfitzgerald351
03-07-2005, 01:40 AM
I guess... But it seems to me that if your equipment is old enough to not come with WPA it probably isn't running the new version of WEP. I still say MAC address control is the way to go in either case to keep folks out and then you turn on whatever encryption is available if you're worried about the actual traffic being captured (and I guess the MAC address spoofed...)

jimmer2880
03-07-2005, 08:26 AM
I agree WPA is more secure, but there is a new version of WEP. It takes a whole lot more captured traffic to crack than the old version. With household wireless it would take at least 6 months of sniffing to generate enough bits to decode WEP. If you change your code every few months you should be OK in a home network setting. In a businees setting you would not use WEP. Two very different settings call for different measures.
People probably aren't going to take the time to hack a "secure" home WiFi network. A business, sure... For home use they are going to find the easiest route to the internet.

or - your could just generate garbage traffic - then you have enough. I spoke to someone who did that very thing. He said it wasn't hard. He worked for the GAO & was speaking at one of my conferences, so I have no reason not to believe him.

east tx skier
03-07-2005, 12:44 PM
So, to sum it up, what's a home wireless network owner to do? We just got a Belkin 2.4 ghz 804.22g wireless router. It's firewalled. Should we be encrypting? In the end, I doubt there are too many 15 year olds who couldn't get in if they really wanted to do so.

bcampbe7
03-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Did you mean 802.11g?
I would enable WPA, which I think that router is capable of and, as Scott said, only allow your MAC's to access the WLAN. Also, you may want to disable DHCP and set-up your IP's statically.
Someone in your neighborhood looking for wireless access is going to see your network, see that it's "secure" and move on. Unless, like you said, you have a kid that is into hacking and a challenge. You should be OK in a home setting. Did you just go to brodband? If so, you may want to look into a personal firewall like Zone Alarm. IMHO, this can be fairly useful when set-up properly.

jimmer2880
03-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Did you mean 802.11g?
I would enable WPA, which I think that router is capable of and, as Scott said, only allow your MAC's to access the WLAN. Also, you may want to disable DHCP and set-up your IP's statically.
Someone in your neighborhood looking for wireless access is going to see your network, see that it's "secure" and move on. Unless, like you said, you have a kid that is into hacking and a challenge. You should be OK in a home setting. Did you just go to brodband? If so, you may want to look into a personal firewall like Zone Alarm. IMHO, this can be fairly useful when set-up properly.

I 2nd that. It's not about making it impossible to get in, just more of a pain in the arse than your neighbor's. There are so many open wireless lans out there, that unless you p!ssed someone off, they will probably just move down the block.

milkmania
03-07-2005, 03:04 PM
ahhhh................the country life:headbang:

when the cows start carrying laptops, I'll be in deep ****:purplaugh

André
03-07-2005, 03:09 PM
I really don't understand what you're talking about in my thread,so here's a picture of an old sock...

bcampbe7
03-07-2005, 03:55 PM
I really don't understand what you're talking about in my thread,so here's a picture of an old sock...
:uglyhamme

André, I love the signature too by the way...

Leroy
03-07-2005, 04:17 PM
I have yet to hear of any problems from people connecting through open wireless ports.