PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finder normal or something wrong?

Roonie's
09-05-2007, 02:38 PM
I had my dealer install a depth finder on the boat at purchase time. The depth finder works great until you get above 15 mph and then it will only blink the last depth reading until you slow down again. So it will not give me depth readings past 15 mph ever. Is this how they are supposed to work? Some feedback would be great since it is currently at dealer for some other things and they will be looking at it as well. I have an 07 X2 and the depth finder is the same one that comes with the new MC boats. They located the transducer (sp?) right by the shaft coming out of the hull. I need to know if this is normal for the depth finder or if something is wrong with it? Should I get readings at any speed?

tones03
09-05-2007, 02:51 PM
I havent dealt with a MC depth finder but all the other ones in other boats work at speed, which is a good thing for those unexpected sand bars or shallow spots.

Tourney Team 197
09-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Sorry for the threadjack Roonie, but I'm curious, how much does a depth finder cost?

NeilM
09-05-2007, 03:16 PM
The short answer is: "it depends".
1) Typical thru-hull depth sounders are less sensitive than a properly set/installed transom or flush mount unit. Thru hulls typically will lose their readings first.

2) If you are in a deeper lake - say 60 feet or more, you likely won't get a reading at speed unless the bottom of the lake is solid rock with very little silt or weeds on top. I know I don't - drove me crazy at first.

3) If you are in 25 feet or less water and can't get a reading at speed, then there's likely something wrong with the installation: might be an air bubble in the resin used to mount it to the hull, OR something nearby where it is mounted is causing bubbles / turbulence to flow across the path of where the transducer "puck" is mounted.

4) Weeds can attenuate the signal from the transducer as well. If you have very heavy 8' weeds in 15' of water, you may lose a reading at speed.

5) There are specialty places that carry high-output sonar systems, but they're hard to find and expensive.

So, if you're in 25 feet or less water, it should be working for you (that's when you need it the most). The lake I was on this summer was 600 to 1158 deep, so the sounder rarely ever worked, even standing still (but you don't care because you're not going to wring your prop on something shallow).

I hope that helps..

jmmcalpin
09-05-2007, 06:55 PM
I have had the lowrance depth finder on my previous boat and my new xstar. It has worked at any speed and should .. If it stops working at speed most likely it was installed in a place where water turbulance is distrupting it. or it was installed with bubbles in the epoxy.. Bring it back to where it was installed and have them reinstall the transducer.. If anyone knows where they are installed on the new boats you might want to compare yours to one installed by the boat mfg. Mine is right next to the engine very close to the middle ... I am actually going to replace my transducer tomorrow.. it went bad on my after three years.

Roonie's
09-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Sorry for the threadjack Roonie, but I'm curious, how much does a depth finder cost?

My dealer gave me installed $250 with purchase of boat

Roonie's
09-06-2007, 12:33 PM
So it sounds like it is not properly installed as it has never worked even in shallow lakes with max depth of 15 feet. The depth finder will stop working around 15 mph and just blink last depth no matter how deep the lake or shallow and has never worked at speed yet. It is only two months old since install. The install was done right next to the engine near the middle so I think it is located in the right place but must have air in the resin. I will have them look at it more carefully.

ttu
09-06-2007, 12:34 PM
roonie, i have the factory installed one that came in the boat. no problems as of yet.

on my old supra (factory installed) did the same thing that yours is doing.

i would be the transducer needs to be moved.

Ric
09-06-2007, 01:25 PM
I would have assumed that the transdeucer is reading through an area of the hull where a bubble stream is passing while underway... no?

NeilM
09-10-2007, 05:23 PM
So it sounds like it is not properly installed as it has never worked even in shallow lakes with max depth of 15 feet. The depth finder will stop working around 15 mph and just blink last depth no matter how deep the lake or shallow and has never worked at speed yet. It is only two months old since install. The install was done right next to the engine near the middle so I think it is located in the right place but must have air in the resin. I will have them look at it more carefully.

Definitely not working right. In 15 feet, you should be able to get a reading at wide open throttle (unless it's real choppy and air is getting under the hull)

Roonie's
09-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Dealer fixed it. I will be picking up this week so I will see if it works. Not sure yet what they did to fix it.