PDA

View Full Version : First stages of Dating!

jaxrider
09-05-2007, 12:24 PM
I didnít want to thread jack the Homecoming thread so I will start my own on a similar subject.

After dating woman for 7 years we have decided to go our separate ways. So, now I find myself back in the dating game where I am completely uncomfortable. I have been on a few dates with a nice girl who is working on her Doctoral Degree and things are going well. She has been completely honest in letting me know to take things slow due to prior relationships. Here is my question. How do you show a woman that you are interested in her without being overbearing? I feel if I donít spend time with her it will leave the door open for others to cut in.

I know this isn't the coolest topic but with the SS thread down I am lost and bored at work.

kycat2007
09-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Pm me and I would love to give you some info.

tones03
09-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Im in the same boat, i havent gone on any dates though, more random meetings and group things. Met a girl labor day weekend need to call. Good luck to you.

trickskier
09-05-2007, 12:35 PM
When you fix my stereo..............I'll give you some pointers............:D J/K (My fault not getting back to you)
Sorry to hear about your past relationship not working out...........Seriously, go out with friends often so she won't feel uncomfortable..........Ask her out on the boat when you have a lot of people going with you...........From what you've said I think she'll feel more comfortable in a casual outing, rather than going to dinner.
Most importantly, I hope she's a GATOR!!!

Good Luck Buddy!!!

X2M
09-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Communication is the best way to let her know you are interested. Talk to her and return the honesty. :twocents:

tex
09-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Does she ski? I'll need pictures to help!

Sodar
09-05-2007, 12:37 PM
The key to not being overbearing is to NOT BE OVERBEARING!! In my experience, the more effort I have put into early on in the relationship, the more the girls have strayed. I think it is that you do not want to portray that you are as interested as you really are. I have started to look at it in a "if it happens, it happens" situation. Try not to force... if it is meant to be, it will happen. Hang out with her, enjoy your time with her, but protect yourself and always be looking for a "Plan B"

JBaker
09-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I’ll give you a quick, serious response before this thread gets out of hand.

Don’t handcuff your girl. I know a lot of dudes who try this. It doesn’t make any sense; if your relationship is such that a member of the opposite sex can come between the two of you, better to have it happen sooner than later. Let her do her thing. This also makes for a more comfortable relationship for you as she will likely concede more freedom for you in return.

If you are into her, she will know. And don’t lie to yourself if you start to think she might not be into you. Just trust your gut.

Plan B would be to trade your MC on a go-fast boat that all the divorced men with small wangs drive on my lake.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-05-2007, 12:38 PM
As my good friend Tex once said: "Take her on your boat and show her the engine cover." :D :D

That oughtta show her your interested. :cool:

For real though, just tell her exactly what you told us. Tell her your interested in her, but dont wanna be overbearing and scare her away. She may be impressed by your honesty, and your respecting her space too. she may really appreciate that. if that dont work, show her the engine cover.

jaxrider
09-05-2007, 12:44 PM
I like the engine cover line! Trick, her football team is her one flaw so far. She is a graduate of USC and an avid gamecock fan. But she does love football!

trickskier
09-05-2007, 12:45 PM
As my good friend Tex once said: "Take her on your boat and show her the engine cover." :D :D

That oughtta show her your interested. :cool:
Thank goodness he has a V-Drive.......................:rolleyes:

trickskier
09-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Trick, her football team is her one flaw so far. She is a graduate of USC and an avid gamecock fan. But she does love football!
Well, thank God she's not a dawg...................;)

JBaker
09-05-2007, 12:48 PM
For real though, just tell her exactly what you told us. Tell her your interested in her, but dont wanna be overbearing and scare her away. She may be impressed by your honesty, and your respecting her space too. she may really appreciate that.

IMO doing this would be like playing a poker game with your hand exposed.

KnoxX2
09-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Well, thank God she's not a dawg...................;)

Well wait a min we haven't seen any pics yet! JK:D

trickskier
09-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Well wait a min we haven't seen any pics yet! JK:D
Knox you know better..............Gators & dawgs just don't mix..........;)
Besides, I've been to Jax's house...............Let just say it a target RICH environment..............:D

TMCNo1
09-05-2007, 12:52 PM
As my good friend Tex once said: "Take her on your boat and show her the engine cover."

That oughtta show her your interested.

For real though, just tell her exactly what you told us. Tell her your interested in her, but dont wanna be overbearing and scare her away. She may be impressed by your honesty, and your respecting her space too. she may really appreciate that. if that dont work, show her the engine cover.

And never, never, ask her if she wants to see your propshaft or try to explain a shaft alignment, unless she asks you to raise the motor cover!:rolleyes::D ;)

tex
09-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Iíll give you a quick, serious response before this thread gets out of hand.

Donít handcuff your girl. I know a lot of dudes who try this. It doesnít make any sense; if your relationship is such that a member of the opposite sex can come between the two of you, better to have it happen sooner than later. Let her do her thing. This also makes for a more comfortable relationship for you as she will likely concede more freedom for you in return.

If you are into her, she will know. And donít lie to yourself if you start to think she might not be into you. Just trust your gut.

Plan B would be to trade your MC on a go-fast boat that all the divorced men with small wangs drive on my lake.
He wants to be serious and mentions handcuffs in the first couple of sentences?

east tx skier
09-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I didnít want to thread jack the Homecoming thread so I will start my own on a similar subject.

After dating woman for 7 years we have decided to go our separate ways. So, now I find myself back in the dating game where I am completely uncomfortable. I have been on a few dates with a nice girl who is working on her Doctoral Degree and things are going well. She has been completely honest in letting me know to take things slow due to prior relationships. Here is my question. How do you show a woman that you are interested in her without being overbearing? I feel if I donít spend time with her it will leave the door open for others to cut in.

I know this isn't the coolest topic but with the SS thread down I am lost and bored at work.

Don't laugh, but what always worked for me was to pretend that I didn't really like them all that much, but continue doing really nice things for them. Call often, but on no regular sort of basis. Don't get on a daily too soon. The only time it is okay to have a conversation "about where the relationship is going" is when it is painfully obvious to all necessary parties where the relationship is headed and/or has arrived. Just enjoy yourself and leave the thinking about it up to her.

This theory was the byproduct of my analysis of the situation after a few failed relationships. When I finally employed this process, I didn't have a chance to test it a second time. It helped me to meet, date, and not screw up the dating relationship with my wife. Of course, by the time we married, she and I were good at dating one another as we'd been doing so for nearly four years.

Maristar210
09-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Hang her from her heels and see if she drips

I am kidding

I would say:

"I am not going to push myself on you but I want you to know I am serious about getting to know you better and I don't plan on seeing anyone else in hopes that we have a future with one another."

If she looks touched by that stament you've hit a spot. If she looks at you like your the dude from Cape Fear you have no chance.

TMCNo1
09-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Don't laugh, but what always worked for me was to pretend that I didn't really like them all that much, but continue doing really nice things for them. Call often, but on no regular sort of basis. Don't get on a daily too soon. The only time it is okay to have a conversation "about where the relationship is going" is when it is painfully obvious to all necessary parties where the relationship is headed and/or has arrived. Just enjoy yourself and leave the thinking about it up to her.

This theory was the byproduct of my analysis of the situation after a few failed relationships. When I finally employed this process, I didn't have a chance to test it a second time. It helped me to meet, date, and not screw up the dating relationship with my wife. Of course, by the time we married, she and I were good at dating one another as we'd been doing so for nearly four years.

Doug, you really have a way with words, that what be bruitiful!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

09-05-2007, 01:04 PM
IMO doing this would be like playing a poker game with your hand exposed.
Well I didnt say it would work did I? :rolleyes:

Go with the engine cover. :cool:

Maristar210
09-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Doug, you really have a way with words, that what be bruitiful!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

What? I think Harold has doubled his pain meds again :rolleyes:

Maristar210
09-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Well I didnt say it would work did I? :rolleyes:

Go with the engine cover. :cool:

UMP
You giving advice about dating is like the forty year old virgin giving advice about sechs :D :D

JimN
09-05-2007, 01:08 PM
And remember, there's a fine line between making eye contact and the piercing gaze of a psychopath.:D

jaxrider
09-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the compliments Trick. I have a couple of pictures and she is pretty hot but she stands out from the rest of the talent floating around my house. I think it is because she actually has a good job. I will wait a while before posting them on the internet. I am sure that would go over extremely well..........."Hey, I've only known you for about 2 weeks but why are you putting my picture up on a message forum?"

east tx skier
09-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Oh, and the whole thing about being honest about your feelings toward her in hopes that she'd find that to be a refreshing change from the typical game playing that goes on in dating is what the fairer sex always says that they want, but when it comes down to it, seems to come off as you pushing an issue prematurely. To quote Jerry Seinfeld loosely, "No playing games? How do you know if you're winning otherwise?"

Again, if you have any questions about the status of your relationship, then it is too soon to have a conversation about it. I still recall having the conversation with my now-wife about whether we were dating exclusively. We had been dating exclusively for seven months at that point. It was a formality. She rolled her eyes and said, "Well I'm not looking to date anyone else at this point if that's what you're asking." Then we both ordered another round.

The best thing you can do is not think about it and have a good time. Oh, and always kiss on the first date. It makes the possibility of her thinking that you want to be "just friends" a nonissue.

09-05-2007, 01:25 PM
And remember, there's a fine line between making eye contact and the piercing gaze of a psychopath.:D
Just like Spinal Tap said! "there is fine line between clever and stupid.":D

east tx skier
09-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the compliments Trick. I have a couple of pictures and she is pretty hot but she stands out from the rest of the talent floating around my house. I think it is because she actually has a good job. I will wait a while before posting them on the internet. I am sure that would go over extremely well..........."Hey, I've only known you for about 2 weeks but why are you putting my picture up on a message forum?"

I think Mag has had that convseration before. 8p

09-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Oh, and the whole thing about being honest about your feelings toward her in hopes that she'd find that to be a refreshing change from the typical game playing that goes on in dating is what the fairer sex always says that they want, but when it comes down to it, seems to come off as you pushing an issue prematurely. To quote Jerry Seinfeld loosely, "No playing games? How do you know if you're winning otherwise?"

Again, if you have any questions about the status of your relationship, then it is too soon to have a conversation about it. I still recall having the conversation with my wife about whether we were dating exclusively. We had been dating exclusively for seven months at that point. It was a formality. She rolled her eyes and said, "Well I'm not looking to date anyone else at this point if that's what you're asking." Then we both ordered another round.

The best thing you can do is not think about it and have a good time. Oh, and always kiss on the first date. It makes the possibility of her thinking that you want to be "just friends" a nonissue.
You drink?

09-05-2007, 01:37 PM
I think Mag has had that convseration before. 8p
Oooooo! Badum tish!

"Boat Mate"?

pq2
09-05-2007, 01:51 PM
remember what the old man said in the weading singer, on the bar scene???

tex
09-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Come on, it's only the boys...no one else will see.

TX.X-30 fan
09-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Communication is the best way to let her know you are interested. Talk to her and return the honesty. :twocents:

My eyes have rolled so far back in my skull I'm blind!!!!!! :D :D

X2M
09-05-2007, 03:34 PM
My eyes have rolled so far back in my skull I'm blind!!!!!! :D :D

hahahahahaha. whatever..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

03 35th Anniversary
09-05-2007, 03:58 PM

I'm with you TX.X-30. This seem to get me in more trouble than anything, and its all over small stuff.

TX.X-30 fan
09-05-2007, 04:04 PM
hahahahahaha. whatever..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

210 Said it best the only communication needed after an intimate interlude is Get me a sandwich , and she replies what kind darling, and he says roast beef and don't skimp on the beef, and she says, would you like a beer with that dear, ABSOLUTLY!! :D ;)

Sodar
09-05-2007, 04:20 PM
210 Said it best the only communication needed after an intimate interlude is Get me a sandwich , and she replies what kind darling, and he says roast beef and don't skimp on the beef, and she says, would you like a beer with that dear, ABSOLUTLY!! :D ;)

Pure, unadultrated brilliance! :D

TheOneandOnly
09-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Ask her what she likes to do and take her there. Take it slow, dont call every day. Go to the fair, something exotic when she does give you the time.

IMO- if she says she wants to take it slow she might not be thinking your the one (long term wise), Ive used this comment with girls I only wanted one thing from. I wouldnt play your hand and tell her how you feel like others have said, that is just stupid.

Good lick I mean luck...

TX.X-30 fan
09-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Pure, unadulterated brilliance! :D

YOU ARE WISE BEYOND YOUR YEARS SODARSKI73!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8p

pilot02
09-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Below is the response I received during my feeble attempt at open conversation with the lady I'm dating this morning......... REALLY stuck my foot in my mouth here... Ooops!! :(

"Reserved in bed? Damn! I am glad I did not pick today to be the day to feel really good about myself!"

X2M
09-05-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm with you TX.X-30. This seem to get me in more trouble than anything, and its all over small stuff.

I guess I need to clarify my post since some of you seem to have gotten so much humor...or disgust out of it.

Jax said that he likes a girl but she wants to take it slow. He asked for some wisdom from the board on how to let her know he was interested in more when she was ready.

My advice to him was to talk to her about it. Like, I am interested in more and when you are ready let me know. Not for him to have a deep 'are we in a relationship' talk with her.

What's with the whole sandwich thing? You seriously think your women are going to get you a sandwich and beer when you snap your fingers? Yeah, they might eventually get you one, but I wouldnt eat it if I were you.....

TX.X-30 fan
09-05-2007, 06:04 PM
I guess I need to clarify my post since some of you seem to have gotten so much humor...or disgust out of it.

What's with the whole sandwich thing? You seriously think your women are going to get you a sandwich and beer when you snap your fingers? Yeah, they might eventually get you one, but I wouldnt eat it if I were you.....

All in fun Momma!!!! 8p

Prostar in Michigain
09-05-2007, 06:16 PM
hey man thanks for not jacking the homecoming thead and good luck with your dating

03 35th Anniversary
09-06-2007, 05:53 AM

See!!! I was honest and now I feel like I am in trouble.:D 8p

No, snaping my fingers is for something else....:D j/k

Just for the record this little bit of honesty will probably get me in trouble also.