PDA

View Full Version : Dock bumper guards

76S&S
09-05-2007, 11:05 AM
I've built a new pier and am looking for some suggestion for bumper guards.

Our water does not fluctuate very much (give or take 6 inches) so the pier is stationary and the top of the pier is on average about 14" above the water. We get a fair amount of boat trafic where we are so I need something to keep the boat from crashing into the pier.

Here are my thoughts so far.

Grey PVC conduit driven into the bottom of the lake, about every three feet. This would allow the boat to "slide" up and down the PVC.

Boat bumpers attached to the pier horizonatlly. Very cushy but I'm concerned that it may scuff the side of the boat over time.

So, what have you had success with and what do you like the most?

Rich_G
09-05-2007, 12:28 PM
The PVC works well, but I would recommend every 2 ft. on areas that you will park next to. This pic is inside my boat slip where the bow is; place a foot apart.

I used 1.5" Schedule 40 (heavy duty) PVC. Notice how it is lag bolted at the top. Drive the pipe where you want it, cut the angle off at the top with a skill saw, then bolt it.

Sodar
09-05-2007, 12:41 PM
I ran 2" PVC pipe 12" above the dock and 12" below the dock to ensure that the boat would not come above or below the PVC. It worked very well for my old boat with plastic rubrail, but since I got my new boat with Stainless Steel Rubrails, I just anchor it off the dock and never let it get close to the thing. Lets me rest a little easier when a wakeboat comes by 30' off the dock!

76S&S
09-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys.

Rich, that is exactly what I was thinking about but since my dock is so low I would need for the PVC to extend above the dock to meet up with the rub rail.

Soday, How did you attach the PVC to the dock?

ski_king
09-05-2007, 12:53 PM
I attached verticle 2x4's to the side of my dock and then attached the bumpers to them. I bought dock bumper material at Lowes, but took it off and replaced it with stair tread carpets that I shaped in a D. It extendes from the water line to about 2 feet above the dock surface.

The bumper material I bought Lowes was a big mistake. The white rubbed of onto my rubrail, now I need to replace the rubrail.

Also I would suggest PE over PVC pipe if you can find it. It will give more and not break as easily.

This picture shows my setup before I changed over to the carpet.

Sodar
09-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I got a peice of 1.75" square tubing. Drilled and tapped 3/8" thread holes, then slid the tubing into the PVC and then bolted from the back side of the dock into the tubing. (After drilling holes in the back side of the PVC for the bolts to go through and into the threaded holes). Mounting it this did 2 things. First, it gave a smooth surface on the front for rubrail to gilde on and second, it gave some additional rigidity to the PVC.

TX.X-30 fan
09-05-2007, 02:29 PM
I went to a marina to gas up and they had used old fire hose. They made it look like Xmas ribbon candy. It was very easy to dock next to, rigid enough to hold the boat off the boards but enough give not to damage.

Sodar
09-05-2007, 02:33 PM
I went to a marina to gas up and they had used old fire hose. They made it look like Xmas ribbon candy. It was very easy to dock next to, rigid enough to hold the boat off the boards but enough give not to damage.

That stuff will scratch the gelcoat though. I will try to dig up some pictures of our old Hydrodyne (Beater Boat). It sat against nylon firehose dock edge its whole life and it shows!!

chudson
09-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Or........

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Dock+bumper+guards&btnG=Google+Search

TX.X-30 fan
09-05-2007, 02:36 PM
That stuff will scratch the gelcoat though. I will try to dig up some pictures of our old Hydrodyne (Beater Boat). It sat against nylon firehose dock edge its whole life and it shows!!

Hey look at the source, you were expecting something brilliant. :D :rolleyes:

Sodar
09-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Hey look at the source, you were expecting something brilliant. :D :rolleyes:

Absolutely! You and Ric both amaze me sometimes!