PDA

View Full Version : Transmission/Oil change,,,,,

RK@UST
09-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Getting the transmission fluid and engine oil changed . MCX
If you have this done for you, what do expect to pay ?

michael freeman
09-05-2007, 10:00 AM
I can't remember what I paid but if you change the transmission filter it costs quite a bit more. Just the oil and trans fluid change was still expensive. I will look up the cost tonight if someone doesn't ring in with an answer.

bigmac
09-05-2007, 10:53 AM
It's worth noting that it's a pretty easy job to do yourself on a V-drive....about 20 minutes with an oil suction device and a funnel, and the cost would therefore only be 4 quarts of 15W40 + the one-time cost of the suction device. The filter change is also not bad, if it really needs to be done, but that filter is something like $60 IIRC.

I warm the boat up on the lake and change engine and transmission oil on my boat lift. Pretty straightforward.

trickskier
09-05-2007, 10:59 AM
I agree with bigmac.............Do it yourself and save $$$..........:D

Chas
09-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Regarding the Velvet Drive: How often should the fluid be changed? Should I go by hours of operation or just do it Once a year? Can I go by the look/smell of the fluid similar to an automatic trans in a car?

I just bought my boat, and the fluid looks brand new and has no smell of burnt oil.

rspiecha
09-05-2007, 12:20 PM
I just got the news letter from Indmar, and they recommend oil/filter change in trans after 10 hours, then once a year. Here is the link to the newsletter.

http://www.indmar.com/News/ProgressivePower/MasterCraftPPissue1.pdf

Rob

TX.X-30 fan
03-13-2008, 11:51 AM
It's worth noting that it's a pretty easy job to do yourself on a V-drive....about 20 minutes with an oil suction device and a funnel, and the cost would therefore only be 4 quarts of 15W40 + the one-time cost of the suction device. The filter change is also not bad, if it really needs to be done, but that filter is something like $60 IIRC.

I warm the boat up on the lake and change engine and transmission oil on my boat lift. Pretty straightforward.

Changing the trans fluid today. So how do I warm the trans fluid before I change it. Will it warm up just running it on the driveway???

Thanks!

whitlecj
03-13-2008, 12:03 PM
If you have a fake-a-lake or a flush kit you can run it in the driveway while circulating water through the engine. I would not run it without circulating water through it though.

TX.X-30 fan
03-13-2008, 12:15 PM
If you have a fake-a-lake or a flush kit you can run it in the driveway while circulating water through the engine. I would not run it without circulating water through it though.

I have the flush kit, I was wondering if the trans oil would get warm in the driveway running the engine???

Probably a stupid question but just look at who is asking it!! :D :D

oldriver
03-13-2008, 01:07 PM
On the powerslot for my 1998 the tranny filter is 65 dollars.I does not have to be changed as it is steel.Remove and clean,re-install.Use caution you dont damage or lose the O-rings.I was not aware of filters on the 1:1 trans

TX.X-30 fan
03-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Bump, do I need to run the boat in water to warm the tranny oil or can I just run it in the drive. Thanks.

etakk7
03-13-2008, 02:16 PM
I believe you need to run it in gear in the water to warm the fluid. You don't want to run in gear out of the water.

TX.X-30 fan
03-13-2008, 03:13 PM
So there is no way to change the trans oil without a run in the lake???

flipper
03-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Running the engine won't warm up the tranny, but I don't bother running it to a lake most of the time. Never had water or anything in my, so just suck out the old, and in with the new.

TX.X-30 fan
03-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Running the engine won't warm up the tranny, but I don't bother running it to a lake most of the time. Never had water or anything in my, so just suck out the old, and in with the new.

Thanks Flipper, geeeez ask an oil viscosity question around here and get 50 answers in 10min. :D

Gonzo
03-13-2008, 06:07 PM
leaves me with one though, does a 1990 Tranny have a filter... seems like I read somewhere on here that not all MC Trannys had them. If so of course next quesiton is where do I gain access?

flipper
03-13-2008, 06:14 PM
leaves me with one though, does a 1990 Tranny have a filter... seems like I read somewhere on here that not all MC Trannys had them. If so of course next quesiton is where do I gain access?

Nope, no tranny fluid filter...that I know of.

flipper
03-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Being that you just got the boat, one filter you do need to keep an eye on is for the water. On the left side of the motor, you see a hose, with a can looking thing in the middle of it. Take the hoses off, and there's a screen in there. Stuff from the lake/river will clog that up.

Gonzo
03-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Being that you just got the boat, one filter you do need to keep an eye on is for the water. On the left side of the motor, you see a hose, with a can looking thing in the middle of it. Take the hoses off, and there's a screen in there. Stuff from the lake/river will clog that up.

Thanks!! Is that the thing that looks like a heat exchanger? I thought that was the tranny cooler. or are you talking further down?

Eagle Lake Rebel
03-13-2008, 11:07 PM
New V drive tranny filter lists for over $100.00. Poor mouthed my dealer down to $75 which is still a rip. After I'm done found the part on a post here that recommends going to Hale Marine to get one for under $40.00. Some shops say just clean the filter others say change it.

flipper
03-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks!! Is that the thing that looks like a heat exchanger? I thought that was the tranny cooler. or are you talking further down?

Yes, it's the tranny cooler, on I wish I had a picture.

Gonzo
03-17-2008, 01:37 AM
Thanks Flip, I will take note and get that done... should be easy enough. So do you flush water through the other way or just reach up there and pull the junk out??? Guess I can figure this out when I get there but why bother thinking when I have you guys.

jaspav
07-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I just removed my transmission filter, put it in a ziploc bag with mineral spirits, shook it around thoroughly and watched tiny deposits slowly drop to the bottom of the bag. I repeated this process with fresh mineral spirits and new bags until there were no more tiny deposits dropping to the bottom of the ziploc bags, then put a paper towel through the center of the filter to catch any more deposits and blew it dry.

All together there was not a whole lot in the filter (total of amount equaling maybe a dull pencil tip), but I would not recommend just blowing out the filter and sticking it back in. That was what I have read that a couple people here have done, I feel much better about the level of cleanliness from rinsing with a solvent verses only blowing it out with compressed air.

I also sucked out the transmission fluid through the filter hole instead of the dipstick for easier access, I can thank someone else on the board for recommending this, as it was much easier. I agree that $60 for this filter is unnecessary because of it being metal and can be cleaned very easily.