PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Note

limegreen
09-04-2007, 09:25 PM
The Tige's and BU's on my lake seem to rumble a little louder than my MCX. Do they use a different muffler, or go without?

east tx skier
09-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Not sure about the latest boats, but for a long time, noise reduction in the Malibu engine box was optional equipment.

limegreen
09-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Thinking about removing my mufflers for a little more report. I figure the length of the direct drive system would make a little less racket than a v drive..if it was piped straight through? Would I have performance issues?

Maristar210
09-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Thinking about removing my mufflers for a little more report. I figure the length of the direct drive system would make a little less racket than a v drive..if it was piped straight through? Would I have performance issues?

Why?

Bad idea IYAM

limegreen
09-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Why?

Bad idea IYAM

Addicted to the rumble. My suburban was outfitted with a Magnaflow system on day 2.

shepherd
09-05-2007, 01:31 AM
My '03 Mastercraft roars. My friend's '07 Nautique purrs. While the roar is cool, I could do without it... :cool: What sounds good to you or me is just noise pollution to everyone else. I'm with Maristar210 on this one ---> Why?

Jesus_Freak
09-05-2007, 03:52 AM
...Would I have performance issues?

Why would you ask this?

jkski
09-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Before you go pulling out mufflers, etc., go out in one of the 2007 or 2008 MC's with the ETX Cat Converters and the new baffles in the mufflers. In my opinion, they give that nice rumble (more than my 2005) without being loud and obnoxious.
If you like the sound, maybe you can retrofit your boat.

Maristar210
09-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Addicted to the rumble. My suburban was outfitted with a Magnaflow system on day 2.

I pray you don't live near me. That's obnoxious IMO.

Roonie's
09-05-2007, 09:53 AM
My 07 rumble's nicely. In fact I have had people say that sitting in the rear seat it can be too loud at take off. I love the engine noise. Better than any stereo. I would not want it any louder as it would be obnoxious. A guy on the lake has his mufflers above the water line with a flap on them on a regular I/O and it is the most obnoxious boat on the water. He thinks he is pretty cool though but most people just shake their heads at the noise pollution that thing spits out.

Chas
09-05-2007, 11:31 AM
I have had both - straight pipes and muffled. On boats with the center-mount engines such as our MC, the long exhaust combined with the cast-iron exhaust manifold seems to mute things nicely yet give a good strong sound for those of us who enjoy it. I had another brand of vessel which had copper pipes most of the way. It had a real nice sound when at WOT, and was not bothersome idling into the marina.

I can see why an I/O would be so much louder with thru-transom exhaust: the length from the manifold riser to the outlet can be measured in inches, and your noisy 'friend' may have eliminated the riser altogether and gone for a straighter performance manifold. Those can we very loud.

Chas
09-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Performance exhaust without riser:
http://www.portcarlingboats.com/crackerbox%20notes_files/Dsc03270a.jpg

M-Funf
09-05-2007, 12:37 PM
My question is why as well. I like a good rumble myself, but I'm always thinking about my passengers. If the droning noise is too much for them, I try to change the RPM's a little to quiet it down. I'm thinking about adding sound dampening material to the inside of the doghouse this winter to quiet it down.

Both of my boats have straight pipes with no exhaust risers. One has rubber tube (MC), the other has CU pipe (Cadillac Crusader). The Caddy is a BEAST, and I don't think it's going to be acceptable from a noise standpoint.

As a comparison, I installed a high performance exhaust on my BMW (Headers, race cats, X-Pipe, and high flow exhaust). It sounded almost like a Nascar engine!!! Although I loved the sound, my neighbors were not quite as enthused, and let me know about it. My wife liked it from the inside of the car (she's a self-proclaimed gearhead), but passengers often said it was too loud. I eventually swapped the cats back to stock to tone it down a bit.

As with others, this is just my :twocents:

limegreen
09-05-2007, 01:19 PM
I have had both - straight pipes and muffled. On boats with the center-mount engines such as our MC, the long exhaust combined with the cast-iron exhaust manifold seems to mute things nicely yet give a good strong sound for those of us who enjoy it. I had another brand of vessel which had copper pipes most of the way. It had a real nice sound when at WOT, and was not bothersome idling into the marina.

I can see why an I/O would be so much louder with thru-transom exhaust: the length from the manifold riser to the outlet can be measured in inches, and your noisy 'friend' may have eliminated the riser altogether and gone for a straighter performance manifold. Those can we very loud.

Thanks for the insight - I think your assessment is right on. With my cast iron manifolds, and long exhaust, and mufflers - it is very quiet - noticeably quieter than other late model boats - which are usually v drives now that I think about it (shorter exhaust).

I think I can cut out the mufflers and still not be obnoxious. I don't wanna be obnoxious, but I would like to hear it.

limegreen
09-05-2007, 01:20 PM
My '03 Mastercraft roars. My friend's '07 Nautique purrs. While the roar is cool, I could do without it... :cool: What sounds good to you or me is just noise pollution to everyone else. I'm with Maristar210 on this one ---> Why?

Mine is 03 too. I wonder why mine is quieter?

limegreen
09-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Why would you ask this?

Backpressure. I don't understand that stuff much.

limegreen
09-05-2007, 01:25 PM
I pray you don't live near me. That's obnoxious IMO.

Rest easy; I am pretty sure I don't - unless you are Mormon:)

The magnaflow system is not that aggressive - it is actually pretty mainstream for gear queers. Like most flowmasters, but more mellow - not raspy or cackle...

Not near as bad as my unplugged 450 thumper dirt bike or my two stroke 1000cc twin snowmobile. Neighbors hate it when I am loading those - but most of them are gear queers too.:D

Maristar210
09-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Rest easy; I am pretty sure I don't - unless you are Mormon:)

The magnaflow system is not that aggressive - it is actually pretty mainstream for gear queers. Like most flowmasters, but more mellow - not raspy or cackle...

Not near as bad as my unplugged 450 thumper dirt bike or my two stroke 1000cc twin snowmobile. Neighbors hate it when I am loading those - but most of them are gear queers too.:D

Haaa you are correct. But across the water versus land makes all the differrrence in the world.

I had a 1973 CZ 400 motocrosser last summer. Waaay louder than my KTM 525 with the open FMF. That thing had the neighbors coming out of thier houses :D

I like the boat quiet. It's almost slealthy

shepherd
09-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Mine is 03 too. I wonder why mine is quieter?

Different engine.

Sodar
09-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Quieter the better. If you want a loud boat buy one that actually goes fast.

I love all these pie-holes out there who want their boats to sound like a 120mph boat. Pisses me off when I hear a good sounding motor, but when I turn around to see grandma and grandpa on their 28' pontoon with thru-hull exhaust....

Skiboats are made to be quiet... keep them quiet.

shepherd
09-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Quieter the better. If you want a loud boat buy one that actually goes fast.

Skiboats are made to be quiet... keep them quiet.

Agreed. My boat came loud - but that's not why I bought it. But if I had a quiet boat that purred, I'd be happy with it. I certainly wouldn't modify it to make it louder.

It's also a courtesy thing. If you're a slalom skier like me, you like to get out early in the morning for the slick water (I wait until 8:30 or 9 am with my boat). I don't need to be pissing off the local property owners... not only is it rude, but buoys would probably start disappearing.

Sodar
09-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Agreed. My boat came loud - but that's not why I bought it. But if I had a quiet boat that purred, I'd be happy with it. I certainly wouldn't modify it to make it louder.

My boat is not even that loud, but if I could make it quieter I would... it would make the neighbors much happier on those morning ski runs!

shepherd
09-05-2007, 02:28 PM
You should hear how quiet my friend's '07 Nautique is -- it's awesome. I assume the new MC's are just as quiet, but there aren't any on our lake.

tones03
09-05-2007, 02:48 PM
If it isnt a 60ft cigarette boat with a couple blown 502's i would say skip the exhuast, those type of boats are the ones that can get away with it IMO, but it is your boat so you can do w/e you want to it. :)

limegreen
09-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Sheeesh!!! I am getting pummeled here! Forget I asked!!:o

FYI closest residence to my main spot = 10 miles. They shouldn't mind.

Maristar210
09-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Sheeesh!!! I am getting pummeled here! Forget I asked!!:o

FYI closest residence to my main spot = 10 miles. They shouldn't mind.

That's the thing. When you ask an opinion. Your going to get one.
If you want to put straight Kerkers and Crager mags on your 50K ski boat thats up to you.
People that own these boats are not necessarily concerned with social appearance of that associated with someone who thinks they need a loud exhaust. For me it is no different than the person who has to have the loudest bump in thier stereo so people will notice them at a stoplight.

Look at me !!! Notice me !!! Everyone should think I'm cool because my stuff is loud or wicked or sick when in fact people with true values respect qualities like integrity, honesty and reliability.
As you age you learn that people who matter don't care how many square feet your house is or how big your wife's junk is.

I know lots of name throwers who are soley focused on circling the right crowd. The very crowd I refuse to associate with.

If you think your loud exhaust is cool because you think it's cool thats one thing but I suspect most use it as attention attractions which can only increase the no wake hours on our bodies of water.

I love my 6 am runs, the quiet exhaust that accomapanies it and does not give the residents a reason to complain.

Keeper Shhh!!!!

limegreen
09-06-2007, 12:05 AM
That's the thing. When you ask an opinion. Your going to get one.
If you want to put straight Kerkers and Crager mags on your 50K ski boat thats up to you.
People that own these boats are not necessarily concerned with social appearance of that associated with someone who thinks they need a loud exhaust. For me it is no different than the person who has to have the loudest bump in thier stereo so people will notice them at a stoplight.

Look at me !!! Notice me !!! Everyone should think I'm cool because my stuff is loud or wicked or sick when in fact people with true values respect qualities like integrity, honesty and reliability.
As you age you learn that people who matter don't care how many square feet your house is or how big your wife's junk is.

I know lots of name throwers who are soley focused on circling the right crowd. The very crowd I refuse to associate with.

If you think your loud exhaust is cool because you think it's cool thats one thing but I suspect most use it as attention attractions which can only increase the no wake hours on our bodies of water.

I love my 6 am runs, the quiet exhaust that accomapanies it and does not give the residents a reason to complain.

Keeper Shhh!!!!

Sorry, ya got the wrong guy. This isn't me. I am a gear queer, redneck, and I just love the rumble. Simple as that. I am so done with this topic and wish I never brought it up. Believe me I don't own a lime green boat because I care what people think of it.

I am generally on the glass with my young family when everyone else isn't. When the types you are talking about come out I am wiping her down and going home.

Maristar210
09-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Sorry, ya got the wrong guy. This isn't me. I am a gear queer, redneck, and I just love the rumble. Simple as that. I am so done with this topic and wish I never brought it up. Believe me I don't own a lime green boat because I care what people think of it.

I am generally on the glass with my young family when everyone else isn't. When the types you are talking about come out I am wiping her down and going home.

I throw the BS flag on all accounts. I have read your posts.

***E

M-Funf
09-06-2007, 12:13 AM
staristar...could'nt have said it better...I knew I liked you no matter what UMP, Lakey, ETS, bri, HB, and a few others said about you...:rolleyes:

Jesus_Freak
09-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Backpressure. I don't understand that stuff much.

That is what I thought you would say. ;)

This topic has been addressed to some extent in http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16293,

limegreen
09-06-2007, 01:43 PM
I throw the BS flag on all accounts. I have read your posts.

***E

Not sure what this means. Seems pretty broadbrush having never met me.

I promise I won't cut out the mufflers. I'll leave er quiet. All the noise pollution comments are valid for sure.

Maristar210
09-06-2007, 01:57 PM

I promise I won't cut out the mufflers. I'll leave er quiet. All the noise pollution comments are valid for sure.

I am just messing with you.

I meant what I said about keeping the boat quiet though. A buddy of mine has open headers on his 427 Camaro. Thats sawheet.

Love your boat. Love the color.

Taker easy

limegreen
09-06-2007, 02:00 PM
I am just messing with you.

I meant what I said about keeping the boat quiet though. A buddy of mine has open headers on his 427 Camaro. Thats sawheet.

Love your boat. Love the color.

Taker easy

Cool. Thanks.

tommcat
09-06-2007, 02:09 PM
I think my LT1 sounds nice but it is fairly quiet. especially in comparison to my buddies early 90s Brendella which has no mufflers on it.

plus i dont want the exhaust sound to drown out the speakers;)

wgwollet
09-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Limegreen:

I too like the rumble sound.....like the old Chris Crafts....my MCX is too quite.......I boat on a very large lake with no houses and it nice to heard the engine...not excessive but more then the standard MCX in a Maristar.....

Wally

limegreen
09-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Limegreen:

I too like the rumble sound.....like the old Chris Crafts....my MCX is too quite.......I boat on a very large lake with no houses and it nice to heard the engine...not excessive but more then the standard MCX in a Maristar.....

Wally

I wonder if there is something in between...I might pull over a boat that I like the sound and ask em if I can have a look!!

milkmania
09-07-2007, 12:36 AM

that is a beautiful boat.....

what's wrong with installing what I've heard referred to as "Captain's Call" exhaust.....seen it on a lot of Crownlines.....

http://www.marineparts.com/mpf/mpf324.aspx

you get the best of both worlds:confused:

shepherd
09-07-2007, 10:17 AM
dang, we had him convinced... and along comes milk! :rolleyes: ;)

Sodar
09-07-2007, 11:24 AM
that is a beautiful boat.....

what's wrong with installing what I've heard referred to as "Captain's Call" exhaust.....seen it on a lot of Crownlines.....

http://www.marineparts.com/mpf/mpf324.aspx

you get the best of both worlds:confused:

See how many issues there are with Captain's Call and SilentChoice... it ain't pretty!