View Full Version : Best Way To Get Algae And Water Stains Off Boat

O2BESOHUGE
09-04-2007, 12:04 PM
My Boat Looks Like Hell....and The Bottom Looks Like The Black Pearl

What Do I Do? Pressure Washing Only Does So Much

O2

JohnE
09-04-2007, 12:09 PM
An acid based product named "on/off" takes it right off. But a few guys here say it can damage the gelcoat. I've used it on various boats and never had a problem. Also talked to guys here who use it with no complaints.

O2BESOHUGE
09-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Rubbing Compound? But How Do I Do The Bottom?

beef
09-04-2007, 12:19 PM
1/2 plain blue Lysol toilet bowl cleaner + 1/2 hydrogen peroxide. Mix only a small amount, since the unused mixture loses it's effeciveness after a short period.

spray or wipe on with a sponge, then hose off. Wax & done. Works as well as On & Off and isn't nearly as nasty. Credit to Tony from the Bu site for this recipe. I use it regularly.

PaulW
09-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Acid, put it in a garden pump sprayer and reduce with water 50% or less. Were a respirator it will smoke and burn your lungs. Spray and brush, the stuff comes right off. Keep it off your skin.

JohnE
09-04-2007, 12:27 PM
1/2 plain blue Lysol toilet bowl cleaner + 1/2 hydrogen peroxide. Mix only a small amount, since the unused mixture loses it's effeciveness after a short period.

spray or wipe on with a sponge, then hose off. Wax & done. Works as well as On & Off and isn't nearly as nasty. Credit to Tony from the Bu site for this recipe. I use it regularly.

Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Leroy
09-04-2007, 12:29 PM
What ever you try test it on a small spot first.

trickskier
09-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Rubbing Compound? But How Do I Do The Bottom?
Here's how you do the bottom.................;)

O2BESOHUGE
09-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Yikes!! How Did You Get The Trailer Out From Under It? Or Put It Back On The Trailer?

That Looks Like An Accident Waiting To Happen To Me!

T Scott
09-04-2007, 01:23 PM
I have always used "Sno-Bowl" liquid toilet bowl cleaner. Pour it into a spray bottle and spray it all over the bottom of the boat. Make sure you are up wind and you don't want to be breathing that stuff! Also, wear some rubber gloves as it can burn your skin. After this procedure, put a good coat of wax on it.

trickskier
09-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Yikes!! How Did You Get The Trailer Out From Under It? Or Put It Back On The Trailer?

That Looks Like An Accident Waiting To Happen To Me!
Took it off the trailer with one floor jack.............;)

TMCNo1
09-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Took it off the trailer with one floor jack.............;)

Don't make me laugh, after seeing the pics of you barefootin', I know you just lifted that boat off the trailer with your bare hands and placed it on those styro blocks, you da man!

O2BESOHUGE
09-04-2007, 04:22 PM
I Must Be An Idiot! How With 1 Floor Jack?

88 PS190
09-04-2007, 04:28 PM
With the trailer jack.

You drop the tonque, and block the rear, then raise the tongue which places the load onto the blocks in the rear, block the front up, and lower the trailer to level. Then the boat is elevated.

The axle is the pivot point.

Muriatic Acid...

justinlkgb
09-04-2007, 04:31 PM
how bad is it??/ I will get you a pic of my lake. Kind of like the cat in the hat rim around my hull. :mad:

Here is the boat on the lift. ITs a little tough to see in the day sun, but believe me its bad. However being I have waxed 2-3 times already this year it just wipes off with a microfiber towel.

cm02WS6
09-04-2007, 04:36 PM
I've been using toilet bowl cleaner and that works really good for a lot of water stains on the sides of the boat. Vinegar also works really good. However, under the hull is a different story and it takes a long time to do much good there. Probably has something to do with the amount of crap that doesn't get wiped off the bottom every time. I'm planning on trying some CLR on it, but that 1/2 toilet bowl cleaner and 1/2 hydrogen peroxide idea sounds pretty good.

123src
09-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Here is what I used earlier this year. It worked very fast and like a charm. It is an acid that attacks organic material. This bottle came with my boat when I bought it, but I never looked at it. When I used it, I brushed it on and hosed it off about 30 seconds later. It stripped all the discoloring off AS WELL AS ALL WAX AND POLISH. It worked great.

trickskier
09-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Don't make me laugh, after seeing the pics of you barefootin', I know you just lifted that boat off the trailer with your bare hands and placed it on those styro blocks, you da man!
Hey #1, I had not barefooted on a long line in 10 years................Busted my rearend twice before getting it...........;)

trickskier
09-04-2007, 05:16 PM
I Must Be An Idiot! How With 1 Floor Jack?
You jackup the bow and place a styrofoam block under it. Then you jack behind the block and pull the trailer as far forward as you. Jack up both sides of the rear and place blocks under the rear. Then go back to the front & repeat until you get the trailer out from under it. Took me about 30 minutes...............;)

Doug G
09-04-2007, 06:49 PM
I assume since it has Black Pearl status the boat stays in the water. If not well, then clean the dayummm thing when you pull it ;)

Others may say it ain't smart but I use a magic eraser on everything I can reach below the water line while it is in the water and never get that level of build up. No scratches or other issues either. Combined with good waxing, no Black Pearl effect and it stays in a slip all season except for maintenance and cleaning pull outs.

If it is already at Black Pearl status it may be too late for my routine, ask Davey Jones.

O2BESOHUGE
09-04-2007, 11:26 PM
It Doesnt Stay Inthe Water All The Time. It Was Inthe Water About 2 Weeks While I Had The Trailer Re-done. Not More Than A Day Or So From Now On..i Learned My Lesson!

O2

Doug G
09-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Must be some nice water to make it that bad in 2 weeks.

justinlkgb
09-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Here is the green as of about 1PM Today.

justinlkgb
09-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Here is what i need to walk on to get in the boat!!

justinlkgb
09-05-2007, 06:36 PM
One more of the boat being covered!!

justinlkgb
09-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Last one.

If you look really hard you can somewhat see the line in the water where the green meets the clear. What you can't tell by the photo is how bad it stinks!!

Thankfully the other side of the lake is clear and clean.

Kevin 89MC
09-06-2007, 11:47 AM
I had tried a lot of cleaners on my very neglected hull last year. I had neglected it for several years, it was in really tough shape. Star Brite hull cleaner and 3M hull cleaner didn't even put a dent in it. The toilet bowl cleaner worked somewhat, but only at full strength when it had time to sit, so it did not work toward the bow, as it would run off too quickly.
I got the tip from someone here to try Mary Kate's On and Off hull cleaner. It is a harsh acid, made my hands sting a bit, but it sure cleaned the hull beautifully! It just about glowed! It probably is not the best thing for the gel coat, not something I'd want to do every year. My feeling is it was a one-time use, and now I wax the boat regularly. It sits in the water for a week once a year and gets the familiar green/brown ring, but it comes right off with Star Brite hull cleaner.
If you try some different things, and it's still not clean, give Mary Kate's a try. The West Marine brand indicated above may also work, as it appears similar.
Good luck!

Eric x-9
09-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Try using plain white vinigar, thats what we have been using for years and it works well for us

bigmac
09-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Acid, put it in a garden pump sprayer and reduce with water 50% or less. Were a respirator it will smoke and burn your lungs. Spray and brush, the stuff comes right off. Keep it off your skin.
I wouldn't spray it on...the overspray could be problematic, and there's no need to cover large areas - you would never be spraying the whole boat. Best approach with acid is daub or wipe it one with a toilet bowl dauber over about a 12-14 square foot arean, let it sit about 30 seconds and hose it off, repeating til you're done with the whole boat..

I'd don't get the reason for adding hydrogen peroxide to toilet bowl cleaner...I'd just use the dilute SnoBowl as with any other acid.

Personally, for as little as I need to acid wash, I buy the stuff. I prefer SlimeyGrimey - a more dilute acid solution without all the dire warnings about respirators etc. In my experience, it works as well as On-Off.

justinlkgb
09-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Did any of the suggestions work?
Just curious in case it happens to me:o

Jonathan94
09-12-2007, 03:27 AM
Every fall I use Lysol toilet bowl cleaner (make sure it is not the gel - that did not work) with a roll of paper towel. I apply the cleaner to the paper towel, rub it onto the boat a bit and then let it stick there for 30-60 seconds while I get another sheet and do the same. Then remove the paper towel and continue process from one end of the boat to the other.

Then give her a good rinse with hose and good coat of wax.

Make sure you were rubber gloves and best to do it outside with good ventilation.

msanantonio
09-12-2007, 09:12 AM
I have used on/off on my first mastercraft for 19 years. I deal with the brownish gunk from a New York freshwater lake. Not quite sure what it is.The boat stays in t he water for most of the summer. The lake is realitively clean. It comes off easy if the hull is wet but becomes a pain once the hull dried.I had a 19' tristar and the on/off worked well and the bottom still has a shine. it does burn slightly, it can be diluted.Over the last few years I have left a light coat of wax on the bottom( didn't buff it off) That also works. The hard part is the water line and the on/off works great there. I usually follow it with a cleaner/wax. I had 400 hrs on the boat and it looked brand new when I finished. I just bought a 2000 maristar and sold my tri-star to my neighbor. plan to maintain the same way.

just a question- what is the best way to clean mold stains on vinyl. I have one spot on my old boat that has 2 small spots and
I want to get them out before I hand over the boat.

Ric
09-12-2007, 12:26 PM
bathroom cleaner... X14 or a competetive mix (basically you are looking for "soap scum remover")
spray it on, brush or wipe it smooth so that there are not missed spots and rinse it rather quickly. Your gel will be clean again, but you will need to let her dry good in the sun or something and then wax prior to going to the water again because this stuff takes off all the wax and exposes the gelcoat to the elements again. works great. easy to find. It's huge!

bigtwigz
09-13-2007, 06:44 PM
We use a chemical called CLR, (calcium, lime, rust) that mixed in with 2 parts water takes all the stains off completely.

Monte
09-13-2007, 09:52 PM
We use a chemical called CLR, (calcium, lime, rust) that mixed in with 2 parts water takes all the stains off completely.

As seen on TV?:rolleyes:

KY Larry
09-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Good Tips guys. This is why I check in every so often.

I'll make sure to wear gloves with the 50/50 mix of toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide.... and be up wind too !!

ProTour X9
09-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Invest in a lift..........just kidding