PDA

View Full Version : Warning alarm on 02 X-star

treptowr
09-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Was out on Saturday in my 2002 X-star. After about 2-3 hours on the water, I was just idling waiting for a rider to get his board back on after a fall. A steady warning beep started going off. Oil press, engine temp, voltage all looked normal. The boat was running normal. I shut the boat off, took a peek in the trunk and no obvious sign of problems. Once earlier in the season I didn't have the impeller cover tight after changing the impeller and some water was spraying out and somehow that sent the alarm off. Thought maybe that was happening again, but it wasn't. I had my friend start the boat while I had the trunk open and everything seemed normal and the alarm was off. We boarded without any problems for another 2 hours without problem closely watching the gauges and listening to the engine. When I loaded the boat, I was waiting for the 3 boats in front of me and I was idling for about 5-10 minutes slowly and the boat just died. No alarms. I turned it over and it started right back up, but it has never died at idle like that before on me, and I've put almost 100 hours on it this summer. Any ideas. I'm concerned about taking it out again before I figure out why the alarm was going off? It's the 310 Predator engine with 415 hours on it.

Diesel
09-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Was out on Saturday in my 2002 X-star. After about 2-3 hours on the water, I was just idling waiting for a rider to get his board back on after a fall. A steady warning beep started going off. Oil press, engine temp, voltage all looked normal. The boat was running normal. I shut the boat off, took a peek in the trunk and no obvious sign of problems. Once earlier in the season I didn't have the impeller cover tight after changing the impeller and some water was spraying out and somehow that sent the alarm off. Thought maybe that was happening again, but it wasn't. I had my friend start the boat while I had the trunk open and everything seemed normal and the alarm was off. We boarded without any problems for another 2 hours without problem closely watching the gauges and listening to the engine. When I loaded the boat, I was waiting for the 3 boats in front of me and I was idling for about 5-10 minutes slowly and the boat just died. No alarms. I turned it over and it started right back up, but it has never died at idle like that before on me, and I've put almost 100 hours on it this summer. Any ideas. I'm concerned about taking it out again before I figure out why the alarm was going off? It's the 310 Predator engine with 415 hours on it.

Check gauge oil pressure at idle. Early 00 models had a programing glitch in the MDC which caused the low oil pressure alarm. I finally had to build a resistor pack for my buddies' 02 Xstar to fool the MDC to eliminate the warning.

tones03
09-04-2007, 12:12 PM
I have had the same thing happen. Dealer said to keep an eye on the oil pressure and oil level, if it looks fine dont worry about it. When we pull it out we are going to have them look at still though, just to double check.

treptowr
09-04-2007, 12:58 PM
My oil level was good. Checked it that morning and when the alarm went off. Like I mentioned, the pressure at the gauge appeared fine too. Makes me nervous. I'm going to change the oil this week too, just a few hours shy of 50 since the last change anyway. The boat stalling never happened before either...except that one time I ran out of gas :)

kbX10
06-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Is the alarm coming from the speakers or from under the dash? I have a random alarm on my 02 X10 that comes on at different times and different speeds/rpm levels. Took it to dealership, no codes are pulling. Again alarm is very random. All gauges are running norm, oil is at proper line on dip stick. Cut engine off and alarm goes off. Once I start it back up it could be a few days/hours/minutes before the alarm comes back on. Is there such a thing as low fuel warning sound? I've noticed that it comes on at and below a half tank.

G-Star
09-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Just had a similar experience with my '02 X-Star.

Had been cruising around the lake a bit, taking it easy, at about 25 mph. Came back in towards shore and idled in the last 400 ft. or so. Just as I was approaching the dock, an alarm went off. Oil pressure was good, temp was bang on 160, and voltage read about 13.8. The really weird thing (in my mind) is that the check engine light did NOT come on.

I spent about 30 seconds looking at all the gauges and making sure everything looked ok. Then, I went to check in the engine compartment for anything strange. As soon as I got up from the drivers seat, the alarm shut off. Everything looked ok in the engine compartment, I put my hands on the exhaust manifolds to feel if the engine was hot. I could leave my hands on the tops of the manifolds for a couple seconds before they felt too hot... so temperature didn't seem to be an issue.

So... in summary. Alarm went off after idling for a couple minutes. High pitched alarm only, no check engine light. Everything on the dash looked ok. Alarm went off after about 30 seconds (maybe less, it felt like a long time ;)) Everything looked ok in engine compartment.

Has anybody figured out what is causing the problems mentioned earlier in this thread? Any ideas for me??

Thanks for the help. Sorry for the long post, but I tried to be thorough. 8p

nmcjr
09-27-2010, 05:48 PM
I know you said the voltage was ok, but I had a similar problem and it went away once I replaced my battery. That was 3 years ago, so I believe it was related, but can't be sure.

bobx1
09-28-2010, 11:44 AM
The engine stall and alarm may have been two seperate issues. The alarm may be low voltage like nmcjr said. Unhook the battery (important to completely disconnect), put a full charge on it, re-connect and make sure all connections are tight, then try it out.