PDA

View Full Version : Tire Question

kjohnson
09-04-2007, 08:40 AM
I have the original Goodyear Marathon Radials on my 1991 trailer. They have plenty of tread, but I am considering replacing them due to their age (16 years old). They do not have any dry rot and still look good. Anybody have any thoughts on "lifetime" of tires?

Maristar210
09-04-2007, 08:43 AM
I have the original Goodyear Marathon Radials on my 1991 trailer. They have plenty of tread, but I am considering replacing them due to their age (16 years old). They do not have any dry rot and still look good. Anybody have any thoughts on "lifetime" of tires?

I'd say that's a smart move. Ten years or so would be all I would think, but that's just me...

MMCCAR12
09-04-2007, 09:33 AM
You get the award for the oldest tires I have ever heard of !!
We change tires every 3 to 5 years on the West Coast due to extreme heat on the asphalt accross the desert. They can look great but turn evil in the middle of a trip. One will blow and then 10 miles down the road the other one goes. Will take out your trailer fender, rim and side of the boat.

Roonie's
09-04-2007, 09:35 AM
My old boat which I just sold had original tires on the trailer as I never had a blowout and they were 20 years old. Bought new in 1987. The new owner wasn't going to change them either. The boat was located in the NorthWest and trailered there.

TMCNo1
09-04-2007, 09:53 AM
A fellow boat owner/Team Talk member/friend in Conn. (kas) has my original 14" Uniroyal white letter trailer tires and wheels off our '89. I had them stored, no air, protectant applied, in big garbage bags, in our cool dry basement storage for 14 years. In 2002 he came to our house in NC to travel with us to the Vonore for the 35th Anniversary Homecoming and Reunion and blew one of his tires and was running a poor looking spare. I sold him my set and we went to Wal-Mart and he put the tires on his '84 wheels. He traveled to Vonore with us, then back to Conn. and he now has them in storage, off the trailer and they are still in perfect condition.

kjohnson
09-04-2007, 02:01 PM
I think I'll call the Goodyear Dealer and see what he says. I will let you guys know.

kjohnson
09-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Ok I know the dealer is trying to sell tires, but he recommended changing boat trailer tires at least every 5 years. I plan to get new ones this week.

jraben8
09-04-2007, 03:32 PM
I change mine every 3-4 years. Cheap insurance IMHO...

mayo93prostar
09-04-2007, 04:38 PM
It really depends on how/where the trailer is stored. If it is in direct sunlight this is worse than if it is in a garage. Even better, if it is stored in a nitrogen filled basement like TMCNo1 then they last forever! I have heard that ozone is the real bad thing for tires, as much as or more than UV rays from the sun. Not sure though. It also depends on how far, often, and fast you trailer. Do you go 2 miles down the road at 30 mph or do you go 300 miles at 70 mph. In more serious thought, how much is it worth ($250) to risk a blowout and severe damage to the boat and trailer that will cost way more than the tires???

Kevin 89MC
09-06-2007, 11:16 AM
My Goodyear Marathon's weren't new when I bought the boat in '97. I destroyed one last year after a large puncture, thankfully at low speed, so I finally changed them both (Marathon's again). I kept the other one as a spare, as my old spare was a noticeably different size, even though the numbers were the same.
I was thinking about replacing them anyways, as I was feeling that 10 plus years, and sitting outside all summer, was taking their toll on them. Hopefully I'll get 10 years out of the new ones. It's a judgment call: the older they are, the higher chance of failure. It comes down to how lucky do you feel? I tend to push things a bit, sometimes I pay for it, most times I benefit from saving the money.
Good luck!

east tx skier
09-06-2007, 11:23 AM
I'd go buy new tires. My brother in law had good looking original Marathons with plenty of tread an no dry rot on his trailer (99 Supra). He had a nasty blowout on Friday night trailering only 100 miles or so. Tire looked like something the dog chewed up and his fender had to be bent back a good deal to get back on the road.

kjohnson
09-06-2007, 01:14 PM
I bought new tires yesterday.