PDA

View Full Version : Who likes their VDIG?

OhioX14
09-03-2007, 10:37 PM
I know there have been a couple of threads started explaining what the VDIG does, but I'm curious how many of those who have it actually like it?

I have an '08 with VDIG and would love to trade it in for a good old set of analog gauges. One of the reasons for this is that I've had problems and I am probably on my way to my third new display. However, my biggest beef is that the integration of so many functions into one display requires way too much toggling between various screens just to get the information you need. This isn't so bad when you're at rest, but when you're in the middle of pulling someone with PerfectPass and need to check the ballast levels because the wake looks a liitle off, you have to start toggling between screens to get to ballast, and again to get back to PerfectPass when all that should have been required was a quick glance at a few different gauges. It's a pain and it means more time playing with the gauge for info and less time looking ahead or at your skier and that's not a good combination.

I think too much is going on with VDIG and that it should have been an option and not standard equipment.

That's my :twocents:, what's yours?

surfacetension
09-04-2007, 10:50 AM
AS I said here earlier I test drove an 08 X2 and the gauge failed on the test ride, I got an 07 X2 and Have the old style gouges> I'm very happy I did. It seems that sometimes they release things before they are proven, which can happen when you are in a tight competitive market, But just like the tower I think they need to slow down , because all these trick new things that don't work are NOT going to help them sell more boats ! Only make them look bad. If you an old guy like me it's too hard to deal with all the techno stuff on my phone much less on my Boat

duckguy
09-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Love my 07 gauges the new thing should be optional for sure. Same with timed ballasts-Gee what a great idea that was, and making it exit under the boat as opposed to the side, pure genius.

surfacetension
09-04-2007, 12:14 PM
It always comes down to KISS!! Simple is always better. I wish just once that I would be asked to be on a panel to help design or give feedback on a boat or car, For instance WHY did someone feel the need to put timed pumps on the boat that come out under water where you can't see them ??? Change can be a good thing but NOT just for the sake of change. I wonder if they have dealer groups where they poll at least the dealers??? Boy I would love to be on an advisory panel!!

2RLAKE
09-05-2007, 07:53 AM
I had a protoype VDIG in my X14 and it would occasionally go dead ... had to disconnect the battery for 2-3 minutes for it to come back. I got a new screen and control unit couple weeks ago and it works great ... it has a new filter on it so you can actually see it now with polarized sunglasses. Yes, simple gauges work well, but I only go between the perfect pass screen and the main screen which i actually like since i can set it up the way i want (MPH, Tach, Depth)

Real question is how will this be in 5 years?

Prostar19
09-05-2007, 02:42 PM
2R Lake those are Polarized bifocals arn't they??:D

BrianM
09-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Real question is how will this be in 5 years?

In 5 years it will be a "no longer available" part from MC. Then what happens?

Sorry to say it but search "Computron" on the Bu site. That is where you will be in 5 years.

Not a fan of digital anything when it comes to gauges. Especially in boats.

TheOneandOnly
09-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Cant you just press the PPbutton on the side by the arm rest which brings up PP screen?? Thats what we did on our test drive the other day, it seemed to work awesome, very nice....

I guess its a love it or hate it, this guy loves it-no other mfr can even compete with the new electronics. If there is issues hopefully theyll have it fixed before we get ours :)

duckguy
09-05-2007, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=

-no other mfr can even compete with the new electronics. [/QUOTE]

I would say that that is totally your opinion, becuase a good looking set of anologs I think is good competition. Also you may want to see what Malibu has done for 08 before making that statement.

OhioX14
09-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Cant you just press the PPbutton on the side by the arm rest which brings up PP screen?? Thats what we did on our test drive the other day, it seemed to work awesome, very nice....

I guess its a love it or hate it, this guy loves it-no other mfr can even compete with the new electronics. If there is issues hopefully theyll have it fixed before we get ours :)

Yes, you can hit the PP button and you can also hit one of the ballast pump switches to pull up the ballast display if you don't mind cycling the pump. The other option is to toggle between screens using the VDIG menu system and buttons. I personally just wish the ballast gauges were separate and not part of this display so you could monitor them simultaneously with PP but that's just me.

In reality there is much to like about the VDIG if it works properly and the more I become accustom to it the more I'll probably appreciate it. Right now I'm just frustrated because I've had my share of problems and just want this thing to work properly. I am fortunate to have an outstanding dealer (Boathouse Marine) so as long as Mastercraft continues to support the product and works the kinks out then it could be a good thing.

TheOneandOnly
09-05-2007, 11:14 PM
I would say that that is totally your opinion, becuase a good looking set of anologs I think is good competition. Also you may want to see what Malibu has done for 08 before making that statement.

I have looked on their website-IMO looks the same as usual. Same white backlighting with blue text. Yes its my opinion obviously your not a fan of the NEW equiptment ;)

Analog looks good as well I'd agree, you get both with the new 08's so if the digital craps out you can always revert to the analog.

TheOneandOnly
09-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Yes, you can hit the PP button and you can also hit one of the ballast pump switches to pull up the ballast display if you don't mind cycling the pump. The other option is to toggle between screens using the VDIG menu system and buttons. I personally just wish the ballast gauges were separate and not part of this display so you could monitor them simultaneously with PP but that's just me.

In reality there is much to like about the VDIG if it works properly and the more I become accustom to it the more I'll probably appreciate it. Right now I'm just frustrated because I've had my share of problems and just want this thing to work properly. I am fortunate to have an outstanding dealer (Boathouse Marine) so as long as Mastercraft continues to support the product and works the kinks out then it could be a good thing.

I think youll grow to like it. Im second though if there have been having problems why this wasnt fixed before release. Expecially when quality is supposed to be grade "A. Nevertheless just like everything new technology takes a while to get use too, espically when your custom to the old. Good luck-

surfacetension
09-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Maybe it's just me but I think that the place to do "Testing" and R and D is BEFORE you sell it, Even a little thing like gauge failure can dampen a day on the water, I,m still not happy about my tower shaken" on an 07 X2 . I'm glad I went with the 07 just for the gauges

Mark Crockett
09-06-2007, 11:46 PM
I had my THIRD v-dig installed today on my FOUR week old 08 X-15. Dealer said that this new v-dig contained updated software and that my problems with the previous TWO v-digs should be solved. Within minutes of putting the boat back in the water the v-dig crashed and locked up. I had to shut off the battery and reboot it to get it to function again...currently not a v-dig fan!

east tx skier
09-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Are they available for older boats? Hope not! :o

PKLOMP
09-07-2007, 12:09 AM
I have the 08 X45 with the VDIG. While boating on Labor day weekend, the VDIG went out (basically I had to disconnect the battery for abut 30 seconds and then reconnect). Worked great after that. I just used the PP button to view PerfectPass, the trim button to view the trim and the ballast pumps to view the balast pumps.

tr6coug
09-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Maybe install a toggle switch on the vdig +12V or gnd line as a reset... That way you won't have to reset it by disconnecting the battery.

3event
09-07-2007, 08:17 AM
No personal experience, but I would sure avoid VDIG in favor of traditional gauges given the opportunity.

Reminds me of what happened with BMW on the 7-Series when they introduced the latest generation with the I-Drive controls, that went over like a lead zeppelin. No one wants frustration to take the place of driving enjoyment.

limegreen
09-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Seems like it would take a bit for a fresh driver to catch on and get the hang of it? He/she might get used to it right AFTER your run?

ProTour X9
09-09-2007, 07:36 AM
and making it exit under the boat as opposed to the side, pure genius.

What???? Then you can't spray the person thats in the water!!! 'Course when I'm in my neighbors boat, and someone complains about not having ballast, he tells me to *** off the side:(