PDA

View Full Version : Cans and trash

RK@UST
09-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Just a habit I guess, but everytime I am on the lake if I see a can or cup or any trash , we ALWAYS stop and pick it up.
I am thinking that there is no way that anyone would just throw one out, right? Don't really know or care because that would just piss me off. But there has never been one time that if something even accidently flew out of my boat , that someone in the boat didn't see it even if it wasn't me.
But I feel like we are so fortunate to have this recreation that is the least we could do is keep it clean.
I was surprised at how many we picked up this weekend.

peason
09-03-2007, 09:06 PM
We do the same thing if we can get to it safely. I have seen some gross cans that looks like they have spent a better part of thier life on the bottom of the lake. I agree, I sure hope no one is stupid enough to just throw things out of thier boat - but that is a little naive!

JohnnyB
09-03-2007, 09:10 PM
I typically do the same thing, especially when we're out footin :eek:

Seriously, if it is big enough to damage someone's hull or hurt someone riding over it, it is worth picking up. Things that come to mind that regularly get picked up......soda cans, rope remnants, PFDs, frisbees,

JohnE
09-03-2007, 10:15 PM
But there has never been one time that if something even accidently flew out of my boat , that someone in the boat didn't see it even if it wasn't me.

How can you be positive? If it fell out and nobody saw it.......

Just kidding. We pick up anything we see. We have had a few plastic bags fly out that we've turned around to pick up.

Talk about getting pi$$ed off: We were on the lake with our neices and a couple of young teenagers were in an IO and the kids in the boat were throwing food and water balloons (or something similar filled with water) at the 2 on a tube.:mad:

justinlkgb
09-03-2007, 11:00 PM
I too pick up others trash floating along.

Its amazing how old some of the cans can be. I found an old valvoline oil can from at least the 60;s on shore this spring.

Its really amazing to see what happens when the Ice houses get off in the winter. I realize some of you may not know what this is, but believe it or not, people actually fish on ice; in little houses with heat.

Actually watch Grumpy Old Men, that was filmed very near to here and thats pretty accuate.....

:rant: anyway Some jerk(s) didn't claim his/her ice house in time and instead of pulling the house off the lake, the DNR, I think it was the DNR, burns them. They just leave it, and it eventually floats in!! just terrible

JKTX21
09-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Wait, what? Fishing on ice? '

Sounds like a good situation for my beer, but not for my toes!

MC X9
09-03-2007, 11:15 PM
I hate when people leave there cans and plastic bags flooting in the lake. Yes i stop by and pick it up, but my boat was a victom from someone leaving their dark blue broken tow rope in the water and it got all cought up around the prop. Of course i didnt see it was dark blue luckly i had a fishing knife with me to get the rope off. So yea it pissis me off when i see people sinking their pop cans and other materials, but i can understand if they dont see it when it flies out of the boat.

TMCNo1
09-04-2007, 10:37 AM

What, fishing on ice, I just go to Wal-Mart and buy my fish already frozen in the box!:rolleyes: :D

justinlkgb
09-04-2007, 11:27 AM

Beer stays cold, if no fish bite, you can drop it down the hole on the line, works great. 6 pack limit per hole of course:) This happens often.

Just need a really nice house for the toes. :D

Hoosier Bob
09-04-2007, 09:26 PM
I stop and pick up almost all I see. Big logs we try to haul somewhere safe.

Jugs of any kind, Bouys, Detergent cleaners and any bottles beware! Many underwater hazards here are marked with such items. If they don't move stay away!:D

Willski
09-04-2007, 11:57 PM
We do the same on the river, except for right now, because the water is up and there is so much debris and junk in the water, iI would fill my whole boat with junk. It comes from everywhere!

michael freeman
09-05-2007, 07:53 AM
I was curious about apple cores. I was on the water this weekend and a friend asked if it was wrong to through an apple core overboard.

Is an apple core trash or fish food?

76S&S
09-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Michael, an apple core is turtle food where we are. A turtle will eat most any fruit.

Up river from our place is a very large creek that flows through a rather poor city before dumping into the river. I say dumping because I think everyone in that city dumps their trash in the creek. OK, it may not be that bad but I've seen as many as a dozen basketballs after a hard rain and countless plastic bottles.

The worse thing spotted so far has been a hollow metal door, standing on end just at the surface...........I can only imagine what kind of damage that could have done.