PDA

View Full Version : touch up painting

drbesvold1
09-03-2007, 07:46 PM
what are the first few steps i would take if i was to touch up the scratch marks on my m/c . and whats a good product to use to really bring out the shine in my boat?

TMCNo1
09-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Actually metallic paint like the silver on your boat is intended to be spray on, because when you brush it on, the metallic has a tendency to hang up in the brush hairs and only the colored clear and a small amount of metallic will come out of ther brush resulting is bad brush marks. But you can try if you can find a touch-up color to match.
Any good cleaner wax will get you off to a good start.

drbesvold1
09-03-2007, 08:13 PM
ok so when i first start what type of sand paper should i use and what would be my steps after its sanded

JimN
09-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Wet/dry sandpaper- Scotch, 3M, Norton, etc. Get the good stuff, don't go cheap. Keep it wet, use a finer grit than you think will work. Once it has been sanded, it will need to be polished. Go slow- it's the friction that does the work. Variable speed rotary polisher, set on about 2, lamb's wool or foam bonnet and not too much pressure. Don't try to do it all in one day- that won't happen. Make sure there's plenty of light in the area and use the light in reflections to judge your work. The polishing compound doesn't need to be too aggressive. Go to a body shop supply store and ask questions. The last step can be done with 3M Finishing Material, which is really fine grit. I like Race Glaze or Meguiar's waxes. Here's a link: www.autogeek.net/meguiars-car-care-products.html?gclid=CPqNjbC_qI4CFRHzPgodEVDaxw