PDA

View Full Version : Need some advise

MasterCraft Rookie
09-03-2007, 07:39 PM
We are looking for a Mastercraft (10-20yrs. old), open bow preferred. I have just begun my research and thought many of you could help. This boat will be used primarily for skiing, with some wakeboarding as well.

1. Is there any models you would advise saying away from?

2. What are your thoughts about a carburated motor?

3. Can someone explain the advantages/ disadvantages of the various hulls in relation to ski, wake, and overall ride?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Britt

G-man
09-03-2007, 07:47 PM
91-94 205 your best bet

One of the best open bow hulls out there, great slalom wake and can be weighted for wakeboarding. I'll let others chime in

03 35th Anniversary
09-03-2007, 07:52 PM
In my opinion only, it sounds like a 91-94 Prostar 205 will be the best boat for you. I think 91 was the first year MasterCraft made an open bow boat. You can find this boat carb or fuelinjection. Plenty of these boats for sale. Ski a couple of and go from there.

Prostar in Michigain
09-03-2007, 08:01 PM
i agree with everyone

MasterCraft Rookie
09-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Should I stay away from a carb. motor?

What do you all think would be "low" hrs. for a boat that age?

MasterCraft Rookie
09-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Can someone explaind the difference in the following hulls?

1. TriStar
2. ProStar
3. MariStar

Thanks again (just doing my homework:)

Britt

03 35th Anniversary
09-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Should I stay away from a carb. motor?

What do you all think would be "low" hrs. for a boat that age?
Carb motor all depends on what you want and how good of shap the boat is in. Both can be great running boats. The MasterCraft I learn to ski behind was a 91 PS 205 with a carb. 351W. Great boat. Crab. engines are easy to work on and pretty cheap to fix. If the boat runs strong and cranks easy. The carb wouldn't stop me from buying it. Just don't get in a hurry buying one.

G-man
09-03-2007, 08:32 PM
The carb motor as long as gas is stabilized in the winter shouldn't be a problem, In 93 they used an aluminum colored carb, piece of junk, look for a bronze colored carb, much better. Many owner have swiched these out. Do yourself and your family a favor and put Perfect Pass speed control in as soon as possible. You'll love it.

east tx skier
09-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Just for what it's worth, the 205 year range that was best for skiing was 92-95 (92 was the first year of the 205).

Agree with G-Man completely regarding the 4010 carb. But a well maintained carb boat can be a great thing, and, assuming 351 HO, will have more horsepower than the early TBI motors. Once I got the 4160 carb on my 93 205, it was as reliable as can be and skied great.

JohnnyB
09-03-2007, 09:55 PM
I'll agree also. 92-95 205....there's a thread on here that goes through the history of hull designs that may be worth searching for....

IIRC, the 94 was the first year fuel injection was offerred. In hindsight, if I had bought an open bow, intead of closed and found one with fuel injection, I probably would not have upgraded.

I had a 92 190 that was a solid boat....had the 351 which, I'll agree, was easy to maintain. Needed an open bow for more family boating.....

OHIOPRO205
09-03-2007, 10:02 PM
I own a 94 Prostar 205 and we love it. I an running a Fuel Injected 5.7(350)GM motor and it seems to do great on gas.

123src
09-03-2007, 10:06 PM
I have a 92 Prostar 205 with the 351. I could not be happier for skiability combined with room for family. Carb engine, but not an issue for me. The only difference between my friends efi boat is warming mine up at the ramp for a couple of minutes before I get under way. Other than that, Outstanding performance. Easy to work on.

JohnE
09-03-2007, 10:26 PM
The tristar open bow was made from at least '87 - '89 maybe '90. I was very happy skiing behind my 88 tristar 190. But I'm sure the 205 is even better. The carb was not an issue for me. It ran flawlessly. I sold it to a buddy last March, and he has not had any issues either. You can find some Tristars in nice shape for under $10K. You'll pay a bit more for a 205, but the extra money is justified.

swatguy
09-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Also another vote for a prostar 205. Can't go wrong with that boat. Skiable, wakeable and somewhat roomy (its a competition ski boat so I use the term loosely :) ) But you can't go wrong. Just may be hard to find one dependiing on where you are located as those boats are in demand due to all the above mentioned reasons. Carbs are fine, just a little fidgity on those cold damp mornings. If you are a car/engine guy not a problem.

If it were me though I would try and find one that has fuel injection. Helps on the resale if you ever decide to go into something newer, but a carb wouldn't be a deal breaker if found one in good shape. Still pushes enough power. Just would prefer the fuel injection after having the carb and now the fuel injection.

justinlkgb
09-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Can someone explaind the difference in the following hulls?

1. TriStar
2. ProStar
3. MariStar

Thanks again (just doing my homework:)

Britt

I think the wake is great for boarding on a Maristar. Cant say much for the other two.

Needs to be weighted to produce really nice boarding wakes.

I have given a few serious skiers a pull and they seemed to enjoy it. They usually ski a CC 196.

There are no track fins on the hull of my 91. :mad:

Storage is minimal at best. In the 205 you have a lot more.

351w....heart of gold!!! Mine has a carb, seems just fine, a few pumps prior to turning the key and she starts everytime.
I found her with 412 some hours which i feel is very low.

I can get you some wake pics if you are interested, just let me know if I can help.