PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

peakcompletions
09-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Hey all,

Looking at upgrading to the X-45 from my Malibu 23 Wakesetter and had a couple of questions...

What is the difference between the switch, slider and backside models?

Any thoughts on handling compared to the Malibu? Wondering how the new hull design of the pickle fork front handles the bigger waves (anything has got to be better than my current boat)

What options are must haves?

Any other advice and input is greatly appreciated. I am trying to decide between the X-45 and the 247 LSV as I want additional room.

Thanks.

03 35th Anniversary
09-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Hey all,

Looking at upgrading to the X-45 from my Malibu 23 Wakesetter and had a couple of questions...

What is the difference between the switch, slider and backside models?

Any thoughts on handling compared to the Malibu? Wondering how the new hull design of the pickle fork front handles the bigger waves (anything has got to be better than my current boat)

What options are must haves?

Any other advice and input is greatly appreciated. I am trying to decide between the X-45 and the 247 LSV as I want additional room.

Thanks.

The difference between the switch, slider and backside models are just the color schemes.

I don't know how it handles compared to the malibu, but the X-45 rides and drives great even in the chop.

Musts haves as far as I know, is the trimtab. The one I have been riding in has the MCX. Me I would like more hp. So maybe the LY6 or L-18. But that is up to your personal opinion.

Go with the X-45 it has a better resale if you want to change things up in a few years.

Where are you located in Texas?

peakcompletions
09-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Midland - way out west with no water...

Thanks for the input!

One Malibu dealer mentioned that the pickle fork front is prone to cracking. Any truth to this?

TX.X-30 fan
09-03-2007, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the input!

One Malibu dealer mentioned that the pickle fork front is prone to cracking. Any truth to this?

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

BU'S are prone to be a floating POS!!!

03 35th Anniversary
09-03-2007, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the input!

I know a few people that have pickle fork boat. A couple of them are around 4 -5 years old with 300+ hours and none of them have cracking in the hulls.

Just wondering where you were from in Texas, I am from Texas also (Fort Worth)

bigmac
09-03-2007, 05:56 PM
One Malibu dealer mentioned that the pickle fork front is prone to cracking. Any truth to this?Aha!...from looking at the Malibu web sites, one would think it's only MasterCraft dealers unjustifiably trashing Malibus.

I've been reading ski boat discussion forums for years. Never seen anyone mention that particular problem on MasterCrafts. I guess those dealers went to the "cracking" rumor after they stopped being able to convince anyone that it's just ugly.

peakcompletions
09-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the input guys... you know salesmen, just wanted to check for sure...

For what it is worth, both dealers have bashed the other.

I am really leaning towards the x-45... just checking the details

bigmac
09-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the input guys... you know salesmen, just wanted to check for sure...

For what it is worth, both dealers have bashed the other.

I am really leaning towards the x-45... just checking the detailsI don't doubt that the bashing is bidirectional - seems to be true of a wide variety of products, not just ski boats.

From what I can tell, the pickle fork really grows on you after a pretty short time. And even those who don't like the looks really warm up to it based on the enhanced functionality it provides.

JimN
09-03-2007, 06:37 PM
One dealer or fans of one brand bashing another are as old as time. Call MC and ask one of the VPs about his opinion of Malibu- he worked there.

Have the salesman prove that the pickle fork cracks. It's really not a new bow design, just fairly recent for MC. They talked about it in '99 and '00, as far as it coming out and apparently, the designers got it right. Not like they would come out with something new and not test it on all kinds of water. They beat the #@%^ *(&?!$ out of them in development.

Does Malibu still have the damping box in their hull?

JimN
09-03-2007, 06:39 PM
"Thanks for the input guys... you know salesmen, just wanted to check for sure..."

The movie "Used Cars" wouldn't have been made if the stories weren't partially true, right?

03 35th Anniversary
09-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Does Malibu still have the damping box in their hull?

What's a damping box?????????:confused:

TMCNo1
09-03-2007, 06:51 PM
What's a damping box?????????:confused:

I think it's a box for storing cold damp towels to keep the passangers cool when they see a picklefork MasterCraft!:rolleyes: :D

TX.X-30 fan
09-03-2007, 06:54 PM
I think it's a box for storing damp towels to keep the passangers cool!:rolleyes: :D
\

I thought it had something to do with UMP'S hooooookers

JimN
09-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Someone at Malibu decided that mounting the stuffing box in an actual, inverted fiberglass box and then attaching that to the hull so the propshaft could go through a smaller hole in the hull would be better than mounting the stuffing box directly in the hull, like MC and most other boats. The water would fill the box and dampen the harmonic resonances in the shaft and supposedly make for a quieter ride. Problem was, it really didn't do all that much and a lot of them leaked at the seams, which meant that there were tons of boats with wet bilges and we had a lot of boats to fix under warranty.

TMCNo1
09-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Someone at Malibu decided that mounting the stuffing box in an actual, inverted fiberglass box and then attaching that to the hull so the propshaft could go through a smaller hole in the hull would be better than mounting the stuffing box directly in the hull, like MC and most other boats. The water would fill the box and dampen the harmonic resonances in the shaft and supposedly make for a quieter ride. Problem was, it really didn't do all that much and a lot of them leaked at the seams, which meant that there were tons of boats with wet bilges and we had a lot of boats to fix under warranty.

Thanks Jim, for the explaination, you da man!

ChrisConn Inc.
09-04-2007, 03:21 AM
My 2007 x45 is in the shop for it's first ten hour service. I had a custom 21' shockwave boat before and really love the boat. As my family grew and the kids started bringing friends we found that room was a concern. The custom boats are built for speed not roominess. I was able to bring about 10 people but we were sitting on top of coolers,chairs,ezups, ect..
The x45 is the way to go if you want to bring the neighborhood. This is one amazing boat. The handling was a bit awkward at first, because the custom was an I/O. The x45 took on the chop at Lake Mead with ease. I'm still learning the trim tab, ballast and perfect pass to get the ultimate wake. The only thing that I miss is the speed of the custom. My x45s top speed was around 45mph with the 400hp motor. With that being said the x45 is one big beast of a boat though. The pickle fork design is absolutely amazing in looks and practicality. IMO MasterCraft did an outstanding job designing this boat.

My first day at the launch ramp was a little scary,bigger boat and reverse in one direction. Yikes! :confused:

Have fun with your research,
ChrisConn