PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard repair

205V
09-03-2007, 01:18 PM
My new wakeboard fell off the rack and scuffed the edges. Is there a way to sand and maybe fiberglass the rough edges to make them smothe again?

beatle78
09-03-2007, 07:43 PM
pics????

How bad are the scuffs? The reason I ask is that if the board is new to you a MAJOR scuff to you may be normal wear for someone with a board that's a few years old. We all want our new board looking new, but that just means you are not using it enough :)

I've never repaired a board, so I'll have to let other chime in.

What kind of wakeboard did you get?

Lennyp04
09-03-2007, 08:41 PM
I say just leave it and tell someone that you did that when you were doing your switch 270 on 270 out a frame rail!!

But in all seriousness. It might be better to leave it as is just so you dont hurt the board more. If you post pics we will get a better understanding!!

205V
09-04-2007, 12:15 PM
I bought a new LF Shane. I tested last night and it looked a lot worse when it happened. It does look like I hit a rail on both sides in several spots but it still works . thanks.

No Skeez
09-04-2007, 12:42 PM
When we repair boards at our shop we first fill in any gaps or voids with a 2 part marine epoxy. Let that set up for 24 hours, so its fully cured. At that point, hit it with some sandpaper, starting with a medium grit and working down to a fine grit, so its nice and smooth. A few hints - if you want to try to make it look as "factory" as possible, try adding a few drops of food coloring or dye to the epoxy, so that it comes somewhat close to matching the color. Remember, as it cures, the color will change a little, so it's almost impossible to hit it right on. It will at least get you close though!

Hope this helps!

Brian

NatesGr8
09-04-2007, 12:46 PM
i only repair mine when the scrapes or gouges go into the layers below, to prevent water from getting in. If its just cosmetic i don't worry about it.

beatle78
09-04-2007, 01:07 PM
I bought a new LF Shane. I tested last night and it looked a lot worse when it happened. It does look like I hit a rail on both sides in several spots but it still works . thanks.

So is it just a bunch of scrapes or is it actually gouged through the outer layer?

How do you like the Shane? I just bought a new LF Witness and it's the best board I've ever been on. (Substance & Fish are the other 2 I've ridden)

swatguy
09-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Noskees pretty much just beat me to it. To give you the best advice would need some pics.

swatguy
09-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Noskees pretty much just beat me to it. To give you the best advice would need some pics.