PDA

View Full Version : Trailering checklist

justinlkgb
09-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Ladies and Gentelmen; I searched but somehow revealed no resuts:o , but I am getting ready to head out on a 3 hour trip from home and I get to trailer the boat . I normally don't use the trailer more than 2X per year.

What should I do prior to going on the trip?
It has Bearing Buddy, for which I have never used before.

Trailer is a 97 Shorelander, which supports a 91 maristar 210.

Also another stupid ? Does cold tire pressure assume that there is no boat on the trailer???? Would it matter???

Is there any easy way to make sure that the trailer bunks are lined up correctly?? The bunks seem to be adjustable as far as the angles go.

Thanks in andvance for your time:)

dmayer84
09-03-2007, 01:18 AM
This thread should help you out

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=18208

Chicago190
09-03-2007, 02:20 AM
-Check the lights
-Have a spare tire, jack, tools, and torque wrench with you. May want to bring an extra hub if you're going to be in areas that may not have auto parts stores nearby.
-Strap the rear of the boat down
-Add some sort of strap to the front besides the winch, you may already have it on your trailer
-Grease the bearing buddies with a grease gun until they pop out a little. Search for bearing buddy on here or google for directions.
-Check tire pressure cold (I do it with the boat on the trailer), if you have Goodyear Marathons and go over 65 MPH the pressure gets bumped up.
-Torque lug nuts properly. I believe its the usual star pattern going 45, 70, 90 ft-lbs.
-Check that your brakes are functioning and check the master cylinder for enough fluid. After travelling for awhile get out and feel the hubs. They should be the same temperature and not make it so you burn your hand. Watch for unusual amounts of brake dust on the wheels that could indicate they are sticking.

TMCNo1
09-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Lock your coupler and ball mount, carry a grease gun with wheel bearing grease in it, carry a tire pressure gauge, check your trailer lights/all functions, extra tow vehicle fuses and have a good time!

justinlkgb
09-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks for all the info fellas. I noticed I had blown the bulbs in the trailer, for brakes and turn signal. That has been replaced. Never thought of fuses for the tow vehicle, thanks. I will check tires and see what they are. I will get some photos as well. Any idea on how to set the angle for the bunks???My best guess is using corugated to make a template back by the platform, and one by say...the windshield. I can do this while the boat rests on the lift.

Is the bearing buddy a good system??

How tough is it to add surge brakes to the trailer???

Once again thanks for the replies, now then its a holiday time to go have fun:D

Roonie's
09-03-2007, 11:55 AM
-Check the lights
-Have a spare tire, jack, tools, and torque wrench with you. May want to bring an extra hub if you're going to be in areas that may not have auto parts stores nearby.
-Strap the rear of the boat down
-Add some sort of strap to the front besides the winch, you may already have it on your trailer
-Grease the bearing buddies with a grease gun until they pop out a little. Search for bearing buddy on here or google for directions.
-Check tire pressure cold (I do it with the boat on the trailer), if you have Goodyear Marathons and go over 65 MPH the pressure gets bumped up.
-Torque lug nuts properly. I believe its the usual star pattern going 45, 70, 90 ft-lbs.
-Check that your brakes are functioning and check the master cylinder for enough fluid. After travelling for awhile get out and feel the hubs. They should be the same temperature and not make it so you burn your hand. Watch for unusual amounts of brake dust on the wheels that could indicate they are sticking.

Great ideas. I would make sure you have a lug nut wrench as the one that came with your vehicle usually won't work for your trailer as they are different sizes. You can get a 4 head lug nut wrench for 5-10$ at local auto store or even Target. Make sure you have a spare. Also I would pick up a fix a flat spray can at the store as well and torque wrench can all be found there. Good to have just in case. I bought a trailer jack at Overton's which is simple and easy to use.

Good luck and should be easy. Just finished my 3800 mile road trip and no problems.

bigmac
09-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Is the bearing buddy a good system??

How tough is it to add surge brakes to the trailer???
Bearing buddies are a very good system as long as the seals in the back of the hub are in adequate shape. Most of the time, trailers with brakes have such seals already in place. If the trailer doesn't have brakes, those seals many not be present and the Bearing Buddy may not hold the grease in the hub well. Those seals can be bought from Bearing Buddy and are easy to install. They DO wear out, and if your trailer has 'em, they need to be replaced. If it doesn't have any seals, they need to be installed, especially if it has, or is going to have, trailer brakes.

Surge brakes - I think installing them on a trailer would be an expensive PITA. Having said that, most states have laws that require a trailer braking system on trailers over 1500 lbs GVW. Not to mention that it's probably a good idea...

justinlkgb
09-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Bearing buddies are a very good system as long as the seals in the back of the hub are in adequate shape. Most of the time, trailers with brakes have such seals already in place. If the trailer doesn't have brakes, those seals many not be present and the Bearing Buddy may not hold the grease in the hub well. Those seals can be bought from Bearing Buddy and are easy to install. They DO wear out, and if your trailer has 'em, they need to be replaced. If it doesn't have any seals, they need to be installed, especially if it has, or is going to have, trailer brakes.

Surge brakes - I think installing them on a trailer would be an expensive PITA. Having said that, most states have laws that require a trailer braking system on trailers over 1500 lbs GVW. Not to mention that it's probably a good idea...

As always Thanks again Big mac :D