PDA

View Full Version : Teak Platform

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Doug,

Can you post on here what you do to your teak deck. That thing looks awesome in the photo. I need to refinish mine. Thanks.

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Brian, I think part of the reason it looks so good is that it's still wet from the lake in that picture. I just redid it again because it was looking ragged and I installed a teak transom saver last weekend.

What you're looking at is just Starbrite 3 step with two coats of oil.

When I redid it this last time, I took the power sander to it, and followed with some teak oil I picked up at home depot. The results were good, but I did the same thing with my father-in-law's deck a few weeks ago, used regular old starbrite, and it looks better (a richer brown).

The process is (as adapted from some great advice from George M,

1. Power sand. Then hand sand using a finer grit each time (I think he said he went up to 400).
2. Apply teak oil with sponge or old t-shirt, and wipe off excess.
3. I used a fine steel wool between coats.
4. I think I put 5 or six coats on the top, and 2 on the bottom this last time.

Next time, I'll do more than power sand, and use starbrite or this stuff I heard about recently called "Teakguard" that's supposed to last a long time.

Bear in mind that I use my platform. I stand on it while putting on my ski and jump off. So it gets worn during the year.

bcampbe7
07-22-2004, 11:54 AM
I did the same thing on my paltform and it turned out great. The only problem I noticed is that it is very slippery. Not a big deal, just have to be careful and warn people.

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 11:56 AM
I've never had a problem with it being slippery. I forgot to add that I let it sit in the sun and dry between coats, and usually for 48 hours after the final coat.

Thanks to George M for the extra tips.

blannan
07-22-2004, 12:46 PM
I find that Star Bright works great. Just make sure you get the whole kit. It's well worth it!

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Actually, I got better results by skipping steps one and two, sanding instead, and then using multiple coats of oil. Of course, I haven't tried sanding and using 3 step yet. Probably works pretty great.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Thanks Doug, I'll give it a try.

Tom Wortham
07-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Per Doug's note a few weeks back... I picked up a "teakguard" Kit.
Comes with a cleaner, brass wool (so it doesn't shaving of steel to rust) and the "teak guard". $30 for the whole kit included shipping. Plan on trying it this weekend. I will keep all informed. Cheers. :cool:

JimN
07-27-2004, 05:12 PM
If you have a hard time finding brass wool, you can get a plastic handled, brass bristled brush about 2-3" wide. Easier on the hands and easier to get in between the slats.

east tx skier
07-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Let us know how it looks (with pictures hopefully). If it's good, I may pick some of that stuff up for next year.

Leroy
07-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Mine was very dark (3 years of oil and no cleaning) and tried the Starbright cleaner and a brush and it was going to take a long time. From before I remembered people using a water power blaster and that worked great for me and then used small electric hand sander to smooth the wood out a little (200 grit but worn). Couple of coats of oil and looks very nice. I have never put on bottom and the bottom still looks good.

Tom Wortham
07-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Would like to post a "before" picture. Not sure how to do this. It keeps asking for a web address. I just wanted to copy a picture from my computer. I'll keep digging.

Tom Wortham
07-27-2004, 05:33 PM
I added a "before" picture to the "Showroom". You can see it under "other MasterCrafts". Hope to get to it this weekend.
I just added a Prop guard to the trailer. Need to paint it. New carpet, upholstry and stereo next. Think I'm going to add some side boards. Have see a few late 80's that look good with them... plus it is a good place to add speakers and keep the skis from floping around. All this work is cutting into my ski time... so we will see how fast this project moves. Regards.

east tx skier
07-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Good luck. Keep us posted.

captkidd
07-28-2004, 02:09 PM
OK, my post count is really pathetic and I've got this picture of my swim platform just taking up space on my harddrive, so what should I do...?

BriEOD
07-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Ok I'll bite...Nice platform, what did you do?

captkidd
07-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Actually it was pretty similar to what Doug did. I had to have my transmission rebuilt under warranty and the dealer left the boat sitting outside through some really rough summer weather; it rained so much that the strap on the cover pulled loose due to the water puddled on the cover. Anyway, my platform was toast after all of this. I pulled it off, removed the brackets and used the 3-step Starbrite process. I still wasn't satisfied so I sprayed bleach on it and then pressure washed it. After it dried i used a belt sander with fine grit paper and a detail sander (triangular) to get the hard-to-reach spaces.

After I got the deck pretty smooth, I began applying Starbrite Golden Teak oil. I applied a coat, let it dry and then hand sanded it with fine grit sandpaper. I used a tack cloth to remove the loose stuff and then repeated the oil/sanding process several more times until I got the look I wanted. Each coat causes the finish to look deeper (very similar to finishing furniture with polyurethane).

_JR
07-30-2004, 12:48 AM
Good LORD man!

That platform is freaking BEAUUUUUTIFUL!!! :worthy:

I am ashamed, looks like I have found winter project #1!

Farmer Ted
07-30-2004, 01:00 AM
Brian,

Three step it and oil the pi$$ out of it when it gets scuffed up or starts to look like it needs it.

You can't use too much oil, I've oiled mine just before pulling out of the driveway and it wasn't slippery at the lake.

H20skeefreek
07-30-2004, 07:44 AM
if you use too much oil, and right before go to the lake, don't you get a big oil slick? I've done mine once, and no body wanted to get in the water b/c of all the oil in the water.

Farmer Ted
07-30-2004, 11:02 AM
when I oil mine, I pour the oil onto a rag and wipe it on. When I did the 3 step I poured the oil into a small cup, brushed on the first coat, let it soak, brushed on the second coat and wiped up the excess afterwards.

jake
07-30-2004, 11:25 AM
I posted this on the old board and it got a pretty good response, so I'll put it up again. I built this new teak platform just to give my 93' and updated look. The old one is in good shape too. I like the way the newer boats have this smooth surface. I'm plesently surprised though, that this one is much nicer to stand/kneel on than my old slated one.

jake
07-30-2004, 11:28 AM
BTW...I'm sure there's a thread out there on this, but I feel all insecure cause I'm a "newbie" again....cool new site though! :headbang:

jake
07-30-2004, 11:32 AM
Also some pics of it unfinished to show how I built it.

captkidd
07-30-2004, 02:52 PM
Jake, that platform really looks nice. It also looks a lot stronger and ultimately safer than the slotted platforms. Good work!

bcampbe7
07-30-2004, 04:32 PM
Very nice Jake.

H20skeefreek
07-30-2004, 05:11 PM
Jake, if you don't mind me asking what did that cost you to build. Or rather, would you be interested in making another one? And if so, how much?

did you just use standard tools, or did that require planers and complicated stuff?

where did you find the large pieces of teak?

jake
07-30-2004, 07:14 PM
H2O: it probably cost about $200 all said and done. I re-used my brackets from the old platform, so if you wanted new ones that would cost more.

It wasn't too tough to build. After planing, jointing and sanding my stock to dimensions, I primarily used a router with various jigs to mirror the shape of the old one. I did make it about 3 inches deeper, just cause I thought the extra space would be nice.

Teak isn't too tough to come by, but it is expensive. I have family connections to the woodworking business so I got a steal on mine...about $12.50 a board foot. Retail is about twice that. You'll probably have to find a hardwood dealer though, you won't likely find quality teak at your neighborhood lumber yard.

FYI. there are two types of teak on the market right now. You want old growth teak (for all the water resistant features you would expect). Old growth teak comes primarily from India where it is harvested deep in the rain forests. They transport it first by having elephants drag it miles and miles then floating it down a river. The whole process takes as much as 3 years to get a 5 ton teak log from forest to saw mill. I guess $12.50 doesn't seem too bad considering that.

There are hybrid teaks on the market now that grow much faster and aren't as dense (ie they're much softer woods) or resistant to water but are much cheaper. I think I've heard they are coming from South America, but don't quote me on that.

I could build you one. Wouldn't mind doing another one, although woodworking is a hobby for me so it generally takes a back seat to skiing until winter rolls around. I also know a woodworker that would happily build them custom to your specs. email me if you're interested.

MarkP
07-30-2004, 08:12 PM
I have been on the hunt for a nice deal on teak from the day Jake posted that swim platform on the OLD site.. I guess I’m in no real hurry as I can spend money very quick now-a-days, and as Jake says Its time to SKI:headbang:

east tx skier
07-31-2004, 01:48 PM
Jake, great picture. I really like the look of the solid (non-slotted) teak platforms. As I remember this being a topic when you last posted this picture, now that you've had it on there for a while, do you notice a differece when at rest in the boat getting pushed around a little more because of the lack of slots in the platform. I doubt it would make much of a difference, but remember our talking about that the last time, but don't remember the answer to that question. Again, nice work on that platform. :worthy:

jake
07-31-2004, 04:58 PM
Doug: then only thing I'm less than pleased about after having it on my boat for a while now, is that when sitting at anchor, if some good sized rollers come by, it catches a little more water and will make a small clanking sound. It takes pretty big waves to do it. The cause is that the removable brackets have a little bit of play (as you would expect) so they move slightly.

All in all though, I really like it. Like I said, it's much more comfortable to sit/kneel/stand on and I like the way it looks.

east tx skier
08-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Cool. I must not have nearly as much play in my brackets as you guys do. There's a little bit of it, but not so much that I've ever heard it moving.

G-man
08-07-2004, 05:27 PM
My teak now that I've gone to the dark side. I hand rub the oil in till my hand is dry, bake in the Texas sun till dry and reapply. After about three coats lightly sand, 150,200,400, wet sand 1000. Putting on oil between sandings. Don't forget to warn skiers that it is a little slippery on the bottom of the ski but not your feet.

André
08-07-2004, 06:59 PM
George
Great looking boat again! :)
Can you share with us why such a MasterCraft enthousiast like you decided to move to Correct Craft? :confused: (Wich i think are great boats)

G-man
08-07-2004, 07:18 PM
The short story is the location of the MC's is no longer easy to get to for service. They lost two out of three techs recently. They also took a long time to get back with me about a boat. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with MC boats, the new style dash doesn't thrill me but my son thinks it's awsome. Plus skiing and driving the TSC2 hull is unbeleivably. I can only hope this boat gives me the satisfaction of my old boat. Why did I sell mine? I was offered above market value. An offer I couldn't refuse or repeat here as a courtesy to the new owner.

André
08-07-2004, 07:25 PM
And i'm sure you'll sell this one again above the market value when you'll decide to.Did you get the 6 liters?

G-man
08-08-2004, 09:13 PM
No I didn't get the 6.0 litre engine. If you look at where in the power band that engine gets it's extra horsepower it's at 5100 rpm. The 5.7 has more low end torque and gets you going quicker. boats has 11 hours now and runs great. Now if that #6 ball would quit swimming away from me we could have some great fun.

east tx skier
08-11-2004, 11:37 AM
George, I've said it before, great looking boat, and that's coming from a guy that was a huge fan of your old boat, too.

When I redo my platform next year, I'm going to employ your decreasing grain of sand paper method. Also, there's just no beating that plain old star brite stuff (although I want to see what teak guard looks like).

lefaucheur
09-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for protecting the teak deck from salt water? It wears out after about 3 months using only the teak oil and sanding.

Thanks much, Aloha.

Bill

André
09-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Bill
I have the perfect solution for you:
Come live in Canada where ,believe me,one coat will last you the entire ski season! :uglyhamme
Salut!

east tx skier
09-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Don't know for sure if it'll work, but what about Teakguard?

Tom Wortham
09-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Doug,
As I mentioned earlier in this thread... I pick-up the "teak-guard" product. Think I will finally have time to try it out this weekend.
Hope to post some pictures on Monday, 9/13/04 with positive results. As you can see from my profile pictures.... my teak needs some work. I have neglected it too long. :uglyhamme Too busy skiing. :D

WallenpaupackPA
09-08-2004, 11:03 PM
I have used a product called Cetol Marine Light by Sikkens on the platform of my former boat (a Malibu) and the stuff worked awesome. I basically got through 2 seasons without touching it and it still looked great. If I still had the boat, I would have put 1 more coat on mostly to take care of the knicks and scratches. It is a really great finish. When I pull the X2 for the season, I will plan to put Cetol on it during the winter.

dwe
09-09-2004, 01:03 AM
I tried the teak guard on my '95 ps190. From the previous owner, I have the current style platform that I doubt had ever been redone. I thought it came out looking great, and had no residue in the water. But, this is my first ski boat, so I have nothing to compare it to. My only complaint was that I had to touch up a few places from ski fins. Now I tell everyone (and myself) not to put fins on the deck, and haven't had a problem.

lefaucheur
09-09-2004, 05:48 AM
I'll give Teakguard a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Aloha,

Bill

Tom Wortham
09-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Teakguard worked for me. Completed the teak restoration this weekend. I need to put one or two more coats... Four pictures. First is before any work was done. (Obvious) :( Second is after the cleaning, but not dry. Third is after it dried before teakguard was put on. Then the final shot is after two coats were put on (brass wool used in between coats. :) Hard to beleive it came back this well. NO sand paper was used. VERY Pleased :banana:

Leroy
09-13-2004, 11:16 AM
That looks great Tom. My only complaint is that it seems like you need to work on the teak about every week or two. How ofter do you or others re-oil? EDIT, bit exaggeration, but in one month starts looking worn.

Tom Wortham
09-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Leroy,
I was told with teak guard you do not have to re-oil every week or two. Product says it will last the whole season. I know we are on the back side of the season... but I will keep everyone posted the durability of this product. The "cleaning" phase was the hardest. :eek:

bcampbe7
09-13-2004, 11:54 AM
I only have to oil mine about 1 every 1-1.5 months.

richardsoncd
04-19-2005, 12:03 PM
I am starting to restore an old stars and stripes, the platform has been damaged and I was going to custom build one, does anyone have any tips?

jake
04-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Couple tips:

1. I like the solid top platform over the slotted one that came on my boat. If you're looking to make it "factory" then go slotted, otherwise the solid surface is more comfortable to use and probably easier to build. You can see the one I built earlier in this thread.

2. Use Gorilla glue to put it together along with lots and lots of stainless screws, and be sure to pre-drill and countersink before driving the screws. The Gorilla glue will expand like crazy as it dries, so be sure to check back on it once in a while to wipe off the squeeze out with a damp cloth. If you don't do this, you'll be sanding for hours to remove all the glue residue.

3. Make sure to buy good teak...old growth from India. Don't buy cheaper "new teak". It doesn't have the water resistant properties you are looking for. Old growth is more expensive, but worth it.

There's probably more...post any specific questions and I'll try to help out if possible. Good luck!

JEREMY79
04-19-2005, 03:35 PM
here is a pic of my platform that was built by Teak World in Tennessee

erkoehler
04-19-2005, 04:02 PM
I like it! :worthy:

jsonova99
04-22-2005, 01:17 PM
I've been trying to restore mine, and I think this may be the first oil it's seen in it's entire 14 years. I did the 3 stage starbrite process which seems to wrok great. I've actually been spraying the oil on, pretty heavy, then spreading it and letting it sit and the wood pretty much absorbs all of it. As it dries though it goes back to the faded wood color that it did after I used the stage 1 cleaner to get the gray scum off of it. Do you think that it is just absorbing that much oil and I should keep adding more? I just can't seem to get that nice golden color that everybody else seems to. :confused:

G-man
04-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Without seeing it it is hard to guess but I'll throw this out. Sand the wood starting with 150 grit, put two coats of Starbrite teak oil in the white bottle sanding between coats. sand 200 grit, oil, let dry sand again 200, oil sand 400 grit now wood should be smooth enough to hand rub oil in till your hand is dry. The starbrite helps seal the wood and it won't soak in as much. Check my photos for the final result. This was done first on my MC.

dmac
04-22-2005, 02:00 PM
Personally I would keep applying the oil. I doubt that you can over do it. We spray it on also. I do like the golden color guys are getting, I think it is due on part to age and exposure. Our boat had a summer on it when I bought it last fall. I had the dealer put a teak transom saver on it and there is a color difference. The saver has a "newer" look.

east tx skier
04-22-2005, 03:33 PM
I have never sprayed teak oil so I don't have an opinion on it. I always hand rub with an old t-shirt in the direction of the grain. George's sand/oil/repeat method cannot be beat.

jsonova99
04-22-2005, 03:50 PM
I will go with the sanding. I don't think mine will ever get the really golden honey color because it was just too neglected for so long, but it should come pretty close. I'm wondering if this is going to take a few iterations as well. Even as is, it's 100% better than it was.

Tom Wortham
04-22-2005, 04:40 PM
You can see how bad mine was. I used "Teak Guard". Picture tells the story. No sanding (rubbed with brass-wool sp?)

east tx skier
04-22-2005, 04:57 PM
I will go with the sanding. I don't think mine will ever get the really golden honey color because it was just too neglected for so long, but it should come pretty close. I'm wondering if this is going to take a few iterations as well. Even as is, it's 100% better than it was.

It'll take no more than one iteration, and several reiterations after that. ;) I've seen them go from so gray they were almost white to the prettiest golden brown you ever did see. Just keep applying and sanding.

BriEOD
04-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Tom--Big Difference, good work.

mitch
04-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Looks great Tom. I went the teakguard route last week ($30 kit as well). It's never looked so good. Hopefully it lasts like they claim. After oiling it would always look awesome, but after a very short time it looked bad. This stuff feels very different. We'll see. ;)

erkoehler
04-24-2005, 01:38 AM
You can see how bad mine was. I used "Teak Guard". Picture tells the story. No sanding (rubbed with brass-wool sp?)

That looks 100% better, how long did it take?

brady1022
04-24-2005, 03:19 PM
For all you guys buying the starbrite products from west marine, their cheaper "west marine" brand oil and everything, is made by starbrite, exact same product, different label. And cheaper, so if you're lookin to save a little cash...there's an easy way to do it. -Brady

erkoehler
04-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the tip :D

H20skeefreek
04-24-2005, 04:23 PM
For all you guys buying the starbrite products from west marine, their cheaper "west marine" brand oil and everything, is made by starbrite, exact same product, different label. And cheaper, so if you're lookin to save a little cash...there's an easy way to do it. -Brady

hmmm....I did not know that..... :rolleyes:

erkoehler
04-24-2005, 04:24 PM
Learn something new everyday! :D :cool:

ski_king
05-23-2005, 09:39 AM
I have been working on my teak and haven’t got the results I am looking for yet.
My platform looks pretty bad right now. The result of some bad teak oil a couple of years ago. I don’t remember the brand, but I put about 8 coats on it and it ended up like a varnish finish, which chipped off with use.

So far I have sprayed it with a high concentrate of bleach with a little soap, let it soak and spray off several times. I have also power sanded. I still have some dark areas where the old oil must have soaked it.

My plan (unless somebody gives me a better idea) is to use the Starbright 3 step process.
Maybe use some oil other than the Starbright if it is better.

What is the best oil?

jsonova99
05-23-2005, 09:55 AM
I have been working on my teak and haven’t got the results I am looking for yet.
My platform looks pretty bad right now. The result of some bad teak oil a couple of years ago. I don’t remember the brand, but I put about 8 coats on it and it ended up like a varnish finish, which chipped off with use.

So far I have sprayed it with a high concentrate of bleach with a little soap, let it soak and spray off several times. I have also power sanded. I still have some dark areas where the old oil must have soaked it.

My plan (unless somebody gives me a better idea) is to use the Starbright 3 step process.

What is the best oil?

the 3-step process did wonders on mine, I used another oil that was a lot cheaper than star-bright since I was putting on so many coats and it worked just as good, I can't remember the name though. Anyway, mine still needs some sanding and more oiling but mine looks 100 times better than it did.

stevo137
05-23-2005, 02:47 PM
My wife just happened to buy this teak oil at Menards called Watco.
I was very surprised at how easy it was to apply and how nice the platform looks.
I did a light sanding and applied about 3-4 coats last fall and it didn't even really need to be wiped.
I applied another quick coat before I took it out this weekend to see if it was slick and it was not slick at all! Great stuff and not very expensive.
Very easy to use and great results. ;)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-24-2005, 02:22 PM
I did the 3 step starbrite process with mine. Here are some pics to show what it looks like now. click on them below.

It was starting to go grey, I dont think it had been oiled in a while. When I bought the boat a month ago, I got a teak kit, and did it. I applied more oil than I thought I would need. I am into my 2nd bottle now. Its stopped soaking it in now. It looks rather sharp I think, but I am no expert on teak. For a first time rookie reconditioning attempt, it went well. I am pleased with it. Maybe I will try the sanding ideas that were previoiusly mentioned here.

jayocheskey
05-24-2005, 02:28 PM
That is quite a nice job! With mine, I oil it almost regularly after it's been on the water. They're impossible to keep perfect.

05-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks! :D I like it too. Not too bad for a first time attempt.

G-man
05-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Looks great, keep it up with light sanding and oil and you won't have to work so hard on it next time.

east tx skier
05-24-2005, 06:25 PM
George, what do you do in between coats? In other words, what do you consider light sanding?

05-24-2005, 09:38 PM
OK, I will try that sanding and oil combo. SOunds good. I plan to keep it in nice shape. Thanks for the advice! :wavey: :D

G-man
05-24-2005, 10:23 PM
ETS I sand with 800 or 1200 as long as the scratches aren't deep by hand then hand rub in 2 coats of oil with time to dry between

Crash
05-25-2005, 12:15 AM
One thing I've learned is that as the oil wears off due to rubbing, scratches, etc. some spots will show wood sooner than others. When you see wood showing again, spot sand and re-oil. Turn it into perodic little jobs as apposed to another big job. :twocents:

east tx skier
05-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks, George. I'll do that in lieu of a full strip and refinish. Just a few spots I'd like to gussy up a bit.

sfitzgerald351
05-25-2005, 02:21 PM

What is the best oil?

I keep saying it, but apparently people don't believe me, and love spending time oiling their teak. Don't bother, use Sikkens or West Marine Wood Pro! It's not a varnish and lasts way longer than oil. Looks about the same and doesn't flake off like varnish does. Look at the pics in my profile. That's after 2 seasons and 1 winter and still looks good. Some wear where the skis slide off the platform but otherwise for no work, pretty good. I also had a platform that I couldn't get to stay looking good. No idea what the previous owner did (or more likely didn't do!). But Wood Pro solved my problems.

peason
05-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Scott, do you keep you boat out in the sun all day? I have used Sikkens on my last boat, but when it wasn't being used, I stored the boat inside.

ski_king
05-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Scott, do you keep you boat out in the sun all day? I have used Sikkens on my last boat, but when it wasn't being used, I stored the boat inside.
I have been using Sikkens Cetol on my house. It looks great, but requires a new coat every 2 or 3 years.
I am not familuar with the Sikkens marine product.
I have the Starbrite 3 step process now and plan to use it.

Dan K
05-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Scott,
I have always used Sikkens as well. I agree that it is a great product for teak and lasts years between recoats. I always see the comments about applying teak and smile knowing I don't have to bother with this.

Tom Wortham
05-25-2005, 07:16 PM
That looks 100% better, how long did it take?

Factoring in a few cold ones... about 2.5 hours. I worked with the "cleaner" and the brass wool the longest. Sorry for the late response.

mika
06-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Teak is such a fun wood to keep looking nice. Have been working to keep teak looking perfect since I was a kid. I have tried many thinkgs and some with good results. Well all I can say is that to this point the MC platform has been to keep perfect. Only because it is removable. I take it off every Sunday night. The platform has its own special spot on a set of saw horses were it gets 2 to 3 coats of oil a week or every other week. It is about 7 years old and looks better today then it did new. It has a dark rich color. I have also never had a problem with the oil making the platform slippery. But it does sit for a week before it get used. Frequent oiling is IMO the best way to keep teak looking new. And hitting it with some steel wool now and again is never a bad thing. You have to open the pours of the wood now and again.

Tom Wortham
06-01-2005, 06:32 PM
MIka,
How about some pic? :D Also, do you have any problems with the steel wool getting stuck in the wood and rusting? :eek: Sounds like you are too detail for this to happen.... Just wondering for those of us that don't attend to our teak as often as we should... would "brass wool" be better? :confused: Can't wait to see those pics. Regards.

MarkP
06-01-2005, 06:44 PM
MIka,
How about some pic? :D Also, do you have any problems with the steel wool getting stuck in the wood and rusting? :eek: Sounds like you are too detail for this to happen.... Just wondering for those of us that don't attend to our teak as often as we should... would "brass wool" be better? :confused: Can't wait to see those pics. Regards.
Tom

I haven’t been following this thread too closely, but thought I would mention that “steel wool” also comes in a synthetic form. Its, if I’m not mistaken made from plastic or some form of poly. Home Depot will have it in the sandpaper isle.

Tom Wortham
06-01-2005, 06:53 PM
Great to know MP. I bet it's a lot cheaper than the "brass" stuff. Learning everyday on this board!

MarkP
06-01-2005, 07:03 PM
No doubt on the cost Tom. Its been a few years, but I don’t remember it being too pricey. I used to use it occasionally on wood between coats of finish, especially when not using an oil based finish as the “water based” finish would, as you said, have a rusting effect on the residual steel.

mika
06-03-2005, 05:14 PM
I will take some pics of the platform this weekend. It is suppoed to be 80 degrees in MI this weekend the water is calling me!

ski_king
06-05-2005, 09:17 PM
I finally got my teak platform presentable again. I was afraid of posting a before picture as you guys might have kicked me out of here..

cleaned with a strong bleach wash, sanded, Starbright 3 step process.
Not too bad for being 23 years old.

MarkP
06-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Nice job Denny!!

You in the water now??

ski_king
06-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Nice job Denny!!

You in the water now??
Got the boat in the water the last 2 weekends, hoping to keep the streak going. The boat still needs a good waxing, but other than that, it is ready.

The travel trailer is still under a tarp, but I hope to change that this week and get it ready and drag it up to camp.

SKI*MC
06-05-2005, 10:17 PM
my platform... we just put a transom savor in it, sanded it, and re-teaked it

ski_king
06-05-2005, 10:20 PM
my platform... we just put a transom savor in it, sanded it, and re-teaked it
Lookin good!!! Its nice to see the older platforms looking like new.

Teak may be a pain to take care of at times, but have you ever seen a 20+ year old fiberglass platform looking that good?

Ok, hit 1000 posts now, I am a MC Devotee!! :dance:

MarkP
06-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Lookin good!!! Its nice to see the older platforms looking like new.

Teak may be a pain to take care of at times, but have you ever seen a 20+ year old fiberglass platform looking that good?

Ok, hit 1000 posts now, I am a MC Devotee!! :dance:
ONE THOUSAND!!

No stopping you NOW!! congrats:banana:

east tx skier
06-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Just got a coat on my teak this weekend. Having trouble with one of the brackets, so I dropped some plastic behind it and did it while it was still on the boat. The bottom will have to wait until next year. One coat to go. Lookin' good (pics to come).

erkoehler
06-06-2005, 01:02 AM
For those without the removable platform, how do you tie down the boat?

It is a real pain to take my platform off every time I need to tie it down. Any other solutions???

east tx skier
06-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Strap over the top of the boat (behind motor box) connected at trailer eylits on the fenders (mine have steel backing plates).

erkoehler
06-06-2005, 01:17 AM
I might start doing that on my short runs to the river, it is a real pain to take the platform on and off every time. Not hard, just seems wasted.

BriEOD
06-06-2005, 07:52 AM
Strap over the top of the boat (behind motor box) connected at trailer eylits on the fenders (mine have steel backing plates).

Ditto for me. 5K lb tinsile strength strap.

mika
06-06-2005, 08:45 AM
Here is my Platform. The only thing I have done to mantain it is remove it at the end of the weekend and store it inside and I oil it weekly or everyother week.

JEREMY79
06-06-2005, 09:10 AM
Here is one of mine. I pretty much do the same thing. Just be sure to oil it.

MarkP
06-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Looks good Jeremy, but I’m going to have to ask for more boat shots in your gallery..

JEREMY79
06-06-2005, 09:32 AM
ask and ye shall recieve. Tell me how to do it.

MarkP
06-06-2005, 10:02 AM
ask and ye shall recieve. Tell me how to do it.
Just sent an instructional PM….

JEREMY79
06-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Check the gallery

MarkP
06-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Check the gallery
Nice… did the instructional help or did you know all that already??

JEREMY79
06-06-2005, 10:57 AM
I figured it out. But I will tell you it helped if it makes you feel better

mika
06-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Jeremy79 VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your boat looks awesome. It is unrestored?

JEREMY79
06-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Jeremy79 VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your boat looks awesome. It is unrestored?

Sorry, no. Every bolt new and not a screw unturned. (well mostly)

mika
06-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Jeremy, Very well done. You did a great job man. The pictures look awesome and I bet they dont do it justice.

How long did it take you to restore it?

JEREMY79
06-06-2005, 11:30 PM
I restored the outside in a winter. I had a full time sales job. Had plenty of money to fix it. Then I quit and started working for myself. The engine has taken longer because of the lack of funds.

Puppy's (my kids)
getting married
that equals= NO MONEY

Thanks for the compliment. Where are you located?? do you ever get this way?

east tx skier
06-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Got the second coat on mine last night. Looks so pretty. Gonna be a shame to mess it up next week. :D

mika
06-08-2005, 12:03 PM
I am located in Michigan. Between work and going to school for my Masters I currently don't travel much.

Have talked about doing a house boat vacation in KY, and that is somthing I am looking at doing next year. Some nice warm weather and some warm water would be a nice treat.

JEREMY79
06-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Some of our family has a houseboat a Dale Hollow we do that trip about 3 times a summer. No better place in the world :twocents:
Let me know if you ever get down