PDA

View Full Version : Towing a boat is harder then it looks.

michael freeman
09-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Had the chance to help out a fellow boater last night. Towed them in from the other side of the lake back to their marina and almost found out the hard way that towing a boat isn't as easy as it looks.

I didn't have my Y-rope with me so I just attached their rope to the right hand lift point on the transom and took it easy. After a really long slow tow across the lake we arrived at the marina of which their spot was at the end. I set up to come up on the right and swing around and found out at the "no wake" speed I had almost zero steering control and since I attached the rope to the right side of my boat, their boat was pulling me to the right, into some very expensive boats. I ended up slamming the throttle forward so I could get some steering input and then back to idle to try to get both of us to stop. Ended up reversing to get my boat to stop and then jumping over the transom onto the swim platform to keep us from bumping.

I would rather be lucky then skilled, because some how I stopped my boat within feet of the end of the marina alley, and I managed to stop their boat before it hit my boat. We ended up close enough that they were able to jump off onto the dock and walk their boat into their spot, and my boat had drifted sideways and was set up to leave. Save for the thought of what could happen, everything worked out perfect.

I will think twice before towing someone into tight spaces.

phecksel
09-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Better to set them up for a wind or current drift into a dock, or even them paddle the last few feet.

Leroy
09-02-2007, 10:48 PM
You are too nice!

I get them close and drop the rope.

sizzler
09-03-2007, 08:46 AM
i have towed friends from the ski pylon...more control......all at idle speed.....when approaching the dock i turn hard and drop the rope and let them drift in.....

JohnE
09-03-2007, 08:42 PM
I had a good teacher for my first tow.;)

I towed him from the transom tow point, and when we got close, I cut my boat to the left and my wife tossed the rope to the ones being towed and they drifted right to Mike's dock.:D

TMCNo1
09-04-2007, 06:47 AM
I had a good teacher for my first tow.

I towed him from the transom tow point, and when we got close, I cut my boat to the left and my wife tossed the rope to the ones being towed and they drifted right to Mike's dock.
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

ShamrockIV
09-30-2007, 10:05 AM
I always use the pylon. u get a better pull!!!!

CottagerGreg
09-30-2007, 10:08 PM
i've rescued a few people on my lake this year.. oddly enough everytime someone ran outta gas on the way to the gas dock.. I was on my way too.. only cause I was going to get a 2ltr Kawartha Diary Ice cream from the general store next to the gas dock..

4000lb tubin rope comes in handy! Loop around bow eye and on ski pole and your set.. nice easy towing...

michael freeman
09-30-2007, 11:05 PM
BTW, the boat I was towing was about the size of an X-45 or a little bigger. I was scared to attach it to my ski pylon, I wanted to use the stronger lift points on the transom so if we hit a big wake or something the rope would break before damaging my boat.

I have a Y rope, but forgot it that day. It would have made my experience less exciting. I agree the ski pylon would work great, I just don't like stressing it that much.