PDA

View Full Version : Gettin' Hammered (Remodel)

PendO
09-02-2007, 02:22 AM
So, my boat sits on the lift this weekend as we are trying to get the demo work done so that we can be ready for the contractors to start putting in new floors, countertops, mudset in the bathroom ... needless to say I have to remove the existing floors and underlayment ... a real PITA, especially where there was already existing tile in the entry and powder room ... so I will share a few pics and ... allegedly doing the demo will save me 2K of labor, but I spent 300 of that already as you will see in on of the pics to follow ... and, what I really enjoyed the most was finding out that the plumbers did not install the drain correctly for our current 1piece shower unit in the bathroom ... here I am all jacked to take it out, ripping the fiberglass out, and then when I get the sheating uncovered what do I find ... great, luckily it was not into the floor joists, but I do have to remove sheetrock downstairs ... oh, the glass storm door, guess I should have realized that since I wear eye protection knocking out the tile that there was a pretty good chance that a small piece of tile could hit the door, but I was just thinking about having a little extra natual light in while I worked ... nice

PendO
09-02-2007, 02:23 AM
gotta love my quality plumbers ( house is three years old) ... bunch of F-sticks

PendO
09-02-2007, 02:24 AM
so I had to cut out the rot ...

PendO
09-02-2007, 02:25 AM
looking happy before I knew what was beneath my feet

PendO
09-02-2007, 02:27 AM
house is getting a bit messy:)

PendO
09-02-2007, 02:28 AM
yes, dad broke the door ... sure, you can go tell mom to come look .... FAK!

PendO
09-02-2007, 02:30 AM
OSHA, Department of Labor ... sure I have a child work permit
'
uniforms, hell, we just need crocks, a t-shirt and "big-boys"

PendO
09-02-2007, 02:34 AM
all dressed up to help pick up the kitchen floor ... way better than being out in the boat:)

PendO
09-02-2007, 02:37 AM
are we having fun yet ... actually, she is ...

(then end - until we start again tomorrow)

Roonie's
09-02-2007, 03:28 PM
The plumbing itself looks good. Must have been the connection. Cover that pipe so no big chunks of drywall, nails, or glass get in there and cause more problems for you.

Good project.

Another reason why not to use OSB as your underlayment especially in bathrooms.

TX.X-30 fan
09-02-2007, 04:29 PM
OSHA, Department of Labor ... sure I have a child work permit
'
uniforms, hell, we just need crocks, a t-shirt and "big-boys"

Was anyone itching later, Have to love that kraft faced insulation.

I have done that 3 times now, all bathrooms finished now.

Good luck PendO, lookin good so far. :D

Hoosier Bob
09-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Nice job Casey! Love the fact that in a bathroom demo tread you still manged to get the wifey in there!;)

One more pic of her in there when it is done would be a nice finish!:D PM accepted!

wakolman
09-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Are you putting a tiled shower with glass door in where the shower stall was? Why take out the tile that is 3 yrs. old?

Nice job on the door! ;)

PendO
09-03-2007, 04:11 PM
okay, so I have a plumbing question

the new show is going to be a tile mudset, I have the "weep drain" (if that is what it is called) ... what do I use to adhere/screw the flange to the subfloor ... silicone and/or screws (if so what type of material) since the tile guy will put his first layer of mud down on the subfloor, then put the bladder down, and put down two more layers of mud and then tile

PendO
09-03-2007, 04:12 PM
looks better than it did a few days ago

PendO
09-03-2007, 04:14 PM
this is the only bracing that is down there (I'm guessing it is there for the proper elevation) ... but I need to put some bracing / strapping closer to the "trap" with that copper strapping material?

PendO
09-03-2007, 04:15 PM
HB ........................ not quite a ss pic, but its all I got today.

Roonie's
09-03-2007, 04:42 PM
silicone is fine. Strap the ABS with strapping. The copper stuff is only for copper pipe so you don't get cross metal contamination and start corrosion. You can use the cheaper strapping material galvanized metal sold by the roll at any home despot for ABS. If you strap it in tight it should not move up or down.

TX.X-30 fan
09-03-2007, 05:00 PM
okay, so I have a plumbing question

the new show is going to be a tile mudset, I have the "weep drain" (if that is what it is called) ... what do I use to adhere/screw the flange to the subfloor ... silicone and/or screws (if so what type of material) since the tile guy will put his first layer of mud down on the subfloor, then put the bladder down, and put down two more layers of mud and then tile

I don't totally understand, have never done 2nd. floor, but would you not want to install the pan (bladder) first and place a block in there to hold the drain high enough to put the mud bed in?? Why would you want to put the mud onto OSB

It is easy to install the shower liner, I bought extra and ran the stuff 3' up all the walls just for safety. The mud bed is not rocket science either, all just gently slopes to the drain.

Looks good, and thanks for the wifey pic. :D :D

Roonie's
09-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I have done about 10 of these kind of pans. You want a slope on the bladder so if water gets through ( give it time and it will) it can go into drain. Otherwise it will hit the lip of the drain and stay which in turn can wreck a tile floor over time. By putting a base down sloped toward drain you have elevated the bladder high enough to go over drain lip. Then put a lot more mud on top to really give it a good solid base so no cracking in mortar bed. I would have used plywood however to put the mud down onto. I will also usually put tar paper down first so the mud is sitting on that rather than plywood.

PendO
09-03-2007, 07:05 PM
silicone is fine. Strap the ABS with strapping. The copper stuff is only for copper pipe so you don't get cross metal contamination and start corrosion. You can use the cheaper strapping material galvanized metal sold by the roll at any home despot for ABS. If you strap it in tight it should not move up or down.

Thanks ... just got back from HomedePot with the strapping and silicon (and a nice book on tiling)

The mud is no longer going to be on OSB, I put a 1/2" overlay of plywood, and I am putting in the curb and framing a 1/2 wall ... so the weight of the preslope (1st layer of mortar sloped to the drain) and then the bladder, followed by 2 more layers of mortar, and then the tile

tx - the drain is a three piece so the top piece adjusts depending on the depth of the mortar II(understand)C

thanks fellas

André
09-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Pendo
This is the drain and waterproofing system i used in my shower 5 years ago and still looking good and dry.Good stuff and lots of infos on their site...
http://www.schluter.com/3777.aspx

André
09-03-2007, 08:17 PM
4 x 6 with 2 shower head...