PDA

View Full Version : Give me the shaft...

Chas
09-01-2007, 10:36 PM
I need a 1" by 48" single-taper prop shaft for my Stars and Stripes. Where should I go to get it? Local MC dealer is quite a drive, but I would be glad to call and go get it if that's the hot ticket.

What say you all?

Oh- the reason the shaft needs replacing is that the coupler got loose and chewed up the front end of the shaft. It looks as though this may have happened before, and the shaft was welded up and machined. I don't know if that can happen a second time or not.

I suspect the strut may be bent, which may have led to the problem in the first place. I'm going to go for a new shaft, strut/bearing, and I would like info on the dripless shaft seal please...

Thanks.

JLeuck64
09-01-2007, 11:55 PM
http://www.elberts.com/

I've purchased drivetrain components for a couple of my boats from Elbert's before. Quality is great, prices are fair too.

It's the dang shipping and handling that kills me these days though!

Give em a call, very nice and friendly to deal with.

TMCNo1
09-02-2007, 12:00 AM
www.skidim.com, Discount Inboard Marine!

Jim@BAWS
09-02-2007, 12:04 AM
I would recomend calling your LOCAL MC dealer. He can have it dropped shipped right to you from the factory.

Jim@BAWS

Chas
09-02-2007, 12:44 AM
OK - excellent. Thanks for the help. I'll see who is open over the holiday weekend...

Next question - should I go for factory stock parts or are there some upgrades which would make sense?

For example, the dripless seal - is this worth the money/bother? I keep my boat on a trailer, and I've never had any trouble with the seal before. But as long as the shaft is out of the boat, should I go to a newer/better design?

Any updates on the strut other than the fancy-looking polished metals?

I'm bringing this boat back from the brink - it's an older boat but seems to have a good heart. Fresh 351 and the transmission seems fine. I just bought it last week. I would like to think about a different intake system once I get her on the water.

Thanks again...

Chas
09-03-2007, 03:00 PM
OK - the shaft will be here around Friday of this week. Cecil at Elbert's was very helpful, and it was nice to find him there on the holiday.

I ordered the dual-taper shaft system with all parts.

After talking with Cecil I am going to try to clean up and reinstall my existing strut and then try the alignment. I have the old shaft handy, so if I need to twist the strut a bit to get things lined up I can use that.

I will put the old packing and seal gear in place for now - I want to get this boat on the water ASAP and do a complete shakedown to see what the list looks like before I spend much more.

BTW the shaft came in at around $300 including coupling, nuts and keys.

betsy&david Harrison
09-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Chas, are you aware of the dealer out in Valencia?

JLeuck64
09-05-2007, 02:51 PM
I forgot to mention that I replaced my shaft log with the OJ dripless system and have no complaints what so ever.

I had to replace the old shaft sea due to damage so was looking to upgrade anyway. If yours is still good you could just replace the wax packing rope and save some bucks.

Dan K
09-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Jleuck64,
from the looks of your picture it apepars you need to do some alignment work. The gap on the coupling does not appear to be even, maybe it was the angle of the picture.

Ric
09-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Jleuck64,
from the looks of your picture it apepars you need to do some alignment work. The gap on the coupling does not appear to be even, maybe it was the angle of the picture. now you are just being out of line dank

JLeuck64
09-06-2007, 12:48 PM
No worries mate!

I took that picture during my boat reconstruction this summer. You can rest assured knowing I got it lined up to within .003" alright!

Hey, thanks for the concern!