PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with a hot tub ozonator

suedv
09-01-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm thinking about getting an ozonator for our hot tub. Do any of you have experience with one? If so what should I consider. Have you been happy with it? Advice is welcome.

Leroy
09-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Our swimming pool shop is recommending this for our pool. I'm trying to decide between the O2 system and salt still.

shepherd
09-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Coincidence. We were looking at new hot tubs this afternoon and the salespeople in both shops we visited recommended the ozonators (one tub came with it, the other one needed it as an add-on - $300). Sounds like a good idea. They claim you'll use fewer chemicals.

I guess I'm not telling you anything you haven't heard already though...

phecksel
09-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Can't comment on the ozonator, but will offer that the quickest way to cut down on chemicals, either ban suits totally, or have hot tub specific suits that NEVER see soap. DiChlor had been recommended to me and the few times I ventured into something else, regretted it.

Hoosier Bob
09-01-2007, 11:14 PM
I have one in my Hot tub! I do not know what it does. It is supposed to save me chemicals and such. I check ph and adjust accordingly. They said it would save me a bunch and keep the tub cleaner. I have nothing to compare this with.

Sorry:o

123src
09-01-2007, 11:39 PM
I let them talk me into an Ozonator when we bought our tub 3 years ago or so. Other than being a $300 add-on inside my tub, I can't really say it was worth it. I wish I would have waited. Like HB, i have nothing to compare it to. If I would have waited, i would know. My buddy did NOT get one, and we seem to go through the same relative amount of chemicals (not a scientific study).

FrankSchwab
09-02-2007, 02:32 AM
With the Ozonator, you can run with a lower chlorine/bromine level and keep the water sterile. However, this is pretty much a "laboratory result", and not a real world situation.

1. You still have to keep chlorine in the spa. If you have to go through the hassle of keeping chlorine/bromine around, and regularly feeding it to the spa, what's the big deal with a 3 ppm level vs. a 1 ppm level?
2. If you don't keep chlorine in the spa, algae will start growing on the walls. The Ozonator only kills stuff that goes through it; it doesn't do squat for algae growing on the walls. Don't let the salesman tell you that the ozone gets distributed in the water; ozone is a nasty gas, and you would not want it coming out of the water while you were in the spa. Ozonators are designed so that the ozone has reacted/dissipated by the time the water flows out of the unit.

We had one on ours; I removed it during some maintenance, and never missed it. I keep the water good by keeping a high bromine level (no, bromine/chlorine in the water doesn't make it smell like chlorine. Pee in the water forms chloramines (chlorine/ammonia mixtures), which smell bad and sting your eyes), and replacing the water every two months or so. I've only got a 180 gallon spa (big enough for me and the wife), so it's not a big deal.

/frank

123src
09-02-2007, 03:02 AM
replacing the water every two months or so.

/frank

I must say, changing the water regularly has made the biggest difference for me in keeping the water quality good. I change every 3-4 months (5-600 gallon tub). I was never told the importance of this when I bought the tub, but after about 6 months with the origional water, I could not keep the quality levels right, no matter how much chemicals i put in. It was suggested to me that changing the water might help. Boy, did it ever.

Keep this in mide. It helped my frustration level in check.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-02-2007, 10:33 AM
I agree totally about the water changing often. its very important. If you have an old school hot tub, I mean old school with a gas heater, they are much easier to maintain because they are cold most of the time, hence much less algae growth, and you dont need as many chemicals then. but with the "normal" style hot tubs that stay hot all the time, you gotta stay on them constantly to keep them in check. I think the best advice is just change the water often, and use the least amount of chemical necessary to keep the water clean. that way you got fresh water, and not as many chemicals to deal with. plus, some people complain that the chemicals are hard on their skin, so that helps those folks too.

WTRSK1R
09-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Can't comment on the ozonator, but will offer that the quickest way to cut down on chemicals, either ban suits totally, or have hot tub specific suits that NEVER see soap.

No ozonator in ours, but I have thought about adding one.
I have to agree about the soap issue. If you wash your suit regularly, you will have a foam issue in the hot tub. If you use the same suit for the tub all the time and limit washing, the chemicals in the tub seem to keep the suit from getting gamey, and the tub does not have issue with foaming.
I also change the water in ours about every 3 months.

phecksel
09-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Phosphates from the soap used to wash the suits increases the algae growth. More algae, more chemicals, more chemicals, more imbalance. I change water about every six months and it's more out of convienence then any necessity. No suits is more fun anyway, LOL.

Hoosier Bob
09-02-2007, 11:32 PM
I tried to tell Leroy that but he would not listen!;) Phosphates from the soap used to wash the suits increases the algae growth. More algae, more chemicals, more chemicals, more imbalance. I change water about every six months and it's more out of convienence then any necessity. No suits is more fun anyway, LOL.

suedv
09-02-2007, 11:40 PM
We just dry our suits and don't put them in the wash but a no suits rule wouldn't work so well around here. We live in the city and our 2 kids are college students going to school here in town (at different schools). You never know when one of them and their frends will stop to do a load of wash, borrow the boat, use the hot tub, raid the kitchen, just hang out and talk, and etc. I like it when the kids come by so swim suits are a small price to pay. :)

Hoosier Bob
09-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Hey Sue! There were some extra bubbles in the hot tub tonight and I can tell you the Ozonater did not help a bit!:D

suedv
09-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Hey Sue! There were some extra bubbles in the hot tub tonight and I can tell you the Ozonater did not help a bit!:D

Pretty good :uglyhamme

rlivingood
09-05-2007, 02:20 PM
I have had multiple spas and wouldn't own one without one. My current Hotspring came with the bulb type, but I upgraded to the Corona Discharge method. I bought and installed myself with great savings: These are the ones I like:

http://www.delozone.com/products-resid-spas-plat.html

mccobmd
09-05-2007, 02:31 PM
I have a Jacuzzi with one. We use the Chlor Free system which is a heavy metal system and don't use any other chemical, change the water once or twice per year.