PDA

View Full Version : Tower Shakes

dannmarlifts
09-01-2007, 11:08 AM
I have a X-80 that has less than 30 hours on it, and the tower shakes likes crazy. I tried to tighten down the bolts as best as possible however still a problem. Any suggestions.

ALso when traveling this tower does not come down, any support suggestions?

Thank you

sand2snow22
09-01-2007, 11:18 AM
My major gripe with MC boats, their towers shake. IMO they need to fix the design. I have found the less weight up there the better. More weight like tower speakers, boards, etc. the more it will shake. What year is your boat?

Roonie's
09-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Here is a thread about the tower shake.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=18749&highlight=tower+shake

They make braces for this you can order and maybe even get it warrantied through your dealer as some have. A band-aid in my opinion. Also the bolt that tightens the tower is located underneath and best to have the dealer do it.

I am not familiar with the X-80 tower but if it is like most towers there are two big round black knobs at the base of the tower facing inward. Unscrew the forward knob on both sides and take it out. Loosen the other knob both sides slightly. Then undo the two clamps on the tower legs and undo the wiring harness and your tower should be able to fold down onto the engine cover. I don't know if the X-80 has a different tower then the other boats because it is bigger but I doubt it. If you have speakers and lights on the tower it is heavy.

dannmarlifts
09-01-2007, 02:23 PM
This model cannot fold the tower down. Its stuck in its upright position.
I dont know why they call it a zero flex tower when horizontally it flexes like crazy.
Thank you for giving feedback.

dannmarlifts
09-01-2007, 02:25 PM
2007 model just received it 2 months ago.
4 speakers with lights.

I can only wonder what this does to the body of the boat in transit to the lake.

sand2snow22
09-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Recently I had a cousin riding in the bow, we went through some chop and he said, "Bryan the tower is shaking back and forth." I said, "I know." He said, "Is that normal?" I said "Unfortunately Yes."

IMO the tower is all show, no go and held to a lower standard. But, the board racks are held to a higher standard and the best in the business.

I will say I just got back from the dealer, there was a nice 2008 X-14 with the new support braces and no tower speakers. The tower was pretty solid......

Roonie, how is your tower in the chop with no tower speakers?

Roonie's
09-01-2007, 04:17 PM
My tower still shakes a lot and has been commented on the shaking whenever anybody rides in the boat and sees it. My wife was initially worried about the structural integrity of it as she was sitting behind the tower. I re-assured her it shouldn't fall.

I have an 07 X2

dannmarlifts
09-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Mine said the same, and I had the same reply.

TheOneandOnly
09-01-2007, 04:35 PM
does anyone know if the braces fix the shaking? Ive seen the 08 with them which I would have thought that they would have just redesigned the tower to have the mating mount closer to the back to reenforce structural integerity. I would be concerned Roonie with the gel spidering over time since a load always tugging on something will strain the mounting. Hopefully they are right!

Roonie's
09-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Here is the other thread on the tower shakes and a better pic of the braces. I have heard the braces fix the shaking or dramatically reduce it.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=18269