PDA

View Full Version : X-Star Prop at 6000 ft.

swchopper
09-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Can any SLC, Denver, or other X-star 450 HP owners tell me what prop they are using?

I am picking up 05 X-Star in Phoenix this morning, but taking it to my hometown in New Mexico. Lake is at 6200 feet, higher than Denver and SLC.

Thanks!

ProTour X9
09-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Sorta a threadjack..... Why do you need different props for boats in high altitudes. (Please no flying boat comments)

Andyg
09-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Sorta a threadjack..... Why do you need different props for boats in high altitudes. (Please no flying boat comments)

ProTour X-9,
Engines do not produce enough power at higher elevations to turn the stock props. The reason they don't produce as much power is that there is less oxygen at elevation. Think of an engine basically as a big air pump. The more air you can get in and out of the engine the more power you will create. However the component of air that is needed for combustion is oxygen and even if you are bringing in the same volume of air there is less oxygen in it for combustion at elevation.

Andyg

WakePowell
09-01-2007, 03:51 PM
I have an '05 X-45 with the L-18 (450 HP) motor. I used the boat in Colorado for two seasons. Anytime I use the boat at altitudes greater than 6,000 ft I use a 17.5x19.5 prop. At lower altitudes I use a 19.5x22 prop.

It will take a few minutes for the ECM to adjust once you start it at a different altitude so don't be surprised if it doesn't run well at first.