PDA

View Full Version : Tie-down opinions

jjdiv
08-31-2007, 11:11 PM
Hello,

I'm about to be a 1st time MC owner--buying a Prostar and towing it 900 miles. Can you advise me on the best way to tie it down. It's on a 95 MC trailer. There are no eyelets welded on the trailer to hook in ratchet straps.

I was thinking of removing the platform and running a strap from the bunk stantions up to the transom eyes or somthing like this. I guess you could also run it under both bunks and over the gunnels (one loop)?

I would appreciate your advice--I'd really like to see a picture.

Thanks very much:)

FrankSchwab
08-31-2007, 11:48 PM
Buy two ratchet straps.

Tie a strong rope into a loop about 2' in diameter.

Loop the rope around the trailer frame, attach a ratchet strap to the transom eye and to both ends of the rope.

Tighten the ratchet.

Do the same for the other side.

All done.

Chief
09-01-2007, 07:27 AM
Get straps called "Soft Straps". The hook is offset on one end so you can secure to eye without having to use the actual hook of strap on eye. They are used to secure motorcycles. Any motorcycle shop will have them. They work great.

If you don't get the soft straps at least get the one's that the hook has been dipped in plastic to prevent any oops.

flipper
09-01-2007, 12:45 PM
This is what I have, and love them. Makes it easy

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=32050&pdesc=BoatBuckle_Tie_Down_System

FrankSchwab
09-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I've got the same thing, Flipper. I luv'em too.

Walmart tends to have a low-end version of the same thing.

However, I wasn't sure jjdiv would have a chance to drill 1/2" holes and tighten bolts before starting the long tow. I was just trying to help him out with a quick-and-dirty tiedown that should be pretty darned secure.

/frank

JimN
09-01-2007, 02:56 PM
If the ratchet strap is long enough, you don't need loops, holes or anything like that. The hooks go together around the boat and trailer and the strap is tightened. If the strap is looped around the trailer rails and the ratchet is between the rail and the hull, it won't damage anything.

123src
09-01-2007, 03:30 PM
This is what I have, and love them. Makes it easy

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=32050&pdesc=BoatBuckle_Tie_Down_System

I also have them. Love them. Make it sooo easy.

123src
09-01-2007, 03:32 PM
I may have postd this pic before, but you can see the strap in action at the right.

JimN
09-01-2007, 08:34 PM
When I worked for the boat dealers, we included them with every boat sold. They're pretty cheap- I don't know why all dealers don't include them, other than the obvious.

JimN
09-01-2007, 08:35 PM
123src- You'll never go on plane with the trailer strapped on.:D

jjdiv
09-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks everyone!

Have you guys ever considered notching your platform to allow the straps to feed through?

123src
09-01-2007, 11:43 PM
123src- You'll never go on plane with the trailer strapped on.:D

I've been wondering about that. It just seems sooo bogged down. I felt too stupid to ask. A guy at the ramp told me I was supposed to leave the trailer with the truck, but I figured he was just an moron. You guys always come through in helping me out:D

123src
09-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks everyone!

Have you guys ever considered notching your platform to allow the straps to feed through?

I notched mine out for the hook/ strap to fit through. I'll get a picture up if you wanna see....

123src
09-01-2007, 11:57 PM
here is a crop of a picture from earlier in the year. I would be embaressed to post a picture of my swim platform in its current condition (Harold is watching) ;)

jjdiv
09-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks--that looks great. I'll be doing the same. I honestly cannot believe that MC doesn't make a tiedown setup (including a notched platform) standard--particularly when they supply the custom trailer.

Ben
09-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Other option is to get a "transom" tie down strap and go over the top of the boat. I've been doing that for a few years. The trailer has a round eye on the top behind the fender. This way, you don't have to deal with the issues from the rear hooks/swim platform/etc. Make sure it is tight, or I think someone else puts a sock around it where it contact the hull. My strap is made for this, so it has an additional protector at the buckle. This will prevent chafing from the strap @ hwy speeds.

123src
09-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Here is an action shot with the hook and strap through the notch!

123src
09-02-2007, 02:52 PM
The white you see is not wear marks from the strap. It is the water line. I am ashamed to say I did not clean the boat that well last night when we came off the river:(