PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid leak 2000 205v ltr

sheckski
08-31-2007, 03:47 PM
It looks like i have developed a very serious loss of atf, although I can not identify where it is coming out. The loss of fluid in the unit and the presence of atf in the bidge kinda removes all doubt. abot the seriousness of the problem.

I amassuming that I have blown a seal. My question is if the engine needs to be removed on this v drive to replace that seal or if it can be worked around.

thanks

WAT8415
08-31-2007, 04:13 PM
No Idea, but someone should be around to help.

pkskier
08-31-2007, 04:27 PM
A friend of mine has a 1999 205V that he just took to Texas MC with a tranny leak. They said it was probably the front seal and would be about $1000.00. They have to pull the transmission.

jraben8
08-31-2007, 04:53 PM
That's what they quoted me over the phone for my rear seal last winter .

I did it myself but mine is a DD... I didn't have to pull the transmission or loosen the motor mounts but it was still a PITA!

sheckski
08-31-2007, 05:37 PM
any resources you can direct me to so i can see what i need to do before I start ?

Wake Faller
11-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi Sheckski-

I believe I have the same issue in my 2000 Maristar (330 hp LTR with ZF Hurth 630V). Did you make this change yourself (or has anyone here - please speak up!!)?

I get a slow ATF leak into the bilge - not the cooler, hoses, etc. (already checked) - so I have to assume it is the shaft seal.

I am mechanically inclined (water pumps, all maint, changing outdrives - old boat, pull drives from my jet skis, etc.) but I have never pulled a tranny (plus this is my first VD or DD boat).

Is this something I should attempt myself given that it is really difficult for me to get the boat to a dealer (2.5 hrs away + no trailer:().

I would really appreciate any insight or advice anyone could offer on this....

Thanks,
Craig

Ahab
03-29-2009, 01:59 AM
I have a 205V 01 had the same thing happen. Had to have dealership do the repairs do to you have to pull the engine and transmission to get to the seal. Cost of the seal is about 100 dollars but the labor was about $1200. Wish I could have done it myself but impossile for me to pull engine and transmission out without an overhead hoist.

haayjay
03-30-2009, 03:14 PM
check your filter to make sure it's not leaking. I had a simular prob. on my zf 450 D.

sertmaverick
08-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I have a 99 Maristar VRS V-Drive....when I bought it (used 3 yrs ago) I had a bit of water in the transmission housing and in the bilge. It didn't appear to be leaking in any visible areas, so I took it to the dealer. The transmission was removed without the engine being removed; however a hoist was required to lift out the transmission since it's so frickin big. The dealer called me and I was shown exactly where the problem was. It has a seal leak on the bottom of the transmission main seal and rear seal. As the boat had a bit of water in the bilge and the transmission was engaged it would suck water up into the transmission from these very small leaks, then when the boat sat it would leak back into the bilge slowly. Not sure if that's the same problem your having but I was pretty convinced since the boat was about 7 years old and the prior owner didn't maintenance the boat very well. Good luck. I was told to minimize the amount of water in the bilge. It helped contribute to the fast breakdown of the main seal because the bilge water came to the bottom of the transmission most of the time.

B-rad
08-04-2009, 07:33 PM
If you search the site there are several postings of people who have replaced the seal themselves. I'm currently having issues with my 99 x-star, but Im changing the tranny cooler first to see if this is where my water is coming from, if not I guess ill pull the trans and replace it. If im not mistaken I think ironj is his login did a writeup on changing the seal himself. hth.