PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt coil

etduc
08-31-2007, 01:36 PM
I have 1990 Tristar, had Unilite electronic distributor, with electronic 9 volt coil. Have replaced with Mallory electronic distributor, still using the 9 volt coil. Mallory says to use their 12v coil.( with ballist resistor)

Pro and cons of making the switch. Would their be any issues, with the
old behind dash wires, alarm module, gages etc?

TMCNo1
08-31-2007, 02:46 PM
I went from stock points ignition to the electronic conversion kit and it was recommended that the stock 8V coil be replaced with the 12V coil (item 1230, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1137) because you bypass the ballist resister. It did not create any problems, because only the distrubutor and coil became 12V like everything else in the boat.

87MCProstar
05-21-2008, 09:41 PM
TMC, so since I bought the 1230 from skidim, I don't need to use the resistor anymore?? Where do I connect the wires that were attached to the resistor? I have a Prestolite distributor with the elec. converstion. Thanks

TMCNo1
05-21-2008, 10:04 PM
TMC, so since I bought the 1230 from skidim, I don't need to use the resistor anymore?? Where do I connect the wires that were attached to the resistor? I have a Prestolite distributor with the elec. converstion. Thanks

You have a purple wire from the ignition switch that attaches to one end of the ballast resistor, then a purple wire comes off the other end of the ballast resistor and goes to the coil + post. Take the purple wire that goes to the coil from the ballast resistor and remove it from the ballast resistor and place it on the other end of the ballast resistor where the purple wire attaches from the ignition switch. You have then bypassed it! That's the way my mechanic did it 5 years ago and all is fine.
Basically, what ever wire from the coil + to the ballast resistor needs to be moved to the other end of the ballast resistor, in case the wires are of a different color for some reason.

87MCProstar
05-21-2008, 10:15 PM
perfect thanks.