PDA

View Full Version : Long shot but maybe someone will know

rodltg2
08-31-2007, 11:46 AM
i have not been to my houseboat much this summer since i've been busy with other things. anyway, we are going this weekend and i would like to give it a tune up. however i have no idea what motor this thing has and im about and 1 1/2 hour away. i would like to take the plugs, points ,cap, oil with me . anyone know what it may be. its an 82 gibson cyacht. i know its a v8 OMC. if i grab the wrong stuff , no big deal i can return it. but if i grab the irght stuff it will save me some time this weekend and i can be off on the water sooner. thanks

east tx skier
08-31-2007, 11:58 AM
OMC would be the outdrive and they are no longer made. I'm no help here. My old I/O had a Ford 5.0 and an OMC. So it could be a ford. But just depends what they decided to use that day really.

rodltg2
08-31-2007, 12:02 PM
i found this ad for one for sale and it says it has a v6 volvo penta. so i could be wrong. honeslty i never really looked at the motor. i just turned they key on go:D .

http://www.usedboats.com/index.php?site=usedboats.com&section=search&boatId=494162&photo_index=2&maximize=701502&historyback=8

H20BOY
08-31-2007, 01:21 PM
We had an 86 Gibson and it had the V6 Volvo. Dont know if that helps.

bigmac
08-31-2007, 05:32 PM
OMC is not just the drive mfgr, they're the marinization company...so they made the drive and marinized the engine that goes with it (assuming it's the original engine). If you have an OMC outdrive, it's highly likely they made the engine too. Like all of those mfgrs, they may have had more than one engine that went with that drive.

Obviously there's no way anyone can know what engine you have, especially without even knowing what drive model it is. V8's of that pre-Cobra vintage could have been a 4.3 liter, 5 liter, or 5.7 liter - all likely GM blocks.

88 PS190
08-31-2007, 06:45 PM
Right our Chris Craft has an OMC cobra, with a 5.0 Ford engine, actually shares alot of components with the MC, same filter, plugs, etc.

Even the same impeller in the raw water.

It would be helpful if you could determine which engine you have so as to get all the correct parts first shot, but if you are fairly certain you have a 6'er maybe just get the parts for all the V6 options and return the others.

H20skeefreek
09-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Lol, this really makes me laugh, b/c these are the questions I get EVERYDAY selling boat parts. Rod, there is absolutely no way to know what you've got. You could contact Gibson, if they are still in business, and THEY wouldn't be able to tell you just by telling them what model of boat you have.

In that era OMC and Volvo Penta did a lot of work together too, so you could have an OMC outdrive with a Volvo Penta motor, with it being a VP, it could be a Volvo, Ford or Chevy motor, they marinized them all.

If it is a V8, it is most likey a Chevy 305/350 but it could be a Ford 302/351.

Oh, and Bigmac, the 4.3L is a v6.

TMCNo1
09-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Lol, this really makes me laugh, b/c these are the questions I get EVERYDAY selling boat parts. Rod, there is absolutely no way to know what you've got. You could contact Gibson, if they are still in business, and THEY wouldn't be able to tell you just by telling them what model of boat you have.

In that era OMC and Volvo Penta did a lot of work together too, so you could have an OMC outdrive with a Volvo Penta motor, with it being a VP, it could be a Volvo, Ford or Chevy motor, they marinized them all. If it is a V8, it is most likey a Chevy 305/350 but it could be a Ford 302/351.

Oh, and Bigmac, the 4.3L is a v6.

Man, did you hit the nail on the head! BTW, I got a airplane, what kind of toilet seat does it have in it?

H20skeefreek
09-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Every day I get "hey beau, I gotta '82 Capri, what spark plugs do I need?"

"Well sir, what engine do you have?" I say.

The repsonse: "B.A.Y.L.I.N.E.R C.A.P.R.I, IT'S B.L.U.E! WHAT KINDA MORAN ARE YOU!!! Get a Brain MORAN!"

TMCNo1
09-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Every day I get "hey beau, I gotta '82 Capri, what spark plugs do I need?"

"Well sir, what engine do you have?" I say.

The repsonse: "B.A.Y.L.I.N.E.R C.A.P.R.I, IT'S B.L.U.E! WHAT KINDA MORAN ARE YOU!!! Get a Brain MORAN!"
:uglyhamme :firejump: :toast:

Footin
09-01-2007, 08:14 AM
It's got a PCM Engine.........oh wait thats his ski boat.

Bruce
09-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Oh, you were in the Marine Corps. Did you know so and so? He was a Marine also.

bigmac
09-01-2007, 02:27 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Oh, and Bigmac, the 4.3L is a v6.

Of course it is! :o