PDA

View Full Version : Newb here, just put deposit on '05 X-Star

swchopper
08-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Long story.... but in short. I sold a Centurion Avalanche last weekend. I loved that boat and am a big Centurion fan. Didn't plan on buying a boat for a while as its the end of the season. But told myself I would be ready if the right deal came along. It did (I think and hope!)

I just put a deposit on a red '05 X-Star in Phoenix. I think I got a great deal. Will test it and pick it up Saturday. (I live 7 hours away in Northwest New Mexico.)

I am pumped as I've never even ridden in an X-Star. Don't even know what to expect. Cant wait to see it and ride it:D

Any advice or Phoenicians advice on where to go Saturday?

east tx skier
08-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Congrats! And welcome!

ride
08-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Nice. Is the '05 a pickle fork bow, or was that '06?

fintek9
08-30-2007, 07:38 PM
I did the same with my x-star, Bought sight un seen. been in only one older MC in my life, I two did not know what to expect. First time out pulling away from the launch, Heaven I tell ya, heaven it was!
You know I STILL get the same smile every time I walk to the boat to take it out :D
Enjoy and welcome to TT.

Maristar210
08-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Nice. Is the '05 a pickle fork bow, or was that '06?

06 went pickle

endl
08-30-2007, 11:47 PM
04 was first year for new superfly bow "pickle fork".

Congrats swchopper you just bought the Mac Daddy wakeboard boat.
You will be pleased.....05 is a good year newer board racks swivel.

ride
08-30-2007, 11:50 PM
06 went pickle
I'm still a bit partial to the old style, but the pickle fork is growing on me....;)

WESSTAR
08-30-2007, 11:58 PM
The Pickle rocks.. You are going to love the Star. We sold our 2002 Cen. Hurricane last year and bought an 06 star. I have never rode behind an Avi but the difference in the wake between our Cen and star was huge. The Cen had a short ramp, the star has really long ramps.

swchopper
08-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the warm welcomes:D You have gotten me very excited. 2 days! I can't wait to feel 450 HP. I am a mile high in altitude, so the horsepower will be much appreciated.
Fintek 9: thats great too hear. I am much like you. Only ridden in an OLD prostar 190 before!
Wesstar: Thats also great to hear. I have been worried about losing "rough water" ride, but it will probably be worth it. I don't plan on being on too much rough water, except Lake Powell 1-2 x/year.

endl
08-31-2007, 12:10 AM
You wont loose any ride.....that boat takes waves well.........HS you found one with the 8.1.......nice buy!

Pics.......Pics......when you get.

WESSTAR
08-31-2007, 12:22 AM
It is the smoothest riding boat I have ever driven. No worries about rough water. You hardly even feel the double ups

swatguy
08-31-2007, 12:26 AM
Congrats,

That's the way it's done. when you come across a deal jump on it. ALso 04 started first pickle X-Star. The 4's drove like pigs but that was fixed in 05.

I know a ton about the Centurion line. So here are a couple things to expect when switching that will def be very different than the Avy. What yr did you have? Would help to give you some more exact feedback as well as was it the Walkthrough version or C4 version.

First and formost you are going to notice that the wakes are very differently shaped. Believe it or not I love the Centurion wakes . They are top notch. Nice and steep and meaty. Very predictable. The dowside to them though is that they aren't very beginner friendly and they are very sensitive with weight side to side to keep the wake clean. The X-star wake is going to have a little more ramp to it and not have thap bucking feeling at the top like the Avy did. I would say they are my number 2 favorite wake just behind my X-Star's (205V hull version not pickle fork) Still gonna kick you, but that Avy wake has a nice, steep kick and the end. All personal preference not saying one is better than the other just a very different feeling when you hit the MC wake vs the Avy's.

The X-Star doesn't nearly have the deep V that the Avy has so it is also gonna take much more weight to sink it compared to your Avy. Not sure what kind of weight setup you were running in your Avy, but I do know that most of the Avy's I spent time in usually run close to stock 3 tanks and one sac in the nose and its steep and peaky. The Centurions stock wakes are some of the meatiest in the market. You will probably end up running close to double the weight in the X-star compared to your Centurion. What you will notice though is that the X-Star's wake will not be so weight sensitive side to side meaning one person in the wrong place won't cause it to curl as much as it did with the Avy. You will also be able to ride at a slower speed in the X-star than the Avy and still have a clean wake whereas the Avy tends to curl at slower speeds.

Surf wake hands down goes to the Centurion. Wolrd renoound. Still a very decent one out of the Xstar. Gonna have even more storage in the X-Star as well.....Hard to beat the Avy's I know, but it does.

Fit and finish of the X-Star as well as all the racks and tower stuff is gonna beat the Centruion for sure. The vinyl is also gonna be much more plush in the MC. The dash is going to be the first thing that jumps out at you for sure. No more of that plastic one tha tthe Avy had for the past 6yrs that never fit flush. Throttle position is alo a little more comfortable on the MC. Should also be a drive by wire if I recall so the throttle response will be much more precise. Gonna notice alot more cockpit space in the X-Star and a nice line to the bow. That coooler in the Avy was useless in my eyes, but I do understand why it is there. More of a structural thing than a useful thing and it def works in the structural dept. Just always slam my head on the bimini when I step on that cooler, and they don't hold very much. You will prety much notice what makes an MC an MC as soon as you sit inside and go through the boat. Also when you fire it up and strap on the board. So enjoy and good luck. Hear its been over 110 Degrees
there for over 29days straight so bring some water and make sure the air in your truck is workin :)

SDAhockey21
08-31-2007, 12:33 AM
You guys really need to check up on your MC facts..lol 03' was the first year for the superfly bow in the X-Star

Heres Proof
http://www.wakeworld.com/Galleries/Gallery.asp?GalleryID=114

SDAhockey21
08-31-2007, 12:35 AM
Oh ya, almost forgot, Congrats on the boat! X-Star Rocks

SDAhockey21
08-31-2007, 12:39 AM
Congrats on the BTW, I got sidetracked:uglyhamme

swatguy
08-31-2007, 12:48 AM
Came out in Late 03' as MC releases new boats early compared to others. WAs alot of hype and unknowns about this boat at the time. Same with X2. The MC Marketing mayham back then. That was a demo/prototype boat for them. Wasn't available to public yet. Will alomost bet my X-Star on it that the pickles that were first available to the public to buy are stamped with an 04 hull number. My buddy also owns an 03(205 V hull) well it isn't called the X-star its called the X-series as the X-star name was in "limbo" till they decided to release that pickle fork version and swap the name

So i guess you could say 03, but does that count if the public can't get their hands on one? Then every other model would have a different debue do the the R and D stage. So I would say it's only fair to say that when the public can get one then it's officially debued/intorduced.

swatguy
08-31-2007, 12:59 AM
so read the entire article. So I stand corrected. Never knew. Have never came across an 03 either. Not that I would want one that was rushed off the line. So apparently there are some 03 hull numbers floating out there. Had to be on the super secret nobody knows when its coming list. Oh well good thing I caught myself before I bet my X-star with somene HAHAHAHAHAH
Had to be only a select few dealers who could get them.

Nice spot SDA Always thought the only 03's were promo/demo boats

swchopper
08-31-2007, 06:50 PM
swatguy! AWESOME info. THanks a ton. I am very excited, but quite frankly, you are confirming a few of my fears. I want to surf, so I hate to lose anything there. Also, at 20k more for this x star, Im really wondering. Your info was invaluable. I am leaving in 10 minutes to drive 7 hours to check out boat. If its not EVERYTHING I want it to be, I will pass. But I have a feeling, I will fall in Love. Im not a pro-boarder or anything anyways. Only done it 1 year.
Opinions: '05 X-star, loaded, 98 hours, 450 hp motor.
Thoughts on that deal????

TMCNo1
08-31-2007, 07:47 PM
Congratulations on the purchase and remember,

Roonie's
08-31-2007, 07:52 PM
Yep 03 was pickle fork for X-star and 06 was the first year for X2 pickle fork. The pickle fork rocks as stated earlier. I hated it at first glance but now wouldn't buy anything without it. Welcome to the MC family.

A good history of the boats can be found here.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15198

PendO
08-31-2007, 08:07 PM
Congrats on the new boat ...

skeeler
08-31-2007, 08:59 PM
It is the smoothest riding boat I have ever driven. No worries about rough water. You hardly even feel the double ups
Congrats on the new boat, and welcome to the club.....we got jackets!
WESSTAR
Not to thread jack, but I noticed your boat, and thought you would appreciate our tow boat. :D

swatguy
08-31-2007, 10:16 PM
hope it goes well. Check your pm message box

swchopper
09-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks on all your input!!! Will post pics in new threadwhen/if (have to make sure its what they say it is) I get it.

Skeeler: SICK RIDE! Where can I get some large decals like that. Not necessarily the same ones, but you know???

SWATGUY: PM sent. THanks a ton!

bigmac
09-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Any advice or Phoenicians advice on where to go Saturday?

Nice choice of boat. I hope that all goes great for you.

If you're 5 hours from your dealer, I think it's smart to try to shake the boat down locally before heading home. I'd suggest Saguaro Lake or maybe Canyon Lake. They do get crowded, it appeared to me when I was out there a couple of weeks ago, so I'd try to get there as early as you can. Canyon Lake is on a pretty twisty road...fun on a Harley but not so sure pulling an X-Star.

swchopper
09-01-2007, 09:54 AM
taking it to lake pleasant to try it out. In about 2 hours!