PDA

View Full Version : Broken Winch Strap

Tourney Team 197
08-30-2007, 12:47 PM
For all you Dane Cook fans out there, I'm going to "Quentin Tarentino" this story and tell you that I broke my winch strap right from the beginning and now I'll explain how it happened...

So, I took the boat out of the water for the season last weekend. The water level is extremely low; so low that 2 inches of the trailer tires were above the surface. After pushing the boat through the knee-deep water I finally got it to the trailer. Keep in mind that I had the trailer backed up as far as I could well beyond the concrete slabs. I doused the trailer bunks with as much water as I could and then extended my winch strap using a chain. The boat moved along pretty nicely with me pushing it from behind. I finally got it to where I didnít need to use the chain. My neighbor who I brought along to help failed to mention to me at this point that a portion of the strap had folded over due to an unaligned winch. With about 6" to the boat buddy, the strap broke. My question is...Should I replace my entire winch, or just the strap? I would feel more comfortable with a new winch, but don't want to spend the extra $$$ if I donít have to.

BrianM
08-30-2007, 12:51 PM
No need to replace the winch. Just buy a new strap. Loosen the bolts on the winch then align it and tighten the bolts back up.

tex
08-30-2007, 12:54 PM
The boat is toast! Buy an X-80! It's the only way to get over this experience! Just my opinion and I'm sure Erk will back it up if you buy the boat from him!

TMCNo1
08-30-2007, 01:16 PM
The winch and the strap are designed for a specific maximum load. Apparently during your exercise to load the boat, the capacity of the strap was exceeded and the strap failed and not the winch. Yes, replace the winch if it is broken or damaged in some way if it damaged or broke the strap, otherwise just replace the strap.

Tourney Team 197
08-30-2007, 01:18 PM
The boat is toast! Buy an X-80! It's the only way to get over this experience! Just my opinion and I'm sure Erk will back it up if you buy the boat from him!

What's the slalom wake like at 36 MPH behind one of these babies!?

east tx skier
08-30-2007, 01:42 PM
A little smaller than this one I suspect.

JimN
08-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Your profile says 'engineer'. You have taken physics and it should be a lot fresher than it is for me. :D

Submerge the tires, any way you can. If it means carrying a small compressor or air tank and deflating the tires to load, it'll be better than trying to do it this way.

Tourney Team 197
08-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Your profile says 'engineer'. You have taken physics and it should be a lot fresher than it is for me. :D

Submerge the tires, any way you can. If it means carrying a small compressor or air tank and deflating the tires to load, it'll be better than trying to do it this way.

Yes, much better! I will remember to do that next time.

uawaterskier
08-30-2007, 05:48 PM
my winch strap broke right by the hook on my boat. I took the strap off and had it cut and sown (sp?) back together

tex
08-30-2007, 07:44 PM
In college I used to trade in winches all the time. Just remember to always upgrade!

Sodar
08-30-2007, 07:46 PM
In college I used to trade in winches all the time. Just remember to always upgrade!

Thats wenches, not winches, Tex!!

tex
08-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Thats wenches, not winches, Tex!!

Yeah. 220... 221, whatever it takes.

JimN
08-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Tourney- did any of the professors write SIB KISS on the chalkboard and tell you to figure out what it means? I'm dealing with a company that didn't do that with their products and since you're an engineer, I thought you might recognize it. What field?

Tourney Team 197
08-31-2007, 11:03 AM
Tourney- did any of the professors write SIB KISS on the chalkboard and tell you to figure out what it means? I'm dealing with a company that didn't do that with their products and since you're an engineer, I thought you might recognize it. What field?

KISS - Keep it simple stupid or sam for the politically correct. No idea what SIB stands for. :o Fill me in! I'm in the manufacturing sector specializing in refrigeration.

JimN
08-31-2007, 11:14 AM
See It Big, Keep It Simple Stupid.

I don't think we need to worry about being politically correct by using 'stupid'. Anyone who's that thin-skinned should stay away from this forum.

Timbo126
08-31-2007, 01:32 PM
How did your winch handle not strip that what happens to me when i try and crank the boat further up the trailer. Ive gone through one winch handle already.

Datdude
08-31-2007, 03:09 PM
I broke the strap on my 1995 PS 190 last Summer and replaced the strap. Then this Summer I broke teeth off of the winch tring to get the boat the final few inches that I could not get with powerloading. I looked at the winch and it was only a 1300lb winch. I ordered a 2500lb winch, but it would not fit the mounting holes on the trailer bracket. I then bought another 1300lb winch and new strap. There was a topic on here about this before, and how it seems 1300lbs in undersized. Still haven't figured that out:confused:

pilot02
08-31-2007, 03:47 PM
See It Big, Keep It Simple Stupid.

I don't think we need to worry about being politically correct by using 'stupid'. Anyone who's that thin-skinned should stay away from this forum.

And I thought the first part meant.... Stupid ignorant bastages