PDA

View Full Version : 98 PS 205 general info

TNH2oSkier
08-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Can anyone comment on a 98 ps 205 vs the newer years? I have found a very nice condition 98, and would like some feedback from current 98 owners if possible, especially if they have had the chance to compare to the 99 or 00' models.

One of the issues is my wife wants ski storage that isnt beside the engine on the floor. What do you do with your skis? Btw a tower is out of the question.

How is the wake? I read this is the last year of the 2600lb 205's so I figured this has to have a pretty good slalom wake.

Thanks, any info is greatly apriciated.

east tx skier
08-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Here is a link (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=112635&postcount=21) to the history of the changes by year for the Pro Star 205.

My father-in-law has a 98 and it is a very good boat. The slalom wake isn't quite as good as the first generation 205 IMO, but it's not bad at all. The rough water ride is better and interior space greater. Plus 98 was the first year that the TBI engine got a hp bump to 308 hp. Great low end on that engine.

You can store skis under the observer seat as it is open to the under bow seat storage in the front. You can also get a slalom ski into each one of the side storage compartments behind the combing pads.

beef
08-30-2007, 12:53 PM
I love mine. The slalom wake is very good > 30 mph. For beginners below 30, it gets pretty big. (but that makes for a pretty decent wakeboard x-over, too) There is a sizeable bump at 22 off, but I find the slalom wake to be a bit softer than that of the newer boats.

Tracking is very good, too - I tuned the rudder a bit to make it less neutral for course drirving. I think it tracks as well, or better, than some of the newer models I've driven. Spray hasn't been an issue for with this boat, up to 35 off. (it not be a problem even at shorter lengths, but I just don't know yet :) )

308 tbi has plenty of hole shot, and mine's still running fine with very little maint. One thing to check is if the circulating water pump has been replaced - I think this year's model had a tendency to need it after a few seasons.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

TNH2oSkier
08-31-2007, 09:24 PM
Going to go inspect, drive and ski this boat tomarow, and if it meets all my criteria I'll be an MC owner again! If not then its back to the search.