PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Suggestions Requested

shepherd
08-30-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm going to Seattle for business in mid-September. My wife is going to join me for the weekend prior (Fri-Mon). We've never been.

Can anybody suggest a decent place to stay in the area for a long weekend for less than $200 (or $250) per night? I'm thinking downtown would be best. Restaurant suggestions? Places to visit and must-sees? I know I have to visit Wiley's and the Boeing museum.

Thanks.

Maristar210
08-30-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm going to Seattle for business in mid-September. My wife is going to join me for the weekend prior (Fri-Mon). We've never been.

Can anybody suggest a decent place to stay in the area for a long weekend for less than $200 (or $250) per night? I'm thinking downtown would be best. Restaurant suggestions? Places to visit and must-sees? I know I have to visit Wiley's and the Boeing museum.

Thanks.

Where is that damn Pendo when you need him?

Roonie's
08-30-2007, 11:47 AM
I lived in the city of Seattle for 12 years and just moved this last Jan. Wiley's is a small ski shop in a crappy part (or better said up and coming) part of town. I used to get all of my stuff there but it isn't necessarily worth a visit. I would recommend other things like the EMP (experience Music Project) or the weird blob below the space needle. Also there is Pike Place market a must see. I used to get our weekly vegetables there and seafood. If your wife is into shopping the downtown area has everything she will ever need. Also you must stroll the waterfront and see what it has to offer there. I would also recommend a ferry ride to Bainbridge island to see the city from the water and Bainbridge is cool.

There are some other things to see like Gas Works park, or the locks in Ballard where you can see the salmon swimming through. Then there is the east side (Bellevue/Kirkland) on the other side of Lake Washington where there is more shopping and a different flavor. If your into the zoo it is very nice or the aquarium downtown waterfront. Safeco stadium may have a game playing which I would recommend seeing as it is one of the nicest fan friendly stadiums I have seen.

Not sure on cost of hotels and many many places to eat all are good, just depends on what flavor you want.

shepherd
08-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Hmmm, my ski buddy travels up there a bit and he said Wiley's has a great selection of equipment. I hear it's close to the airport so maybe I'll only visit if I have some free time before my flight out.

I'm going to hotels.com to check on hotels. I want something downtown with a view, but not a bank-breaker.

M-Funf
08-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Sewer Tour...:rolleyes:

east tx skier
08-30-2007, 12:05 PM
I lived in the city of Seattle for 12 years and just moved this last Jan. Wiley's is a small ski shop in a crappy part (or better said up and coming) part of town. I used to get all of my stuff there but it isn't necessarily worth a visit. I would recommend other things like the EMP (experience Music Project) or the weird blob below the space needle. Also there is Pike Place market a must see. I used to get our weekly vegetables there and seafood. If your wife is into shopping the downtown area has everything she will ever need. Also you must stroll the waterfront and see what it has to offer there. I would also recommend a ferry ride to Bainbridge island to see the city from the water and Bainbridge is cool.

There are some other things to see like Gas Works park, or the locks in Ballard where you can see the salmon swimming through. Then there is the east side (Bellevue/Kirkland) on the other side of Lake Washington where there is more shopping and a different flavor. If your into the zoo it is very nice or the aquarium downtown waterfront. Safeco stadium may have a game playing which I would recommend seeing as it is one of the nicest fan friendly stadiums I have seen.

Not sure on cost of hotels and many many places to eat all are good, just depends on what flavor you want.

Definitely hit the EMP. We went on opening weekend and it was very cool. There is an historic hotel a few blocks from the Four Seasons that was pretty reasonable at the time. Head to Pike's Place and have a great time and great seafood. Great town!

bobbyB
08-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Hmmm, my ski buddy travels up there a bit and he said Wiley's has a great selection of equipment. I hear it's close to the airport so maybe I'll only visit if I have some free time before my flight out.

I'm going to hotels.com to check on hotels. I want something downtown with a view, but not a bank-breaker.

Hey Shep

I tried to find something downtown a couple of years ago and couldn't find anything decent for under $200 a night. Anything with a view it probably going to be more than that. Do you have a vehicle? If so and you're willing to give up on the view, there are at least 2 Embesy Suites with in 1/2 hr of Seattle. One of them is down near Seatac Airport, which is about 20 mins south of downtown. If you decide to give up on the money limit, go to the Edgewater. Spendy, but the coolest thing around. It's on a pier right in downtown.

As far as stuff to see and do?

Things I [U]wouldn't[U] go see again- 1)Wileys ski shop is just that. My guess is that it's probably not as large/extensive as people envision. If your looking for something specific, stop by, otherwise I'd skip. 2)EMP- unless your really into music and making it, I'd skip.

Things I'd see once- 1)Pike Pl Market, but go on the weekend when you can get the true flavor of all the people/venders. 2)Gas works park- Good place to veg or people watch. 3)Ballard Locks- Worth watching the boat come thru and is interesting to see the salmon going up the fish ladder from the viewing window. 4) Seattle Aqurium- Interesting once.

Things I'd see again- 1)Museum of Flight- Way cool! 2)Space Needle- Great view of Seattle and surronding area. Bring your camera! 3)Safeco Field- I agree with an earlier statement about it being the most fan friendly stadium. I'm a Mariner fan so maybe I'm biased on this one. 4)Take a ferry- just walk on and enjoy the ride/views.

The "if you can afford it, do it b/c it's worth it" thing- Argosy dinner cruise. Did this a couple of years ago with my wife. Sailed from the Seattle water front at 6pm and we were out for 3 hrs. Top notch meal, sunset, Seattle skyline in the light and at night, mountain views, extra currilular activities later on......;) It's the kind of thing you do to relax and say to yourself "The views, the food, the romance....life doesn't get much better than this!" Did I elude to something...my bad, that was an inside thought:D

If you need help finding these places PM me and I'll get you lined out.

B

Roonie's
08-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Yes museum of flight..... forgot about that one. That is my kids favorite place to go. If you really want to go to Wiley's it is very close to the Boeing Musuem of Flight......FYI.

Argosy cruise is a good suggestion too as they usually cruise Lake Washington and show you the famous persons homes like Bill Gates, Craig McCaw, etc. At least it gets you on the water and Lake Washington is a huge lake!!

PendO
08-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Where is that damn Pendo when you need him?

Pendo is doing payroll right now ...

Okay, as far as places to go - Pike Place Market you can spend some time walking around down there http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=true (this is where I enjoy going)

Also, try Pioneer Squre http://www.pioneersquare.org/

We went to the zoo last year with the kids, if you are into that sort of stuff http://www.zoo.org/

I'd check out the Space Needle (and have dinner there - medium dress code) http://www.spaceneedle.com/

I enjoy the huge REI store over there, and there is also a cool North Face store (and an S-load of other places to spend your hard earned money)

Okay, I'm gonna cheat, here is another good website with all sorts of info on stuff to do in seattle http://www.seattleattractions.com/

fintek9
08-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Don't forget your "flannel":D

prostar205
08-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Shep -

All of the places people are suggesting are great. I have lived in Seattle all of my life and absolutely love it.

Additional areas to check out.

1) Duck tour of Lake Washinton or an Argessey (spelling ??) cruise. It will go by Bill Gates' home. Although you can't see much with the HUGE trees in the yard.

2) Underground Tour in downtown Seattle

3) Blake Island

4) Edmonds - waterfront community just north of Seattle about 15 miles. Great restaurants, small town movie theater.

5) On Sept. 15th, the University of Washington Husky football team plays Ohio St. at Husky Stadium. That is always a blast, if you get into college football.

If I think of any more ideas, I'll let you know.

shepherd
08-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Ha! Go Huskies! (Michigan fan here)

This town of Edmonds - any decent places to stay there? I'm not wedded to the idea of staying in downtown Seattle. Any nice waterfront-type lodges or inns in the greater Seattle/Bremerton areas?

Thanks for the suggestions!

dapicatti
08-31-2007, 01:46 AM
Check out travelocity or orbitz....we usually can get a downtown hotel about 189 per night through them. We love the Westin Downtown...perfect place to stay downtown. Mid september shouldn't be as crazy as summer prices..Otherwise the Bellevue Westin always has great rates on weekends- right across from Bellevue Square-wife will love the shopping experience- and 20 minutes from downtown Seattle. PM me if you need more ideas.

dapicatti
08-31-2007, 01:48 AM
Don't forget your "flannel":D
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Haven't seen any actual "flannel" since Kurt Cobain died.

shepherd
09-04-2007, 10:07 AM
I think we'll be spending the weekend downtown, maybe at the Westin Downtown. I guess parking would be a problem/expensive. Should we get a car or not? Do they have a decent public transportation system that will get us to all the main Seattle attractions or is most everything in walking distance?

I'll be in Bremerton during the week (for business) so I'll be picking up a car on Monday if we don't have one during the weekend.

M-Funf
09-04-2007, 12:19 PM
The city is fairly easy to get around in.

There's a bus that goes from the airport to all the major hotels downtown. It was inexpensive and very worth it.

I was up there in the Spring, and I did not get a car. Got around just fine without one.

dapicatti
09-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Sorry-
Land of the car obsessed not used to using public transit- Seattle-
I never have used public transit- always had my own car. I think if you want to do any extended sight seeing it would be worth it You can run around downtown all you want on foot, but if you want to see Rainier clearly or go to Bainbridge island you may want a car.

T-Rager
09-05-2007, 12:07 AM
My office is located in the Bell Town section of Seattle, about three blocks north of the Westin. There are many night spots in Bell Town that you might enjoy. There is a vibrant music scene in town as well as many quality theatre productions. The Seattle Art Museum is about 7 blocks from the Weston and is worth a look.

I alway like to take my guests on the Boeing 747/767/777 assembly plant tour in Everett and to the Ballard Locks.

The Seattle Duck Tour vehicles pass by my office at least hourly and everyone on board seems to be having a great time. The tour departs from the space needle.

Others have already given some great suggestions; the hotel's concierge will also be a great resource.

shepherd
09-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. We stayed at the Westin. Great view, but pricey. Parking alone was $32/day $$$$$$ :mad:

Here's the view from our room - 29th floor:

shepherd
09-21-2007, 11:40 AM
We took a seaplane tour. After that, we decided to skip the Space Needle since we already saw the city from the air and from our hotel. We went to the canal/fish ladder, the Seattle Repertory theater (we don't have good theaters at home), walked to Pike Place market several times - mostly for breakfast and lunch. Very cool place - better than I expected.

We drove out to Columbia Winery and Red Hook Brewery. The brewery was a waste of time - basically just a big brew pub out in the middle of nowhere - but we skipped the brewery tour.
My favorite place for drinks was the Taphouse Grill downtown. 160 beers on tap! :toast: And good food too.

pq2
09-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Shep, I went ther two weeks ago, you can visit HO factory in Redmont here is the adress:

HO MFG
17622 NE 67th Court
Redmond, WA 98052
USA

dapicatti
09-22-2007, 06:57 AM
Glad you had fun. Parking is expensive at the Westin, but its worth it to be right in the middle of everything.

123src
02-13-2008, 09:38 PM
I lived in the city of Seattle for 12 years and just moved this last Jan. Wiley's is a small ski shop in a crappy part (or better said up and coming) part of town. I used to get all of my stuff there but it isn't necessarily worth a visit.

I made my first visit to Wiley's today and I could not disagree more. That place was great! The history of wodden ski's on the wall and ceiling alone were well worth the visit. The staff was amazing. I was walked through the back to see how the bindings are made, they found an old HO sticker (with the ski in it) for me that I have been looking for since I bought my truck in early '05, and we spent a good hour talking about skiing. They also found a recreational ski for me in last years model, and offered to ship it home for me. I would also like to disagree with the "small" tag. They have quite a selection compared to most ski shops I have been in lately. I will admit the wakeboard section was smaller than the Ski section, but that suits me just fine:D I would suggest a visit to any of my ski loving buddies.

shepherd
02-13-2008, 10:14 PM
I visited Wiley's while I was there. Cool place. I didn't need any ski gear at the time but I got a cool Wileys hooded sweatshirt that I wear all the time on the cooler skiing days.

russlars
02-13-2008, 10:47 PM
I would agree with you about Wiley's. I have bought a lot of stuff there. It may not be pretty, but it is a fun place to visit, they are knowledgeable and have pretty competitive prices.
And I just love that smell of new neoprene!

dapicatti
02-13-2008, 10:56 PM
I love Wileys- great people, great stuff and they won't sell you what you don't need. They actually sent us away once after we purchased enough gear for all of our family, and went back in for one more thing. We always stop there before the season starts, just to kick off the new boating season.

TI Skiier
02-13-2008, 11:59 PM
One other thing to hit in Seattle - if the weather is good. Cruise Alki Beach! it's the best - sweeping views of the downtown, great little restauraunts & bars.

Wiley's is a great experience. If you are looking for corporate owned sterile stores - don't go there. But if you are looking for the soul of skiing, it's a must. These guys grew up learning how to build skis with Herb O'Brien and Pat Connelly in Seattle. The legacy of their products is mounted on the ceiling. You can find almost anything there. And, if you are lucky on a Friday, they might even have some beers in a bucket for the customers. And yes, someone in the shop has skiied or ridden virtually everything they sell.