PDA

View Full Version : More ballast for 07 X2 surf wake setup?

Roonie's
08-30-2007, 10:32 AM
I am going to be adding more ballast for a better surf wake on my 07 X2. Anyone have any success with this that they would like to share. I want it to hook into my current ballast system so it can be hands free and easy. My local MC dealer sells a package of two 400# (each) bags that go in the rear compartments and plumbs into current ballast system. Is this enough or do I need more and where. My current surf wake with the X2 is a little weak with factory ballast and I have yet to let go of the rope as I can't stay with the wave. I am thinking it is because of not enough ballast.

Stock ballast is 750# total. Any help much appreciated and thanks in advance.

06' X-2 R8R H8R
08-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Let me know when you find out....

Roonie's
08-30-2007, 10:59 AM
I should also state that I ride port.

ttu
08-30-2007, 11:14 AM
roonie, have you considered pop-products. they are great. i have
10-40lb bags. they are made of steel shot.

one of the things i really like about them, is i can move them as needed. ie: wakeboarding i run 3 on each side in the rear and 4 in the front bow. surfing, i simply put all them on the side i want to surf one.

sand2snow22
08-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Roonie, you need more weight, but also try slowing down. We finally figured out this year that 8-10 MPH is a better speed for port side surfing. I have 400 lbs of pop-products, we should get together next year!! Also, I have found board does matter. Awesome board for everyone that won't break the bank=Inland Surfer Blue Lake.......

Roonie's
08-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Yeah the inland surfer blue lake is sold out this year. I have already tried to find one. I currently ride the HP Broadcast.

Fitz2333
08-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Roonie, you should be able to free ride at 9.2 to 9.6 mph - albeit very close to the swim deck - behind the X-2 with stock ballast - I have the '08 and fill all of the tanks and put any passengers on the port side. We have ridden the Inland Surfer Blue Lake, Red Tide and Connelly Ride very successfully - and we're not very good!

That being said, I just ordered the FatSac ballast solution ...

http://www.fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSacs.html#x2

ttu
08-30-2007, 11:58 AM
that is part of your problem. that is a really hard board to ride.

i also have a blue lake along with a yellow loogey. both are great boards.

there is currently one over on ebay for sale.

Roonie's
08-30-2007, 12:01 PM
I ride currently at 10 with port and KGB filled full and anyone else on port rear side. The wake feels ok. I have tried with everything full and the wake gets to white and no ramp. Here is a pic of me riding port with stock ballast port and KGB filled and two passengers on port rear. Best pic I have even though it doesn't show the wake fully.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0262.jpg

found another pic.......

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0116.jpg

endl
08-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Roonie look at:
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=18829

Boofer and some of these guys experimented with different setups than the X-2 setup Fat-Sac offers.

On the X-2 looks like you need to deceide whether to pull your orginal tanks, or do both and then you get into 3 way valves for filling different ways. Also you can add seperate pumps and fill different ways.

djhuff
08-30-2007, 12:07 PM
I have 350# bags on each side, plumbed into the factory ballast, and 360# of lead in the bow. I can flip a switch and fill one side and the KGB, and we are good to go. Surfed one night with 3 people total in the boat and the wave was plenty to ride and do whatever tricks you wanted.

The key is proportionate weight up front, you cant put 8 ppl in the boat and have them all sitting on one side with no one in the bow, it just won't work.

surfacetension
08-30-2007, 12:33 PM
We were out last Sunday and this was our first time on the boat , surfed at 8 to 9 mph with 3 people in the boat and switched sides with no problem the wake on the port side is a bit cleaner, but you have to be close to the boat. I see X2 fat sacs but hate to give up the storage, I wonder if the theory of front wieght will work with the stock ballast system? Or does the wake plate a better idea?

ttu
08-30-2007, 12:36 PM
We were out last Sunday and this was our first time on the boat , surfed at 8 to 9 mph with 3 people in the boat and switched sides with no problem the wake on the port side is a bit cleaner, but you have to be close to the boat. I see X2 fat sacs but hate to give up the storage, I wonder if the theory of front wieght will work with the stock ballast system? Or does the wake plate a better idea?

i agree with you on this. i don't want to loose anymore storage. that was one thing i hated on my supra was when you filled the bags you lost all the storage in the rear locker. that is one of the reason i think that the pop-products are so great...

RK@UST
08-30-2007, 02:24 PM
I have a X30 with factory ballasts.
We dont use them to surf.
4 people in the boat all on one side, whichever side the rider is on, 10.5 miles per hour and a slight continual turn in to the side the rider is on makes a fantastic wake.

We also put a guy on the back so he can save the rider by throwing him the rope if he is about to get out of the sweet spot.

surfacetension
08-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Yes thats what I do also is turn ever so slightly I discovered that a few weeks ago at Lake george,NY with my supra, I just ordered a rope to throw but we have been starting with the surfer on the swim platform, Get up to speed and just wiggle off

Roonie's
08-30-2007, 03:21 PM
I have been ending my surf run by going forward and stepping onto the platform. It is pretty slick. The rope I have is just a rope with knots in it to hold onto. That way you will never fall into the handle with an arm or something and get it yanked off when not holding onto handle.

A.I. Rider
08-30-2007, 03:23 PM
We have had plenty of success using just a fly high 750 sitting in the floor, and the center ballast along with the ballast tank on the side we are riding....at 10.7mph. We never have a problem and the wave is big and fast. We are a bunch of surfers, and everyone seems to love it. The reason I like it like this is I can easily fill up the empty tank and we can start wakeboarding with an amazing wake right away.

Roonie's
08-30-2007, 03:29 PM
We have had plenty of success using just a fly high 750 sitting in the floor, and the center ballast along with the ballast tank on the side we are riding....at 10.7mph. We never have a problem and the wave is big and fast. We are a bunch of surfers, and everyone seems to love it. The reason I like it like this is I can easily fill up the empty tank and we can start wakeboarding with an amazing wake right away.

Good to know since the dealer recommended an 800# in the rear (400# each side) for a total of 1550# including stock ballast.

A.I. Rider
08-30-2007, 03:36 PM
You could do that and Im sure that's what most will say to do. It keeps the ballast out of the way for the most part. I do not want to get into plumbing in my own system as I am limited in my experience with such work. I figured it was the easier thing to do and just fill a 750 and put it in the floor. With a few people on the boat, we have always had a great wake, whether it be wake or surf. I have had several very good riders behind it and they have had no complaints. Again, this works for us....so we stick with it. Hope this helps.

c640947
09-04-2007, 06:32 PM
come on tuck those graphics a bit -

I have the custom fly highs sacs in the rear. port full, starboard half. integrated bow sac full. 750 on the seat (0ver the cooler) and another 400 in teh floor. THEN add 4-8 people, 10.5 mph and have fun.

I didn't even know you could surf with stock ballast?

surfacetension
09-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Over the winter I may add some bags in the back , as for the front I wonder how 3 to 4 hundredd lbs of lead would be ?? I wonder how the baot will handle with the rear tanks empty

c640947
09-05-2007, 08:36 PM
the nose will sit a lot further in the water and it will take on water easily. your platform will also sit way out of the water. That's a lot of lead for the nose. use an integrated bow sac plumbed into the KGB pump instead.

TOO-TALL
01-17-2008, 05:56 PM
roonie, have you considered pop-products. they are great. i have
10-40lb bags. they are made of steel shot.

Do you have a website for pop-products?

Also have you guys put any protection on the front of the boards like foam or something.I don't like the way the tip of board sometimes rams into the back of the boat on a fall.

TT

ttu
01-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Do you have a website for pop-products?

Also have you guys put any protection on the front of the boards like foam or something.I don't like the way the tip of board sometimes rams into the back of the boat on a fall.

TT

here you go.

pop-products.com

TOO-TALL
01-17-2008, 06:52 PM
OOP'S I posted in the wrong thread.

Thanks for the website.

corey
01-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Zach, if the Liquid Force rep is around when you stop by the boat show I'll have you talk with him. He runs an X-2 and surfs A LOT. He can help you out with the ideal set up for your boat though he'll also try to sell you a Liquid Force surfer!

Just kidding he's a great guy and lives locally, so if you miss him at the show I'll have him give you a call or shoot you an email.

Roonie's
01-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks....... I was looking at the setup you guys sell. Would like to hear what works best for surfing with the X2.