View Full Version : What a shame

03-03-2005, 12:11 AM
School Bus Driver Dies After Being Shot On Route

POSTED: 8:53 am CST March 2, 2005
UPDATED: 11:55 am CST March 2, 2005
CUMBERLAND CITY, Tenn. -- A Tennessee law enforcement official says a school bus driver has died after being shot while driving her morning route Wednesday. A male teenage student was taken into custody, authorities said. No students were hurt. http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0302/4246451_200X150.jpg CNN Image
Cumberland City, Tenn.

At the time of the shooting, the bus was carrying up to 20 students, ranging from kindergarten to 12th grade, said Bill Austin, a supervisor for Stewart County schools.
A school supervisor said, "I lost a good friend this morning. We're trying to do our level best to get our kids through this." The student had not yet boarded when the shooting occurred, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Jennifer Johnson said. Stewart County school superintendent Phillip Wallace declined to identify the driver, other than to say she had worked for the schools for two years. Mitchell Kern lives about 50 feet from where the bus crashed. He said he knows the student taken into custody, adding that he is 15 years old and "was a good kid. Officials said no students were hurt. Cumberland City is about 50 miles northwest of Nashville. Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press (http:///news/2455821/detail.html). All rights reserved.

03-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Golfing Legend's Grandson Drowns In Hot Tub

POSTED: 9:44 am CST March 2, 2005
NORTH PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Authorities said the death of the grandson of golf Hall of Famer Jack Nicklaus appears to have been an accident. http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0302/4246213_200X150.jpg AP Image
Jack Nicklaus, and sons Steve Nicklaus and Jack Nicklaus Jr. (left to right)

Seventeen-month-old Jake Nicklaus apparently drowned in a hot tub Tuesday. He is the son of Steve Nicklaus, one of the golfing great's four sons. Authorities in Palm Beach County, Fla., said the toddler had been playing in the hot tub with his 4-year-old brother and their nanny. The three left the pool area and went into the house, but Jake slipped away from his nanny and went back through a sliding door to the hot tub. "Someone left the (sliding door) open after they went back into the residence," said Paul Miller, of the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office. "There was a baby protective barrier around the pool and the Jacuzzi, but somehow Jake Nicklaus did go through the opening to the Jacuzzi -- and that's where he was located by the nanny."
The nanny quickly realized he was missing and discovered him in the water. She performed CPR until fire-rescue workers arrived. Miller said the boy was breathing at the time, but died about an hour and a half later. Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved.

03-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Bubba the Leviathon Lobster Dies at Zoo

Wed Mar 2, 8:32 PM ET Strange News - AP

PITTSBURGH - He dodged lobster pots for decades, endured a trip from the coast of Massachusetts to Pittsburgh and survived about a week in a fish market. But a trip to the zoo proved to be too much for a 22-pound lobster named Bubba.

AP Photo

The leviathan of a lobster died Wednesday afternoon at the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium about a day after he was moved from Wholey's Market, said zoo spokeswoman Rachel Capp and Bob Wholey, owner of the fish market.

"They're very finicky. It could have been a change in the water. You have no idea," said Wholey.

Bubba died in a quarantine area of the zoo's aquarium, where he was being checked out to see if he was healthy enough to make a trip to an aquarium at a Ripley's Believe It or Not museum, Capp said.

Bubba will be examined to try to figure out why he died, although Capp and Wholey guessed it may have been the stress of being moved.

Based on how long it typically takes a lobster to reach eating size about five to seven years to grow to a pound some estimated Bubba was about 100 years old. But marine biologists said 30 to 50 years was more likely.

Other large lobsters didn't fare well after they were caught, too.

In 1985, a 25-pound lobster that the New England Aquarium planned to give to a Tokyo museum died when the water temperature rose and the salt dropped in its aquarium. In 1990, a 17 1/2-pound lobster named Mimi died just days after being flown to a restaurant in Detroit. Last year, a 14-pound lobster named Hercules that was rescued by a Washington state middle school class died before it could be released off the coast of Maine.

03-03-2005, 08:15 AM
I'm not trying to diminish either of the other two stories, just having grown up spending my summers in Maine, you hate to see breeder lobsters wasted like that. Maine has a size limit on lobsters to keep bigger ones in the wild to help keep the population up, he would have been thrown back right away, it's unfortunate that they are the only state that does that. Besides he would have tasted like an old football.