PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with deceleration.

Bongo
08-30-2007, 12:38 AM
My daughter, 10 yrs, has become a pretty good free slalom skier. My neighbor and I have started pulling her through the course. (Narrow bouys, not full width.)

How do I teach her to decelerate before cutting back toward the wake?

While very light (~60 lbs), she cuts out very well and eventually gets a good angle back toward the wake. Her problem is she carries too much speed after the bouy; she doesn't slow down enough to get a good cut back at the wake quickly.

I've tried to convince her to "stand up" at the bouy; to transfer her weight to the front foot for 1/2 second before cutting back. She looks at me like I'm a martian.

From my vantage point, it looks like she's naturally got ~75% of her weight on her back foot. We're running the course at 24 mph and I usually have 23' or 28' off.

Any advice appreciated. I plan to cut out early Friday and pick her up from school to run through the course before the Wally's get onto the lake.

Bongo

Jesus_Freak
08-30-2007, 05:18 AM
I have a 10 year old who I am TRYING to get to slalom, so I am encouraged by your daughter. Very cool.

Like you said, she should bleed speed into the turn by getting some of that weight forward, but not by bending at the waste...by shifting the hips. You can show her any video/picture of a pro compared to hers. Hopefully she will see the difference and that you are indeed from Earth. I would also suggest going back to 15' off unless you have your boat has some strange wake issue at this distance for 24 MPH.

BrianM
08-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Sounds kind of funny but my wife had the exact problem when she was learning the course. A couple of things.

First off you need to get her standing in a more neutral position on the ski. Just keep talking about the bent knee. If she has that much weight back you may also consider moving her bindings forward some to even the load a bit. Yeah this is compensating for bad for but you can move them back as form improves. Also tell her when she goes to turn to step on the gas with her front foot. This usually is a bit easier to understand and pushing down with the front foot will generally require that they bend the knee and put more weight forward. Finally I would lengthen the rope. Even in the mini course you should not be running on a short line. 15' off at the most. I would actually but her on a full 75' rope. Having the extra rope gives you more time to decellerate and make that preturn before the ball. Also slow the boat down. 24 mph is really flying for a small kid. At 10 years old and 60lbs I would probably be having her start working on the course ar 18 or 20 mph. She should have a ski that is long and wide enough to let her ski this slow without sinking.

Good luck. All of these things really helped my wife. She finally managed to make it around the full course this weekend at 26 mph long line.

88 PS190
08-30-2007, 11:21 AM
I would read/watch anything you can put out by Marcus Brown. There are some amazing points raised about what you should and should not do on a ski. Particularly because it emphasises lower line load (good for light people) and carrying speed through the turn.

If she is running past the ball I would imagine she's pulling after the wake then edge changing late then running past the ball.

Jesus_Freak
08-31-2007, 06:14 AM
...All of these things really helped my wife. She finally managed to make it around the full course this weekend at 26 mph long line.

Excellent!