PDA

View Full Version : Stars and Stripes Stereo Pics

c_pohja
08-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Just got an 84 S&S and will be putting stereo in this winter and need some ideas for a clean install. I don't want anything fancy and want to keep the orginal look. This is what i was thinking

Head unit under flip up seat (how?)
wired remote on dash or by throttle
4 6.5 speakers (where?)
small amp (where?)

any pics of what you S&S guys have done would be great!!!

M-Funf
08-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Don't go by my setup on speakers. They're mounted on the riser for the oberver seat. One facing back and the other facing sideways. You can just see the top of the rear facing speaker in this picture...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid190/p4e1f63bc224af60cdf70a0a08ab9c94b/f1e4999f.jpg

Doest the boat have a back seat? If so, I'd put two of the speakers just forward of the seat under the gunnels, and two more further forward just behind the observers seat under the gunnel and behind the drivers seat under the gunnel. All speakers firing sideways.

Another option would be to mount the two rear speakers in the engine cover (I can't find the picture, but another member just posted this) at the top on the back (either side of the vent, if you've got one)

Edit: My head unit is on the side of the observers seat just next to my left foot...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid190/p8bd76d8eb716981896e0038755823c18/f1e49a5a.jpg

cbryan70
08-29-2007, 08:10 PM
forget about the head unit and just install an amp and have your ipod play the tunes strait through the amp. You then dont need a head unit and ot cut more holes

Chas
08-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Many better power amps are auto-sensing. That means they will power up when you plug in your ipod and power down a few minutes after you unplug. Which means you can mount them just about anywhere you want - out of the way is fine.

The only thing I like about having a stereo unit with an Ipod adapter is that it charges the Ipod while you are using it. Not a big deal because the Ipod will generally play all day if fully charged, but I have gone out only to discover the Ipod was low on battery power to begin with. Then you have to listen to the kid;s music...

rektek
08-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Ipod is a great idea, you will need some type of preamp for our ipod however, a ipod by itself cannot drive a amp unless it's a integrated amp.

ProTour X9
08-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Ipod is a great idea, you will need some type of preamp for our ipod however, a ipod by itself cannot drive a amp unless it's a integrated amp.

Not sure if this is even relevant, but my iPod can play in a guitar amp.:confused:

wade95
08-30-2007, 10:59 AM
forget about the head unit and just install an amp and have your ipod play the tunes strait through the amp. You then dont need a head unit and ot cut more holes

Holy smokes, is that even possible? Not doubting ya, just amazed at the idea!

454Prostar190
08-30-2007, 11:40 AM
An Ipod is a great idea! I have the same issue of no stereo and I will not cut a hole for anything! An amp could be mounted under the observers seat and then I could figure out how to install some speakers on my pylon and make it look clean. Rick

BTW, Jeff how are you doing? Are you going out this weekend? We're headed to Discovery Bay on the Delta.

M-Funf
08-30-2007, 11:48 AM
BTW, Jeff how are you doing? Are you going out this weekend? We're headed to Discovery Bay on the Delta.

Hey Rick,
Doing well! We're not headed out to the water this weekend...too many Wally's. I really want to see that monster of yours, though :eek: We'll have to arrange another weekend that works...

have fun and be SAFE!!!

JBaker
08-30-2007, 11:56 AM

This is NOT true. The iPod is a suitable pre-amp. The only addition you would need is to run a 12v switchable wire into the amps remote turn on lead. I would add a small toggle switch, or you could tie it to the ignition.

454Prostar190
08-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Sure thing Jeff! I'm headed out of the office pretty soon and may not be back here until Tues.!! Have a great weekend! Rick

c_pohja
08-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Ipod is not a bad idea at all, pretty much all we listen to anyway. I do have a sony marine deck i got for free just sitting so it would be no cost. How about on the speakers

Lets see some pics!!

justflyem
05-07-2008, 03:44 AM
Im getting a stereo installed on my 85 S&S and having the amp mounted up where the white nav light is stored so its out of the way

shellabargerj
05-07-2008, 08:08 AM
I also installed one on my 1978 Stars & Stripes. The unit is a Dual Marine unit with an iPod jack that I bought from Overton's, inside a marine sealed mounting unit. I had a friend of mine extend the mirror mount upward, and mounted the stereo on the dash under the mirror. As for the speaker boxes, I built them myself to custom fit under the side rails and taper down to the floor (so they're square with the floor and the boat) and carpeted the boxes. No amp, although there may come a day when I might do that.
I can shoot some pictures if you'd like to see them. It's nothing special but it works for me.

Slinkyredfoot
05-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Since I cannot see to figure out how to attach another thread here, do a search under "79 stereo install ideas" and pics are posted on the install I did on my 1979.

Nothing special either, but it turned out great and sounds even better....

sethro
05-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Slinkyredfoot's install thread is here (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22167&highlight=stereo+install).

Nice job.

83MC
05-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Here are a few pictures of my install...

85Stars&Stripes
08-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Nice, I am doing an install right now on an 85. Mounting in directly under the steering wheel. No amp yet but maybe soon. I will post some pics when done.

Willski
08-14-2008, 09:03 AM
I like it. I have a box mounted on the floor. I'll look for some, or take some pics.