PDA

View Full Version : Electric (invisable) dog fences ???

fintek9
08-29-2007, 04:40 PM
We got a problem dog at home. Any chance she gets she's gone!
We have a slider run for her and Doe's good job but when she gets inside she will find a way out, cat door-Blocked! Signs on all doors for the kids to remember!! (oh sorry! forgot) :rant:
she'll even go through the dang screen porch door if taunted enough by another dog outside walking! She not only runs, she will go for days..
she stays insight but will bark a neighbors and just be a *** in general.
Comes back when she's ready. *** us off, top of class at obedience training, Know at 4 yrs old turned into a ***....

Here's the thing, Wife wants a chain link and I would prefer a electric
Dog still fence. Do these work good with the right training of the ***
to keep her at bay?(dog not wife!) if she gets out without the runner attached? Will it stop a 60 pound Siberian husky? I want her to DROP if she hits that zone!

Any one have a bigger dog that this has worked? Neighbors have em and works for there Labs and other dogs but this dog we have is breed to run.....And run she does!... No more!!!

flipper
08-29-2007, 04:51 PM
A friend of mine had one of those, it didn't work all that great. The biggest thing is taking him somewhere to run, and wear down. Get rid of that energy and most of the problem will go away.

peason
08-29-2007, 04:56 PM
We have one that contains our 40 lb. mix breed dog that we adopted. He was a runner. But the main reason it works is one time he escaped and he also had a training collar on that we could activate by a remote and my wife shocked the piss out of him. It was a funny story, she only had a towel on since she just got out of the shower and she saw he wasn't in the yard so she hit the shock button and sure enough he led out a huge wimper and came back home. Since then he has never tried to run away.
They do make some that have adjustable strength as far as the shock goes. I would have bought one of those collars if I didn't already have the other style. Now if our dog gets close and he hears the sound - he backs off immediately and gets to safety.

BrianM
08-29-2007, 05:01 PM
They can work well but some dogs will run through regardless. I had the opposite issue with one. One of my dogs liked to climb the 6ft wood fence. he was a total Hudini when it came to getting out. I installed an invisable fence around the perimeter to reinforce the wood fence. He got shocked a couple of times by it and then wouldn't go out of the house into the backyard. Had to stop using it. All in all I think they are kind of hit and miss. Works great for some not at all for others.

Ric
08-29-2007, 05:13 PM
your dog has a crack problem. You need an intervention

Ric
08-29-2007, 05:16 PM
We have one that contains our 40 lb. mix breed dog that we adopted. He was a runner. But the main reason it works is one time he escaped and he also had a training collar on that we could activate by a remote and my wife shocked the piss out of him. It was a funny story, she only had a towel on since she just got out of the shower and she saw he wasn't in the yard so she hit the shock button and sure enough he led out a huge wimper and came back home. Since then he has never tried to run away.
They do make some that have adjustable strength as far as the shock goes. I would have bought one of those collars if I didn't already have the other style. Now if our dog gets close and he hears the sound - he backs off immediately and gets to safety. buddy of mine has a collar like that for his golden... we were hunting one day and in the duck blind and ready to go and yet the damn dog kept whining and began to cry louder... he cussed him a few times and then started to worry... whassamadda gus? whassamadda big boy? .......... finally, he realized that he was sitting on the remote :eek: dog's been real good in the blind ever since!

fintek9
08-29-2007, 05:19 PM
We do the walk every night, Have good trails around for her to run.
She love running them woods, stays around real good out there but we've even done a long one and get back and "NOPE" not done yet "SEE YA" VROOOMMMMMM gone! 41 hrs later "OK" I'm done (tail between legs!)
I'm thinking it's more of a training thing for it to work properly. I've heard it can be a hit and miss though! Cause this dog can hit 0 to full tilt faster then I can pop my 140 pound boy up on his board with my boat!!!

And the only crack this dog is going to see tonight is a baseball bat!!!jk ...If I could only get close to the sh*t. Man I worked little over 15 hrs yesterday and get home around 11:00 no dog a door:confused:
My boy playing Halo, daughter on computer, "NO ONE" knows anything.. porch door WIDE open!!:rant:

chudson
08-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Been fixed? :eek3: That slows'em down!!! ;)

Ric
08-29-2007, 06:07 PM
We do the walk every night, Have good trails around for her to run.
She love running them woods, stays around real good out there but we've even done a long one and get back and "NOPE" not done yet "SEE YA" VROOOMMMMMM gone! 41 hrs later "OK" I'm done (tail between legs!)
I'm thinking it's more of a training thing for it to work properly. I've heard it can be a hit and miss though! Cause this dog can hit 0 to full tilt faster then I can pop my 140 pound boy up on his board with my boat!!!

And the only crack this dog is going to see tonight is a baseball bat!!!jk ...If I could only get close to the sh*t. Man I worked little over 15 hrs yesterday and get home around 11:00 no dog a door:confused:
My boy playing Halo, daughter on computer, "NO ONE" knows anything.. porch door WIDE open!!:rant: rename him yellow dog... probably out scaring up some game

fintek9
08-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Yup, She's fixed. Didn't do squat for her runnin sindrome...
Yeller sh.t..... We named her Doe (short for shadow) She runs like one. FAST she is! You ever try to run down a deer? What Pis..s me off is I'll be on stand, hear something coming and Dall Gamit it's the damb dog..That dog has tracked me down up to 3 miles from our house.
Told the wife it's going to be target practice for someone someday!:rolleyes:

dmayer84
08-29-2007, 06:21 PM
I had a husky and it ran though the electric fence each time, the such thick fur on Husky's keep it from shocking the dog as much. I would go with a chain link fence, or wood since it looks better and go down 1-2 feet into the dirt, boy can they dig.

I acutally had the same problem with my husky running away, would go out untill he was ready to come back but never far. He ended up running away by opening up the screen on a window and I am guessing that someone picked him up as he always came home.

fintek9
08-29-2007, 06:26 PM
If the wife wins with the chain link I think I'll still get the collar, SHAVE Does neck, You know for ..its and giggles, pay back time ....

milkmania
08-29-2007, 07:13 PM
We got a problem dog at home. Any chance she gets she's gone!
We have a slider run for her and Doe's good job but when she gets inside she will find a way out, cat door-Blocked! Signs on all doors for the kids to remember!! (oh sorry! forgot) :rant:
she'll even go through the dang screen porch door if taunted enough by another dog outside walking! She not only runs, she will go for days..
she stays insight but will bark a neighbors and just be a *** in general.
Comes back when she's ready. *** us off, top of class at obedience training, Know at 4 yrs old turned into a ***....

Here's the thing, Wife wants a chain link and I would prefer a electric
Dog still fence. Do these work good with the right training of the ***
to keep her at bay?(dog not wife!) if she gets out without the runner attached? Will it stop a 60 pound Siberian husky? I want her to DROP if she hits that zone!

Any one have a bigger dog that this has worked? Neighbors have em and works for there Labs and other dogs but this dog we have is breed to run.....And run she does!... No more!!!

my vet received a electric pet containment unit for attending some seminar.....

she swears by them for her great danes!

milkmania
08-29-2007, 07:18 PM
My boy playing Halo, daughter on computer, "NO ONE" knows anything.. porch door WIDE open!!:rant:
get rid of the kids, keep the dog;)

lot cheaper!

Prostar in Michigain
08-29-2007, 07:19 PM
we have an 80lbs golden and he runs right through it my dad said it was the worst thing he has ever boughten

JohnnyB
08-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Getting an underground fence with the right features is the key. An adjustable field width (how wide of a shock zone by the underground wire) and collars with variable correction are key.

The other important thing is the training/conditioning so the dog understands where the boundaries are and how to behave when they are being corrected.

I have had two different labs in the 80-100lb range and the fence has always worked for me. Joggers, passing bye dogs, etc are not an issue. My 1.5yr old lab has had some run through issues which were remedied with some additional training, widening the field of the fence and getting the "stubborn dog" version of the collar that has a high intensity correction (I'm at level 3 of 5 and it works).

My lab does figure out very quickly when it is down (collar batteries dead, utility cut through fence line, etc) and does escape in those cases.

You may consider talking to your local Invisible Fence brand distributor as many of the guarentee the success of the fence. That is not the brand I own, but something to consider if you're looking for someone to back their product.

Maristar210
08-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Getting an underground fence with the right features is the key. An adjustable field width (how wide of a shock zone by the underground wire) and collars with variable correction are key.

The other important thing is the training/conditioning so the dog understands where the boundaries are and how to behave when they are being corrected.

I have had two different labs in the 80-100lb range and the fence has always worked for me. Joggers, passing bye dogs, etc are not an issue. My 1.5yr old lab has had some run through issues which were remedied with some additional training, widening the field of the fence and getting the "stubborn dog" version of the collar that has a high intensity correction (I'm at level 3 of 5 and it works).

My lab does figure out very quickly when it is down (collar batteries dead, utility cut through fence line, etc) and does escape in those cases.

You may consider talking to your local Invisible Fence brand

distributor as many of the guarentee the success of the fence. That is not the brand I own, but something to consider if you're looking for someone to back their product.

Johnny has it right. We paid the long dollar for our dog complete with training. Its a progressional beep but if he hears it once he sits or turns back. He's an 84lb Male Lab / Aussie Shepard mix and he is fully qualified in the pain the *** department. Sock stealing, beer can chewing, shrub eating sone of a you know what but he NEVER leaves the yard......

Where are you FT?

ogrover3
08-29-2007, 10:23 PM
i have a rot and a boxer both very large and i have invisible fence around 2 acres but i also have the 3 rail pvc fence also. the invisible works great and the dogs dont go near the fence. but i did talk to the vet about it and he said that in alot of cases as long as there is something to associate the boundary with such as another fence then it works great. i did get the larger of the 2 transmitters and a larger wire and a more aggressive collar. all from home depot. i did try the thinner wire before and it didnt do well at all. only bury 1 or 2 inches deep. good luck.

fintek9
08-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Well guess who got hungry...Dogs back in custady. there went 25 hours of staight running! found swamp oh fun,fun.

Portage/Plainwell area Steve..

One thing I know the dog has some smarts to it, I have broke it of some issues like how it handles other dogs being walked in front of the house by (stupid enough) methods from "The Dog Whisperer" but I'll be, they worked! But I do think a Lab is a good and faster learner.
This dog of ours even after obedience training will "NOT" come If out side after it gets lose and decides to make a run for it! Shes got this
"smile" in her face pattern that she will stop and look at you, take off
running with that "grin" that says -----you, Naananaananaa catch me if you can...I'll tell ya, it gets old!

ski_king
08-29-2007, 10:34 PM
I have seen them work, but my luck wasn't so good. I bought a cheap one and it didnt have much of a shock (at least for the dog) and it crapped out in a few months. Get a good one and train and they will work.

..........and it didnt have much of a shock (at least for the dog) ...........
Funny story. I installed mine myself. When it was time to put in the training flags the instructions said to place right inside he fence, where the colar would give a warning beep.
I had a had full of flags, a hammer to tap the flags into the hard packed soil and the collar in my hand. I got tired of sitting everything down to put in each flag as I went around the perimiter of the yard, so I got the bright idea of putting the collar around my neck inside out with the electrodes pointing out. It worked great for 15 minutes or so until I got hot and sweaty in the sun, then somehow the collar rolled over on me as I bent over to place a flag. I let out a yelp, ran into the house and havn't been out of the yard since then.

Maristar210
08-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Well guess who got hungry...Dogs back in custady. there went 25 hours of staight running! found swamp oh fun,fun.

Portage/Plainwell area Steve..

One thing I know the dog has some smarts to it, I have broke it of some issues like how it handles other dogs being walked in front of the house by (stupid enough) methods from "The Dog Whisperer" but I'll be, they worked! But I do think a Lab is a good and faster learner.
This dog of ours even after obedience training will "NOT" come If out side after it gets lose and decides to make a run for it! Shes got this
"smile" in her face pattern that she will stop and look at you, take off
running with that "grin" that says -----you, Naananaananaa catch me if you can...I'll tell ya, it gets old!

Dogs do that because they seek your attention. They want you to look at and be with them. The longer you ignore them the worse it is because they just become wretchedly bad and will do anything to get attention.

Its no different than a three year old really. You ignore the whining, the whining gets louder. Usually the kids are in charge of this situation. Go to your local McDonalds. Wait ten minutes and see the child in charge of the family. The mom is paper and the dad is stuck on his cell phone. I saw a kid THROW an orange drink at his mom and she just said "no" as the kid continued to be a spoiled ****ing brat.

Sorry for the off topic rant....:o

sunsational
08-29-2007, 11:03 PM
We have a 85lb yellow lab and it works great! It does require 2-3 weeks of training, but it's time well spent. He has run through it once in 6 years. You have to watch the battery life in the collar though. No juice, no warning, no correction - dog is gone! Good luck.

jlf
08-30-2007, 10:37 AM
we have one for our border collie, it works great for him. we did have some issues when we first got it. the first time he got shocked we couldn't hardly get him to go outside so we had to pull him off the deck and play with him to reassure him the yard was safe. now it works great. we did get the adjustable field. dogs will run through them though and once they are outside the field the shocking stops. we've been fortunate our dog behaves pretty well for the most part.

fintek9
08-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Dogs do that because they seek your attention. They want you to look at and be with them. The longer you ignore them the worse it is because they just become wretchedly bad and will do anything to get attention.

Its no different than a three year old really. You ignore the whining, the whining gets louder. Usually the kids are in charge of this situation. Go to your local McDonalds. Wait ten minutes and see the child in charge of the family. The mom is paper and the dad is stuck on his cell phone. I saw a kid THROW an orange drink at his mom and she just said "no" as the kid continued to be a spoiled ****ing brat.

Sorry for the off topic rant....:o
I've seen that one more once, Some parents just don't train there critters good enough and instore basic morals when those kids were young!
The one I personally hate is the kid at the checkout line in a store not getting that candy they want and throwing a fit and the parent going No put it back, No put it back, No put it back, And the fit goes on and on all the way out the door. Good correction there parent!

chudson
08-30-2007, 11:05 AM
We named her Doe (short for shadow) She runs like one. FAST she is! You ever try to run down a deer? :rolleyes:

Just had to add this in there and I do hope you can get your problem fixed but when you said "You ever try to run down a deer" this came to mind...............
Hope you can take this in the spirit it was intended.:D

fintek9
08-30-2007, 11:50 AM
LOL...Oh heck yea....

east tx skier
08-30-2007, 11:54 AM
We used one with our Golden for seven years and she only got out on her own once (some dumb kid tried to take her for a walk a second time).

Got it from Lone Star Invisible Fence Co. in Spring, TX. They came out, installed it, and trained the dog with little white flags along the perimeter. The collar was waterproof and would beep when she got within 5 feet of it. She would go full out running along side of cars that drove up and down our street, but she would always put on the doggy brakes about 10 feet from the perimeter (flags were gone after a week). She knew the boundaries.

Some dogs are more stubborn. But they have an option to turn up the juice a little if need be. Worked like a charm for her entire life.

I know they sell kits for this sort of thing. My only experience is with the custom produced stuff though.

fintek9
08-30-2007, 12:00 PM
I have a feeling we'll have to get one with advanced stubborn dial...:D

WakeSeeky
08-30-2007, 01:29 PM
I have a feeling we'll have to get one with advanced stubborn dial...:D

You got a Husky, that's part of the deal. :D Great dogs, but don't expect the I'm-just-eager-to-please-you attitude of a Lab or Golden. You have to convince the dog it WANTS to do what you're telling (ok, asking) it to do. ;)

I don't think a chain link would do much for you anyway. Both the Huskies I/my family had could climb one lickety-split and yes, run for days. I'd guess with training an e-fence could work, but sorry, don't have any experience there. Good luck!

fintek9
08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=WakeSeeky]You got a Husky, that's part of the deal. :D Great dogs, but don't expect the I'm-just-eager-to-please-you attitude of a Lab or Golden. You have to convince the dog it WANTS to do what you're telling (ok, asking) it to do. ;)

Oh I'm so down with that! "eager to please" my ***. Sometimes their look says SAY WHAT?? I'd rather be submissive and show my teeth.
(damb wolf in em anyways!)

ProTour X9
08-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Are you sure you don't have a wolf??? You don't see many wolves inside these days:D

ski_king
08-30-2007, 03:26 PM
You got a Husky, that's part of the deal. :D Great dogs, but don't expect the I'm-just-eager-to-please-you attitude of a Lab or Golden. You have to convince the dog it WANTS to do what you're telling (ok, asking) it to do. ;)

I don't think a chain link would do much for you anyway. Both the Huskies I/my family had could climb one lickety-split and yes, run for days. I'd guess with training an e-fence could work, but sorry, don't have any experience there. Good luck!
The husky I had loved to run and there wasn't much you could do to stop him. Luckly he always came home before he made a mistake on a road. I do know people who trained them to stay in the yard, but I couldn't.

fintek9
08-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Are you sure you don't have a wolf??? You don't see many wolves inside these days:D
I beg to differ...You never know what you can come home to that time of "month"!8p :) :mad:

Datdude
08-30-2007, 05:36 PM
The people that own my company also sell Invisible Fence brand systems and they are awesome! I have had one for two years and I can not imagine living without it. Our 3 year old lab/husky mix has only left the yard once because of a dead battery in her collar(my bad:o ). We have 5 acres of woods and fenced the entire lot so she could run and chase chipmunks, deer, etc.. After the initial training, our dog will not go within 10' of the fence line. A week after we installed the system a deer wandered into our yard and Maddie took off after it. I watched nervously as she approached the fence line, and she locked up the brakes, as she watched the deer run into the woods. It was then that I knew she would do great on the fence. There are some other brand systems on the market, as well as different quality systems. I would caution staying away from the cheaper "Home Depot" type systems as they can have spotty results. A good friend actually had her lab get out of the yard and get killed by a car when she was using the wireless radius system(from Home Depot). We also get a number of people stepping up to Invisible Fence after trying other systems with poor results. The saying "you get what you pay for" is true when it comes to these things....and everything else. I can not think of a dog that has been unable to be contained in the last two years (since they have owned the business). The basic collar has two prongs that contact a small area of skin on the dogs neck. If a dog needs a little more correction, two additional prongs can be added on the sides of the neck so the current travels all the way through the neck. This has been totally effective in containing large dogs like Newfoundlands, German Shepherds, and everything else. The key is the initial traing of the dog. When installed the boundary is marked with flags to give the dog a visual clue as to their boundary. After the dog learns the boundary, the training then foucuses on showing the dog where it can go. If improperly trained the dog will develop "porch syndrome" where it is afraid to leave the porch/house for fear of being corrected(shocked). Taking the dog outside and using positive reinforcement (treats), it is usually simple to overcome. If I am not mistaken, IF has a containment guarantee, so you really can't lose. Invisible Fence also has a lifetime warranty on all of the components, even if the dog chews up the collar or receiver, so after the initial investment, you should be done. I could ramble on for a while about the other advantages, and customer stories when switching to Invisble Fence.

PM me if you have any questions

WakeSeeky
08-30-2007, 06:23 PM
The husky I had loved to run and there wasn't much you could do to stop him. Luckly he always came home before he made a mistake on a road. I do know people who trained them to stay in the yard, but I couldn't.

With huskies, the stubborn is a feature, not a bug. My last one had plenty of room to run and still took off one day & never came back. We figure somebody must have picked her up, we never found another trace of her. :(

They are fantastic dogs and I would have another in a heartbeat if we didn't live in the desert, but they are definitely high maintenance & not for everyone.

auburn buck
08-31-2007, 11:42 AM
We have found the electric fence to work great. We have two yellow labs, brother and sister, 90 and 80 pounds repectively. We have four acres and generally fences in our area are not allowed, so the electric fence was the only way to go. Once a few weeks of training is done they will absolutely stop when the initial buzzer sound starts to sound as they approach the fence.

We also have lots of wild stuff running around day and night, from regular herds of deer, skunks, raccoons, peacocks and occasional coyote packs and the odd mountain lion. In two years of having this fence, Buck and Ellie have not charged through the fence in pursuit of any of these.

Best of luck.

TMCNo1
08-31-2007, 11:58 AM
It's a shame there are not invisible fences for jet skis, now that would be more fun to watch than going to the circus!

fintek9
08-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Yea, one that shots a beam out about 50 yards behind the boat in a
v-pattern so when they come blastin across the lake in a beeline for my wake... ZZZZAPPPOOOO:shocked:
I'd just laugh and go:wavey::D

lake
08-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Ditto what Datdude said. I've got Invisible Fence brand and it works great. My dog got out once but it was my fault since I hadnt replaced the battery. This fence has the ability to turn up the juice in the transformer which is helpful for our 90 lb mutt.

If all else fails the electric collar makes for an entertaining party game as the evening wears on. We took the collar off the dog. The goal was to see who had the biggest ___ and could walk across the border. My turn came up and I held it tight. It gave the warning beep and I held on. Remember how I said I have a 90 lb dog? Lets just say the installer had the juice turned up hot. The shock hit me and I couldn't let go. My arm was shaking like a scene from the Exorcist. I turned and ran back out of the shock. We never laughed so hard!

TMCNo1
08-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Ditto what Datdude said. I've got Invisible Fence brand and it works great. My dog got out once but it was my fault since I hadnt replaced the battery. This fence has the ability to turn up the juice in the transformer which is helpful for our 90 lb mutt.

If all else fails the electric collar makes for an entertaining party game as the evening wears on. We took the collar off the dog. The goal was to see who had the biggest ___ and could walk across the border. My turn came up and I held it tight. It gave the warning beep and I held on. Remember how I said I have a 90 lb dog? Lets just say the installer had the juice turned up hot. The shock hit me and I couldn't let go. My arm was shaking like a scene from the Exorcist. I turned and ran back out of the shock. We never laughed so hard!

Just joking, but when it was all over, did you run up under the porch and start licking yourself, I'm just saying..............................:rolleyes: :D

I bet your a hoot with some bottle rockets!
Anybody remember that YouTube video?????????????

lake
08-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Famous last words of a redneck. Watch this..........

Datdude
08-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Famous last words of a redneck. Watch this..........

I thought it was "hold my beer and watch this":rolleyes: :D

atlfootr
09-02-2007, 07:48 PM
I "had" one of those w/ my last Rottiweler after the UPS vehicle went past the house he went right though it .....

kjohnson
09-04-2007, 09:28 AM
I have an electric fence. It would keep my Doberman in the yard. One day a deer was standing in the middle of the road and the dog would not cross the line. However, that dog got lymphoma and died. Later, got a new doberman puppy. Never could keep her in. She would bust right through with the fence turned all the way up. Tried everything, but if she wanted out she would go. A real fence is a sure thing! Invisible fence may or may not work.