PDA

View Full Version : Ouch

limegreen
08-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Lately my bilge pump has been running too much and I couldn't figure it out. I thought it might have been because of my do it yourself exhaust tip installation; but I sealed those good and went back in and put industrial type hose clamps on so I didn't think it was that.

Took it into Utah Water Sports - they jumped right on it and took a look (I take back all bad stuff I said about them) - found that they think I hit something with the rudder. Now, it can move enough to make a leak.

So they are going to put some silicone in there for now, but I will have to get some glass work done in the off season.

It is alot worse under way - sitting in the water it mostly stays pretty dry. That makes sense to me and them - underway and turning it has more pressure on the rudder and opens it up.

I am hoping it is good enough for our Lake Powell trip 9/14. I don't want it to sink while I am sleeping. Bilge pump is working fine...maybe I should pick up a spare in case it gets tired...

Any experiences like this out there; or comments on how freaked out I ought to get?

I remember hitting a rock at very (idle) slow speeds several days ago, but I figured it was the prop... That event doesn't totally coincide with the timing of the leaking but my memory is poor...

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Do you have dual batteries, or can you take an extension cord and battery charger on the Powell trip?

For when you are sleeping, maybe you can come up with something to put around the rudder (on the outside) to stop/minimize the water flow in?

Hope it all works out for you!

limegreen
08-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Do you have dual batteries, or can you take an extension cord and battery charger on the Powell trip?

For when you are sleeping, maybe you can come up with something to put around the rudder (on the outside) to stop/minimize the water flow in?

Hope it all works out for you!

Good ideas; thank you.

Leroy
09-06-2007, 01:26 AM
Sounds like it should be ok sleeping....

Actually a second pump with easy power connect or mounted permanently would be cheap insurance.

It is alot worse under way - sitting in the water it mostly stays pretty dry. That makes sense to me and them - underway and turning it has more pressure on the rudder and opens it up.

limegreen
09-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Sounds like it should be ok sleeping....

Actually a second pump with easy power connect or mounted permanently would be cheap insurance.

Good idea.

Utah Water Sports fixed me up with some temporary work; they pulled the rudder off, put some sealant and reinstalled. I was out all day and the bilge never pumped once so that is definitely the culprit. I don' think it is a permanent fix, but it sure makes me rest easy.

I swore I would never go back to them, but after X30 fuel pump repair went good for a tmc member and he could keep his Lake Powell plans I went back. Pleasantly surprised!! They fixed me right up, and quick!!

stars79stripes
09-06-2007, 06:38 PM
This is no longer relevant for you, but your post reminded me of a trick a crusty old marina owner taught me.

I once owned a 1956 Chris Craft, an old wooden hull that was a leaker. I had it set up with a shore-powered pump but I was concerned about power outages in the winter months. We got a sheet of plastic that was big enough to cover the underside of the hull, tied some string to the corners and positioned it under the boat. The pressure held the plastic against the hull of the boat and the string kept it from floating away. It was like upside-down shrinkwrap and the boat stayed dry all winter.

Thanks, I hadn't though about that in years. I think I'll tuck a plastic drop cloth in the boat - might make the difference if I hit something.

Mike

Chas
09-06-2007, 08:29 PM
I had some friends who made a battery-powered water alarm for a few bucks. This would be great for those times you have to leave the boat in the water tied to the houseboat, or anchored next to the shore you are sleeping on. I have seen remote systems available for next to nothing which would work over longer distances: boat is at the dock a hundred feet from the house/cabin etc.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/417S86X1A6L._AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Sonin-03300-Wireless-Water-Alarm/dp/B00004W4B5

daverbeck
09-06-2007, 08:46 PM
If an audible alarm will give you piece of mind while you are sleeping they are available at Home Depoit, etc. for $10. I bought one when I move our laundry room to the main level of our house. You'd have to position it at the level that you want the alarm to sound.