PDA

View Full Version : trailer pops

ttu
08-29-2007, 09:43 AM
i have had my 07 x2 for about 2 months. everytime i accelerate from a stopped postion or brake the trailer makes a popping noise and feels like it is bucking.

i have had 2 previous boatmate trailers and this never occured.

any ideas?

thanks

Ric
08-29-2007, 09:51 AM
could be that the sliding actuator is out of adjustment and has too much play, but I am guessing. you do have the correct trailer ball size, right? maybe the brake system needs bleeding?

ttu
08-29-2007, 09:54 AM
could be that the sliding actuator is out of adjustment and has too much play, but I am guessing. you do have the correct trailer ball size, right? maybe the brake system needs bleeding?

ric, i am guessing the sliding actuator is not in the correct position as you said. how do you get it correct.

Ric
08-29-2007, 09:55 AM
hellIdon'tknow . :purplaugh: I have never taken the actuator apart. I've seen some drawings of this and that, but not done it myself.

ttu
08-29-2007, 10:33 AM
hellIdon'tknow . :purplaugh: I have never taken the actuator apart. I've seen some drawings of this and that, but not done it myself.

great, you are a bunch of help;:D

hopefully someone will "also" help on this.

trickskier
08-29-2007, 10:42 AM
It should have a little pop to it...............If you think it's too much, check the fluid level, also bleed the brake lines if you know how to.

OhioX14
08-29-2007, 10:52 AM
With every surge brake trailer I've ever had there is always that bump of the actuator extending when starting after a stop. I always ease into the start to be as gentle with the actuator as reasonably possible and then accelerate hard after I feel the slight bump.

Are you saying yours is much harder than normal? If so, can't you just it into the dealer and have it checked out? It should still be under warranty I would think.

Roonie's
08-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Mine has a little pop to it as well but nothing annoying. I think it is the actuator extending after braking so I have never thought twice about it.

I have the 07 X2 trailer too.

ttu
08-29-2007, 10:56 AM
ohio, yes it is harder than normal. i am waiting for a few parts to come into the dealer for a few other things till i take it back up there.

right now i only have to tow from the storage to the ramp less than a mile.

thanks for your help.

db

TMCNo1
08-29-2007, 11:16 AM
If the brakes are bled properly, the movement of the actuator in the actuator tube is reduced and the bang/pop will/can be reduced to a minimum, but the locking of the brakes and bouncing of the trailer during slowdown and stopping without the boat on it will increase.

WTRSK1R
08-31-2007, 10:41 PM
If the brake fluid is low, or as several others have said, there is air in the lines, the acuator does not have the hydraulic damping that would normally be present and it slams from the from of the master cylinder to the back and vice versa. Think of it this way, if you have ever tried to compress or extend a shock absorber or the door closer for a screen door you are experiencing the resistance of the hydraulic fluid. If you have air in the master cylinder, you will have no resistance, and it will move very quickly and easily.

SoCalBrew
08-31-2007, 11:11 PM
Had the same issue on my '06 X15 trailer... the actuator had to be replaced... as soon as it was done - smooth as silk. A year later - still smooth as silk.

ttu
11-21-2007, 02:16 PM
follow up.

checked the brake fluid and it was "VERY" low. added fluid to full.

dropped the boat off about 3 weeks ago at the dealer to get some stuff done and the brake fluid was empty.

just got off the phone with the service manager and was told that there was a screw missing in the caliber thus leaking the fluid out. they have ordered two new ones.

hope this fixes it.

TMCNo1
11-21-2007, 02:23 PM
follow up.

checked the brake fluid and it was "VERY" low. added fluid to full.

dropped the boat off about 3 weeks ago at the dealer to get some stuff done and the brake fluid was empty.

just got off the phone with the service manager and was told that there was a screw missing in the caliber thus leaking the fluid out. they have ordered two new ones.

hope this fixes it.

That makes sense for the popping, the low fluid level was allowing the mastercylinder to move it's full range and there was little or no fluid to dampen the movement.