PDA

View Full Version : 3800 mile road trip finished

Roonie's
08-28-2007, 01:53 PM
(Pics Added)

So I finished my long road trip yesterday. We traveled about 3800 miles round trip with the MC in tow for all of it. We had no problems with the trailer or boat at all. I ran out of gas in my suburban on the side of the freeway at one point which was embarrassing but called AAA and had gas in 30 minutes again. We went from Minnesota to Priest Lake Idaho for a few weeks and back again.

Our boat is covered in bugs and other organic debris (lots of frogs crossing the road). Giving it a good washdown today.

A couple of things I learned.

On the way out I had the tower up and I averaged about 9-10 miles a gallon. On the way back I had the tower down and I averaged about 12-13 miles a gallon. Don't trust your fuel gauge when towing a boat as it is not accurate (found out the hard way). I checked the torque on my trailer tire lug nuts every 400 miles making sure it was at 85-90 and it always was with no movement. Whenever I passed semi's they tended to suck the trailer towards them a little so be prepared as the trailer can cross the center line very easily. I would feel my hubs on the trailer at gas stations and they were always barely warm to the touch. I took off my swim platform and laid it on the back seats and tied it down to keep any seat cushions from flying away. Also this gave a better view of my lights at night in the rain.

We had a blast and would do it again. I have the single axle 2007 trailer with a 07 X2. Every gas station and hotel we stopped at people always commented on the boat and how nice it looked.

TMCNo1
08-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Congratulations and we're glad you had a great time!

Maristar210
08-28-2007, 01:59 PM
So I finished my long road trip yesterday. We traveled about 3800 miles round trip with the MC in tow for all of it. We had no problems with the trailer or boat at all. I ran out of gas in my suburban on the side of the freeway at one point which was embarrassing but called AAA and had gas in 30 minutes again. We went from Minnesota to Priest Lake Idaho for a few weeks and back again.

Our boat is covered in bugs and other organic debris (lots of frogs crossing the road). Giving it a good washdown today.

A couple of things I learned.

On the way out I had the tower up and I averaged about 9-10 miles a gallon. On the way back I had the tower down and I averaged about 12-13 miles a gallon. Don't trust your fuel gauge when towing a boat as it is not accurate (found out the hard way). I checked the torque on my trailer tire lug nuts every 400 miles making sure it was at 85-90 and it always was with no movement. Whenever I passed semi's they tended to suck the trailer towards them a little so be prepared as the trailer can cross the center line very easily. I would feel my hubs on the trailer at gas stations and they were always barely warm to the touch. I took off my swim platform and laid it on the back seats and tied it down to keep any seat cushions from flying away. Also this gave a better view of my lights at night in the rain.

We had a blast and would do it again. I have the single axle 2007 trailer with a 07 X2. Every gas station and hotel we stopped at people always commented on the boat and how nice it looked.

That's cause its a damn nice boat that's why.

Glad you had a good trip and you what we are going to ask for next don't you? So get-ta posting those pics :D

Sodar
08-28-2007, 01:59 PM
How did you secure the tower when it was down?

wgwollet
08-28-2007, 03:00 PM
WOW Lucky you....a friend towed his X boat (single axle) about 300 miles. On I-65 in KY, he hit a "bump" and broke his mono spring on his 2001 trailer. Bent the wheel, fender damaged, and spring broken. Called a tow truck and left boat at a garage. New spring put on next day at $285. Used the spare and went on. Called MC and was told about a problem with the single spring (mono type on these trailers). Will replace..... anybody heard this?

Roonie's
08-28-2007, 03:40 PM
How did you secure the tower when it was down?

I laid it down on the engine cover and put a scrap 1 X 6 pine trim board I had around under it. The trim board is about 3 feet long and I wrapped it in an old towel so not to hurt the vinyl at all. I used the trim board so to distribute the weight of the tower across the back so it wasn't focused on the one point. I duct taped the board and towel to the tower. I then tightened the two remaining bolts hard that held the tower to the boat so the tower would not bounce around. It did the trick. The two front legs I folded down and they rested like they always do. I would recommend taping the ends as they did leave a little mark on the vinyl but I got it out. Also I taped all screw downs so not to loose them over the trip.

Roonie's
08-28-2007, 03:42 PM
WOW Lucky you....a friend towed his X boat (single axle) about 300 miles. On I-65 in KY, he hit a "bump" and broke his mono spring on his 2001 trailer. Bent the wheel, fender damaged, and spring broken. Called a tow truck and left boat at a garage. New spring put on next day at $285. Used the spare and went on. Called MC and was told about a problem with the single spring (mono type on these trailers). Will replace..... anybody heard this?

I hit many, many, many bumps. Not a problem. One time the whole trailer got air briefly. Scared me a bit. I would recommend strapping the boat down in back.

Maybe the 07 trailer has this problem fixed? I know it has a new bigger axle 5000# load for the single axle.

Roonie's
08-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Here are some pics.

This is the boat resting briefly between rides. I put 35 hours on her in two weeks.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0158.jpg

Here I am doing some surfing which is my favorite thing to do now as I got good at it this trip.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0249.jpg

Roonie's
08-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Got my niece up on skis which was really cool. She is 4.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0275.jpg

My wife and friends relaxing on the boat on a cool morning as I go boarding.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0123.jpg

chudson
08-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Way to go and glad to hear you had a safe trip! Was up in your neck of the woods last weekend in Minneapolis visiting my brother and touring the lakes around town. Ate at a couple of the places around the lakes too! It's for sure the land of 10,000 lakes!!! Glad your home and safe!!!

peason
08-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Welcome back, good to hear you had a great time. This past weekend we got together with some others from the website - SteveT5, EricB and #47of100TeamMC up at Balsam Lake, WI. We had a great time on a beautiful lake. Weather was not the greatest but we made the most of it.
Let's get together when you get a chance, and I can break away from coaching! - love to see pic's of your travels.

Roonie's
08-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Welcome back, good to hear you had a great time. This past weekend we got together with some others from the website - SteveT5, EricB and #47of100TeamMC up at Balsam Lake, WI. We had a great time on a beautiful lake. Weather was not the greatest but we made the most of it.
Let's get together when you get a chance, and I can break away from coaching! - love to see pic's of your travels.

Sounds good... Megan is leaving for Vienna Austria this week for work and won't be back until after the weekend. I am limited since it will be me and the kids.

trickskier
08-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Congratulations on a safe trip...................:D Welcome Back!!!

corey
08-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Glad to have you guys back and glad the trip went awesome. After seeing your pics I'm thinking a suprise visit to my friends out west is in store!

Roonie's
08-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Glad to have you guys back and glad the trip went awesome. After seeing your pics I'm thinking a suprise visit to my friends out west is in store!

Yes it is a sweet place. Water temp was 74 degrees and blue sky most of the time. It got smokey from wildfires burning in Montana. At night it would get to 38 degrees but be warm again by 10:00 am. That particular lake is clear and deep. The deepest point I found with the depth finder was 400 feet.

We also got some big waves on a couple of days and the X2 handled the chop great. I mean at least 5 foot rollers coming in, enough to bury the nose if it was at idle. We had to go about 15 mph to keep nose up and water out of the boat. Talk about a rough ride. Still handled better in those conditions than any other boat I have been in and the bilge never had to turn on. We had to travel a good 10 miles in those conditions to get back to marina.

I am bringing the boat in this week for the extras to be installed. Mark is aware of it already.

Roonie's
08-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Some more pics of the lake and surrounding area.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0219.jpg

Here is where I dock my boat. There was another 07 X2 there and an 06 Prostar next to mine. A week later an 06 X15 showed up and a few other brands.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0216.jpg

Roonie's
08-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Last pic..... My sons playing in the sand. Notice the white MC t-shirt.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/DSC_0200.jpg

sand2snow22
08-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Roonie, was the 06 X-15 Yellow and Black? Hard to beat Elkins. Drive the boat up, park, nice dinner with a view like your last picture. Ventured away from the steak stuffed with crab and went with the Mahi-Mahi this year, it was excellent......

Roonie's
08-31-2007, 10:47 AM
I saw the yellow and black as they were parked across the lake in a boat lift. The x15 I saw was red and black and a visiter staying at Elkins. Can't beat the food which is a good reason we moor our boat at Elkins. After boating all day come in and grab a beer at the bar. Bands play on the weekends so we end up staying a little bit.

TX.X-30 fan
08-31-2007, 10:57 AM
Wow just grabbed my shades before I burned my cornea. :D :D

JUS SAYIN. 8p 8p

mayo93prostar
08-31-2007, 10:58 AM
Roon, more info and more pics... what lakes did you go to, where did you stay, which one is your wife, show pic of tow rig, pic of boat on trailer with frog juice, etc... sounds like you and family had fun. congrats on good luck with trailer and boat. Ric would like to see pic of garage...

Roonie's
08-31-2007, 11:04 AM
We went to two lakes but stayed primarily at Priest Lake Idaho which is in the pics. The other lake we went on is Hayden Lake Idaho to see it since we used to have a lake cabin there and we had not been back since we sold it a few years back. No pics of Hayden Lake. Priest Lake is a pretty lake and one of my favorites ever. We have a place at Priest which is why we made the insane long trip. We used to live near there and moved recently but still own a place there. My rig is in the tow rig thread with boat (page 65). It is a basic 04 suburban. No pics of how messy the boat was after the road trip. First thing I did was clean it up fast. My garage is also in the garage thread (page 97).

sand2snow22
09-01-2007, 01:30 AM
Roonie, have you ever seen it this flat at Priest? This year, 4th of July, no power for one week = no people......

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/bryanmclean18/DSC03999.jpg