PDA

View Full Version : Hobbs meters

oldriver
08-28-2007, 09:10 AM
What is the general consensis on these hour meters.I am seeing lots of boats(mid 90s) with some real low hours(250-400).I ski alot and put about 100 hours a year on my boat.Do you think people are just unplugging them or are these boats used sparingly.Im in the market and would like to get what I see.Any thoughts on this subject?
thanks in advance

Monte
08-28-2007, 09:14 AM
What is the general consensis on these hour meters.I am seeing lots of boats(mid 90s) with some real low hours(250-400).I ski alot and put about 100 hours a year on my boat.Do you think people are just unplugging them or are these boats used sparingly.Im in the market and would like to get what I see.Any thoughts on this subject?
thanks in advance

I doubt too many are being disabled.. Some could be but not most IMHO. A lot of people buy a boat, use it for a season or two, loose interest in it, then put it away for several years.

Leroy
08-28-2007, 09:17 AM
I think 25-50 hours is more common in the general population so for a 10 year old boat 250-500 hours should be common.

JimN
08-28-2007, 09:17 AM
If the boat has a carb, it's a crap shoot. If the motor is injected and the ECM is OEM, it can be connected to a diagnostic computer, where the hours of actual run time is recorded.

BrianM
08-28-2007, 10:06 AM
I agree with all of the above. Most here use their boats much more than the general public. 25-50 hours is probably the norm of the general population. I have neighbors that have had their boats out only once or twice this season. Sad really.

TMCNo1
08-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Unless you are like us, and keeping the hours low to be able to have it inducted into the Who Cares Museum, Hall of Fame, ProShop and Turkey Shoot as a target!
:uglyhamme

east tx skier
08-28-2007, 11:17 AM
If it's a Chevy, you can plug it in. If it's a Ford, look for a trustworthy seller. Regular light use is not a bad thing. A boat that has laid up for months on end is not so good.

I have a good deal of hope that people aren't disconnecting hour meters, but there are scumbags everywhere. I probably fall into the light side of normal, regular use with my boat. It had about 502 hours on it when I bought it in 02/2003. As of today, it has 633.06 hours on it. So that's roughly 29.12 hours per year.

TMCNo1
08-28-2007, 12:25 PM
If it's a Chevy, you can plug it in. If it's a Ford, look for a trustworthy seller. Regular light use is not a bad thing. A boat that has laid up for months on end is not so good.

I have a good deal of hope that people aren't disconnecting hour meters, but there are scumbags everywhere. I probably fall into the light side of normal, regular use with my boat. It had about 502 hours on it when I bought it in 02/2003. As of today, it has 633.06 hours on it. So that's roughly 29.12 hours per year.
Darn Doug, we have put 31 hours on our boat this year, till the water dropped. Watch out, you'll be accused of not have fun and making memories if your not careful.:rolleyes: 8p :D