PDA

View Full Version : Health questions about dietary supplements?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-27-2007, 11:18 PM
This is not something I just came up with recently. I have thought about this for a while now. Now before we start here I just want everyone to know, that I am a big believer in DIET AND EXCERCISE, and I am not looking for "miracle cures" that can replace years of neglect and bad treatment on your body. What am trying to do, is ensure a healthier life for myself, the goal is really trying to ensure a healthier life in later years. Now what I am looking for is things that can be done in addition to a healthy lifestyle to try to provide better health in later years. and I mean dietary supplements. things such as Fish oil, which is supposed to promote good cardiovascular health, another one is ginko which is supposed to promote better mental awarness, being sharper mentally. another is saw palmetto which is supposed to promote better prostate health. others such as green tea, and pomegranite which is supposed to have beneficial anioxidant qualities and are touted to be good for "preventing" cancer & other diseases. Now this is a pretty "grey area" topic as most medical professionals dont really take a standpiont on it because there really is no clinical evidence to prove these supplements help us be healthier. What I am after is finding reputable sources where one can read about these things. I am interested in trying to be healthy later in my years, and I have been doing the diet and excercise thing, but I want to know if I can do more. Where can one learn more about these dietary supplements and their effectiveness? What I want to know is, do they really work? how effective are they? are some better than others? are there better brands? I guess I am looking for any type of information on this stuff from someone that IS NOT trying to sell me them. Naturally every store or website that sells this stuff says its the greatest thing since electricity and I will die tomarrow if I dont buy it:rolleyes: but I am after "real world" advice.

I welcome any advice anyone may have. Please feel free to post it here. there may be others intersted in this stuff too.

Thanks! :wavey:

08-27-2007, 11:21 PM
I bet Hoosier Bob sees this thread and posts on here about ***** enlargment pills.:rolleyes:

:uglyhamme

Leroy
08-27-2007, 11:39 PM
In Europe seems like herbal would be prescribed first for many diseases. Was common to hear from others in the lab, kid was sick, went to doctor and got a herbal medicine and it worked.

For some reason in the US herbal is considered "fake" and you need the latest designer drug....Asia is also pretty herbal.

I think there are seasonal herbs and herbs for specific problems. Example of pot and cancer patients. I think there is something to drinking sassafrass tea in the spring, something to green tea, something with ginseng

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/herbaldrugs/index.shtml#G

You ask a deep question indeed there UMP! I haven't had sinus infection in 6 years now after having one every year where I ended up on antibiotics for ~10 years.

TX.X-30 fan
08-27-2007, 11:43 PM
I bet Hoosier Bob sees this thread and posts on here about ***** enlargment pills.:rolleyes:

:uglyhamme

HB uses these, because he realllllllllllly needs them. 8p

08-27-2007, 11:46 PM
In Europe seems like herbal would be prescribed first for many diseases. Was common to hear from others in the lab, kid was sick, went to doctor and got a herbal medicine and it worked.

For some reason in the US herbal is considered "fake" and you need the latest designer drug....Asia is also pretty herbal.

I think there are seasonal herbs and herbs for specific problems. Example of pot and cancer patients. I think there is something to drinking sassafrass tea in the spring, something to green tea, something with ginseng

You ask a deep question indeed there UMP! I haven't had sinus infection in 6 years now after having one every year where I ended up on antibiotics for ~10 years.
Whats that plant? I have seen them before at that one guy that lives up by the corner store's house. Also see them at the "bookstore":D

Leroy, talk to me more aobut this. what do you know? how do you prevent your sinus infections?? with a herbal remedy?? Talk to me goose! :popcorn:

TX.X-30 fan
08-27-2007, 11:46 PM

Mod with a cannabis leaf pic. :noface: :noface:

08-27-2007, 11:47 PM
HB uses these, because he realllllllllllly needs them. 8p
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme HA HA!! you beat him at his own game X30!!!!

08-27-2007, 11:48 PM
Hey now! mods can be cool too! (((Its OK Leroy! I wont tell Brieod!)));)

Hoosier Bob
08-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the tip guys! Now I have to find a bigger v*****! This thing used to fit anything, now what am I gonna do?!;)

Hoosier Bob
08-27-2007, 11:51 PM
I think Beer is a preservative so you should be OK in preserving your body for things to come. Heck I can do anything and I am OLD! BEER, that's all I got! Oh and thanks for the pills!

08-27-2007, 11:52 PM
This thing used to fit anything, now what am I gonna do?!;)
Its called an adjustable wrench. or Crescent wrench, they fit anything.

TX.X-30 fan
08-28-2007, 12:01 AM
Its called an adjustable wrench. or Crescent wrench, they fit anything.

Never seen a crescent wrench with wrinkles. :D

sand2snow22
08-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Ask your doctor. I would stick with the diet and exercise. With the fish oil, they say to eat more fish instead of taking fish oil pills. You got Oregon steelhead running in Upper Michigan, don't you? But, if you have high cholesterol, doc might want you on the fish oil pills?

Hoosier Bob
08-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Give me a minute! I was swimming!:o Never seen a crescent wrench with wrinkles. :D

kal_dude
08-28-2007, 12:36 AM
if anyone is serious about learning info. on this subject they can call me, i specialize in health and nutrition, and weight managment.

information only does you good, if it is correct!!!!!!!
kal schultz
262-968-2514
414-801-0297
kaldude@unfranchise.com

kal_dude
08-28-2007, 12:37 AM
kaldude@unfranchise.com

kal

Leroy
08-28-2007, 12:42 AM
How did you recognize that so quickly?

There is a lot of discussion on the medicinal uses of pot. Just go to Amsterdam and check it out! Wait, too many things are legal there!

Leroy
08-28-2007, 12:45 AM
Hey kal_dude;

Feel free to share the top recommendations or what you would recommend for most people.

Thanks!

if anyone is serious about learning info. on this subject they can call me, i specialize in health and nutrition, and weight managment.

information only does you good, if it is correct!!!!!!!
kal schultz
262-968-2514
414-801-0297
kaldude@unfranchise.com

Hoosier Bob
08-28-2007, 12:50 AM
You should see his T-Shirt collection! Hydroponics locally was sold out when Leroy moved to town!8p

QUOTE=TX.X-30 fan]Mod with a cannabis leaf pic. :noface: :noface:[/QUOTE]

stevo137
08-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Alkaline diet for LIFE!

Huge transformation for me...

Leroy
08-28-2007, 12:58 AM
My one pot story is when we were 17 (30 years ago) and in HS we found this plant growing off the area that used to be a trailer porch near us. THe plant got like 14 ft tall until we cut it and cured it in my friend's grandma's barn. We had many gallon bags from that one plant.

That plant had medicinal powers, I never felt so good!;)

quote=Hoosier Bob]You should see his T-Shirt collection! Hydroponics locally was sold out when Leroy moved to town!8p

QUOTE=TX.X-30 fan]Mod with a cannabis leaf pic. :noface: :noface:[/quote][/quote]

bcampbe7
08-28-2007, 12:59 AM
Alkaline diet for LIFE!

Huge transformation for me...

So do you not eat meat any more?

stevo137
08-28-2007, 01:07 AM
So do you not eat meat any more?

A bit of fish and a very little bit of that nasty thing called a chicken.

Don't even think about asking me if I want to eat some swine, pork or also known as the other deadly white meat...

Pigs are only good for one thing, to be the most lowly savenger of the earth and our bodies do not properly metabolize their flesh which is full of toxins.

Hoosier Bob
08-28-2007, 01:13 AM
So do you prefer AAA or D size? I have licked a 9 volt and Alkaline is not on my menu!:confused:

Hoosier Bob
08-28-2007, 01:13 AM
We all do we just do not talk about it Beau!:o So do you not eat meat any more?

Leroy
08-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Very true on the pork. I was vegetarian for 3-4 years and felt the best I have ever felt and lost 50 pounds.

Good work Stevo!

Pigs are only good for one thing, to be the most lowly savenger of the earth and our bodies do not properly metabolize their flesh which is full of toxins.

chudson
08-28-2007, 09:15 AM
My one pot story is when we were 17 (30 years ago) and in HS we found this plant growing off the area that used to be a trailer porch near us. THe plant got like 14 ft tall until we cut it and cured it in my friend's grandma's barn. We had many gallon bags from that one plant.

That plant had medicinal powers, I never felt so good!;)

"We just smiled and waved, sittin there on that sack of seeds!!!! :rolleyes: :D
Jim Stafford

JimN
08-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Leroy- medicinal marijuana is used for its anti-anxiety and anti-emetic properties. The nausea caused by chemo is countered and that allows the patient to eat, which is extremely important. It's a main reason for a lot of cancer patients wasting away.

Maristar210
08-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Leroy- medicinal marijuana is used for its anti-anxiety and anti-emetic properties. The nausea caused by chemo is countered and that allows the patient to eat, which is extremely important. It's a main reason for a lot of cancer patients wasting away.

This is true. Good point.

UMP eat healthy, take a good mulitvitiman and blow that horn

tex
08-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Wow, did Ump think this question would get answered w/o cracks about beer, jager, weed, and all other forms of good stuff?

bigmac
08-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Fish oil (or other sources of Omega-3 fatty acids) has been widely studied and reported in peer-reviewed medical journals and has been demonstrated to be beneficial in decreasing the risks of cardiovascular disease (and some other things). Anti-oxidants and other forms of free-radical scavenging have not. Likewise, ginko and other such nostrums have no benefit based on the medical literature that I read. If you vegetable intake that's even close to daily recommendation by the ADA, multi-vitamin supplements are unnecessary.

I take a a fish-oil capsule twice daily and 80 mg of aspirin.

tommcat
08-28-2007, 11:28 AM
but they taste good, which is good enough reason for me to eat them:D

08-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Interesting stuff here! So let me get this straight, all that stuff is BS, and pot will cure all that ails me and prevent everything else.;) 8p

Good thread, good thread. :D

Keep the advice and comments rolling in! :popcorn:

Maristar210
08-28-2007, 12:26 PM
If your vegetable intake that's even close to daily recommendation by the ADA, multi-vitamin supplements are unnecessary.

Yeah but it makes my urine bright yellow :D

08-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah but it makes my urine bright yellow :D
doesnt mountain dew do that too?

tommcat
08-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Interesting stuff here! So let me get this straight, all that stuff is BS, and pot will cure all that ails me and prevent everything else.;) 8p

Good thread, good thread. :D

Keep the advice and comments rolling in! :popcorn:
so if we smoke pot we can eat pork and it's ok??

08-28-2007, 12:49 PM
so if we smoke pot we can eat pork and it's ok??
thats how I read it.

Maristar210
08-28-2007, 12:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/bong.jpg

"Fill it, light it, shut up and close the door"

tommcat
08-28-2007, 12:55 PM
thats how I read it.that's a pretty sweet health plan

Maristar210
08-28-2007, 12:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/Bob20Marley.jpg

bigmac
08-28-2007, 01:26 PM
but they taste good, which is good enough reason for me to eat them:D
I can't imagine Sunday breakfast without bacon, or at least pork sausage.:)

Maristar210
08-28-2007, 01:38 PM
I wonder what our good Doctor thinks of colon cleansing programs?
Value or Hoax?

http://www.bowtrolcoloncleanse.com/

bcampbe7
08-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Value or Hoax?

http://www.bowtrolcoloncleanse.com/

If you get your colon cleansing from HB, there are NO medical benefits! :D

TX.X-30 fan
08-28-2007, 01:44 PM
How did you recognize that so quickly?

There is a lot of discussion on the medicinal uses of pot. Just go to Amsterdam and check it out! Wait, too many things are legal there!

I have glaucoma. :D ;)

08-28-2007, 01:45 PM
If you get your colon cleansing from HB, there are NO medical benefits! :D
Have you Been there, done that Beau? :uglyhamme

TX.X-30 fan
08-28-2007, 01:46 PM
I can't imagine Sunday breakfast without bacon, or at least pork sausage.:)

Listen he's not in med school he's through. 8p

TX.X-30 fan
08-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Have you Been there, done that Beau? :uglyhamme

16 yr old valley girl.........

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

bigmac
08-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Value or Hoax?

http://www.bowtrolcoloncleanse.com/I think the whole concept is hilarious.

Maristar210
08-28-2007, 02:02 PM
I think the whole concept is hilarious.

That's what I thought you'd say. I must admit I fell for it a couple of years ago and gave it a try. Other than crapping 10 times a day I felt no effects of the "cleansing". Waste of money IMO which sounds about right.

Now an enima a few hours before a night in the hammock with HB? That has some usefulness !!!!! :D :D

TX.X-30 fan
08-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Could just drink Budweiser, then no need for the enema. :D

Sodar
08-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Now an enima a few hours before a night in the hammock with HB? That has some usefulness !!!!! :D :D

Ric, can we get a judgement? I am calling gey!

08-28-2007, 02:11 PM
I think the whole concept is hilarious.
I agree totally. I know a girl that her and her mother do that "cleanse" stuff. I think its a crock of BS. now, one of the local family doctors here recommends it, I still think its BS. These people I know that do them, see NO benefits from them, all it does is give them the hershey squirts for about 2 weeks. :rolleyes: Yet, they swear by it, even though they see now good effects from it.

08-28-2007, 02:15 PM
Could just drink Budweiser, then no need for the enema. :D
or blatz. :o

Maristar210
08-28-2007, 02:15 PM
Ric, can we get a judgement? I am calling gey!

Call me whatever. I'm good with it cause I don't care :D

No need for the guy selling dtuff out of a trench coat I did it to get a rise out of you all (no pun intended) and it worked :D

Maristar210
08-28-2007, 04:56 PM
or blatz. :o

PBR will do it or grandma's granola smackers have a ton of fiber as well :D

08-28-2007, 06:08 PM
PBR will do it or grandma's granola smackers have a ton of fiber as well :D
Grandma's oatmeal smackers, I will have to look for those at MM3 again this year.......right Milk? :D

betsy&david Harrison
08-28-2007, 06:55 PM
I agree totally. I know a girl that her and her mother do that "cleanse" stuff. I think its a crock of BS. now, one of the local family doctors here recommends it, I still think its BS. These people I know that do them, see NO benefits from them, all it does is give them the hershey squirts for about 2 weeks. :rolleyes: Yet, they swear by it, even though they see now good effects from it.
UMP, you are so right on the "cleansing issue" because to really detox your body you have to stop eating all processed food and start eating all natural foods...and that does not mean organic either. You should see the pesticides they use on organic foods these days!

Ric
08-28-2007, 07:00 PM
of all the goofy stuff you've posted, this one is wayyy too big for me to paste into my signature line

This is not something I just came up with recently. I have thought about this for a while now. Now before we start here I just want everyone to know, that I am a big believer in DIET AND EXCERCISE, and I am not looking for "miracle cures" that can replace years of neglect and bad treatment on your body. What am trying to do, is ensure a healthier life for myself, the goal is really trying to ensure a healthier life in later years. Now what I am looking for is things that can be done in addition to a healthy lifestyle to try to provide better health in later years. and I mean dietary supplements. things such as Fish oil, which is supposed to promote good cardiovascular health, another one is ginko which is supposed to promote better mental awarness, being sharper mentally. another is saw palmetto which is supposed to promote better prostate health. others such as green tea, and pomegranite which is supposed to have beneficial anioxidant qualities and are touted to be good for "preventing" cancer & other diseases. Now this is a pretty "grey area" topic as most medical professionals dont really take a standpiont on it because there really is no clinical evidence to prove these supplements help us be healthier. What I am after is finding reputable sources where one can read about these things. I am interested in trying to be healthy later in my years, and I have been doing the diet and excercise thing, but I want to know if I can do more. Where can one learn more about these dietary supplements and their effectiveness? What I want to know is, do they really work? how effective are they? are some better than others? are there better brands? I guess I am looking for any type of information on this stuff from someone that IS NOT trying to sell me them. Naturally every store or website that sells this stuff says its the greatest thing since electricity and I will die tomarrow if I dont buy it:rolleyes: but I am after "real world" advice.

I welcome any advice anyone may have. Please feel free to post it here. there may be others intersted in this stuff too.

Thanks! :wavey:

Ric
08-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Ric, can we get a judgement? I am calling gey! This has grave potential of turning into a gay thread, yes.

08-28-2007, 07:57 PM
of all the goofy stuff you've posted, this one is wayyy too big for me to paste into my signature line
Can you summarize it? or pick a favorite phrase??

08-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Grandma's oatmeal smackers, I will have to look for those at MM3 again this year.......right Milk? :D
Right Milk? we are going to look for those, Right??

LakePirate
08-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Bacon tastes good
Pork Chops Taste Good

From the classes I took in College, the belief was that anything more than a multi-vitamin everyday just causes expensive urine.

That being said, I currently take folic acid, tart cherry concentrate and a butt load of Vitamin C as they have all helped someone somewhere with the gout.

08-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Bacon tastes good
Pork Chops Taste Good

From the classes I took in College, the belief was that anything more than a multi-vitamin everyday just causes expensive urine.

That being said, I currently take folic acid, tart cherry concentrate and a butt load of Vitamin C as they have all helped someone somewhere with the gout.
How is the gout, your highness?

Hoosier Bob
08-28-2007, 11:40 PM
If you can fry it you can eat it!

Man Law!;)

kal_dude
08-29-2007, 01:20 AM
thats because wakeboats are F-ing cool, and good for you!!!

Ric
08-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Can you summarize it? or pick a favorite phrase??why do you want to live so long anyway ump? To see your grandchildren grow up?

TMCNo1
08-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Bacon tastes good
Pork Chops Taste Good

I was told, that fresh cherries was good to reduce Uric Acid levels that causes Gout, can't prove it by me, I've eat a boatload with no results! Just reduce the intake of rich foods like pastries, fats, fried foods, all the good stuff! I am suppose to eat fresh fruits, vegatables, etc., but they have too much Potassiun for my kidneys, so.........................:rolleyes: Darned if I do, darned if I don't!:confused:

ProTour X9
08-29-2007, 10:19 AM
UMP, you live U.P. north. This is our logic about health (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1leLgTr9ytw)

08-29-2007, 01:07 PM
why do you want to live so long anyway ump? To see your grandchildren grow up?
No. I want to be a healthy sex machine in my later years. :D

Ric
08-29-2007, 01:19 PM
No. I want to be a healthy sex machine in my later years. :D you better get started

Maristar210
08-29-2007, 01:25 PM
you better get started

I agree. Tossing your own salad or punching your own clown does not count you know8p

08-29-2007, 02:04 PM
I agree. Tossing your own salad or punching your own clown does not count you know8p
practice makes perfect, dontchano!

Sodar
08-29-2007, 02:34 PM
you better get started

I just spit my coke all over the screen!!

trickskier
08-29-2007, 02:45 PM
practice makes perfect, dontchano!
Are you ambidextrous???

08-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Are you ambidextrous???
Only on even numbered days.

Monte
08-29-2007, 02:56 PM

That's odd..................:confused:

08-29-2007, 03:03 PM
for some people

TMCNo1
08-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Are you ambidextrous???

Oh, that's those alerts about lost kids drinking Coke, right??????????:rolleyes: :D

TMCNo1
08-29-2007, 03:14 PM

All my days are ODD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :D

TMCNo1
08-29-2007, 03:15 PM

You better get off the computer, this guy may want to talk to you!

trickskier
08-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Oh, that's those alerts about lost kids drinking Coke, right??????????:rolleyes: :D
I thought it was Cheerwine...............:rolleyes:

Monte
08-29-2007, 03:32 PM
You better get off the computer, this guy may want to talk to you!

Who is that????:confused:

trickskier
08-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Who is that????:confused:
Chris Hanson.....Dateline NBC

Monte
08-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Chris Hanson.....Dateline NBC

Shows how much Network TV I watch:confused: :rolleyes::o

trickskier
08-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Shows how much Network TV I watch:confused: :rolleyes::o
My wife watches it............:rolleyes:

ProTour X9
08-29-2007, 04:14 PM
UMP, you live U.P. north. This is our logic about health (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1leLgTr9ytw)

Uhh didja miss this UMP?? Good health secrets for old age:D

08-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Uhh didja miss this UMP?? Good health secrets for old age:D
BACON!!! :uglyhamme

LakePirate
08-29-2007, 08:46 PM
punching your own clown does not count

That is awesome.

Maristar210
08-29-2007, 08:57 PM
That is awesome.

I am sure glad someone caught it. Sometimes I feel like saying "is this thing on?" :D ;)

kal_dude
08-29-2007, 10:07 PM
anyone interested in information on health and nutrition suppliments or weight managment can contact me, they are the areas of my business that i specialize in.

thanks,
kal
262-968-2514
414-801-0297
www.marketamerica.com/kaldude

trickskier
08-29-2007, 10:22 PM
I am sure glad someone caught it. Sometimes I feel like saying "is this thing on?" :D ;)
I caught it.............Didn't you see my post about asking UMP if he was ambidextrous..................:rolleyes: