PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance

6ballsisall
08-27-2007, 11:04 PM
I am thinking about leaving my companies health insurance provider (Cigna) to seek out my own coverage. I hear of people getting good deals w/ good coverage for very reasonable rates. How would I go about doing something like this? What things should I consider and what companies should I check out? This would be for my family (wife and 2 little girls)

bcampbe7
08-27-2007, 11:15 PM
I have the same questions...

Good thread Jeff!

east tx skier
08-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Jeff, if you guys are planning on having anymore children, from all I have seen, prenatal care policies are spendy. I've gone the route of buying my own health insurance in the past, and during that time, I'm glad I never had to use it. Now that I'm on the State's dime, I'd prefer not to have to think about it.

6ballsisall
08-27-2007, 11:23 PM
No more little ones for us. The wifes all over me (well, not really :( ) to go get the snippy snippy.

H20BOY
08-27-2007, 11:24 PM
This can depend on the size of the company you work for. Does your company subsidize your healthcare now? Most likely you cannot get the same coverage on a family plan for lower than a corporate rate. if your were single and 20 you could probably go with a catastrophe plan and save money, but getting a family plan with descent coverage might be hard to find. Also if you have any pre-existing conditions this can make getting a plan difficult.

6ballsisall
08-27-2007, 11:28 PM
This can depend on the size of the company you work for. Does your company subsidize your healthcare now? Most likely you cannot get the same coverage on a family plan for lower than a corporate rate. if your were single and 20 you could probably go with a catastrophe plan and save money, but getting a family plan with descent coverage might be hard to find. Also if you have any pre-existing conditions this can make getting a plan difficult.

Work for a decent sized company, it's not fortune 500 but it's not a mom and pop shop either. "Supposedly" my company subsidizes 50% of the premiums. I am really struggling with this. I pay 900 dollars monthly for my family. I wouldn't complain a bit if the coverage was good but it's poor. Case in point, my daughter was in the hospital all last week w/ Pertusis (whooping cough) The first 4 days she had breathing tubes down her throat because she couldn't breath. Cigna says she only needed to be there 1 day........:mad:

bcampbe7
08-27-2007, 11:28 PM
From the little I have researched this, I have found that with a $5K deductible, the monthly will be around $500-$600/month for a couple in there earl 30's with one child and maternity coverage.

bcampbe7
08-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Work for a decent sized company, it's not fortune 500 but it's not a mom and pop shop either. "Supposedly" my company subsidizes 50% of the premiums. I am really struggling with this. I pay 900 dollars monthly for my family. I wouldn't complain a bit if the coverage was good but it's poor. Case in point, my daughter was in the hospital all last week w/ Pertusis (whooping cough) The first 4 days she had breathing tubes down her throat because she couldn't breath. Cigna says she only needed to be there 1 day........:mad:

That's a typical insurance company. They try to practice medicine when they really shouldn't. :mad:
I am going to check with Farm Bureau to see what kind of rate/coverage I can get through them.

H20BOY
08-27-2007, 11:32 PM
That "900" does sound high for a corporate plan. You might be able to beat that, but having a recent hospital visit could hurt you in getting coverage.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Is there such a thing as "good" health insurance coverage these days???:confused: :o

JKTX21
08-27-2007, 11:33 PM
I don't know, healthcare is crazy. I think my company pays 70% and I pay about $140 per month for just me. For a family, it's about $400 per month. I think total out of pocket allowed per 12 months is $1500 per person.

erkoehler
08-27-2007, 11:34 PM
82.88 every two weeks for just me.

6ballsisall
08-27-2007, 11:35 PM
That's a typical insurance company. They try to practice medicine when they really shouldn't. :mad:
I am going to check with Farm Bureau to see what kind of rate/coverage I can get through them.

Yep, I was red hot when we got that letter today. Funny, we called them to get "permission" to put McKenna in the hospital and they said no problem. They wait a week then send us a letter stating they'll only pay 1/5 of the visit. :mad:

sand2snow22
08-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Is there such a thing as "good" health insurance coverage these days???:confused: :o

Not when you're bangin' hookers :)

bcampbe7
08-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Jeff, one thing to consider is having coverage for emergency type situations like your recent 4 day trip to the hospital and cover regular doctor visits with cash. That is why I am looking at higher deductible coverages. A MD friend of mine told me that I may be better off to talk with my doctors about paying cash. They love it because they get their money up front and do not have to fool with trying to get the insurance company to pay up.

6ballsisall
08-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Jeff, one thing to consider is having coverage for emergency type situations like your recent 4 day trip to the hospital and cover regular doctor visits with cash. That is why I am looking at higher deductible coverages. A MD friend of mine told me that I may be better off to talk with my doctors about paying cash. They love it because they get their money up front and do not have to fool with trying to get the insurance company to pay up.

Not a bad idea. Thanks Beau. I'd like to compare notes with you sometime soon on what you've found for your fam.

08-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Our employer pays 100% of our health insurance. I think for me, single, no kids, its about $400 a month. Outrageous. For a single healthy guy in his 30's, non smoker, great health, it should be MUCH less. I remember about 10 years ago, my health insurance cost my employer about $160 for my coverage. I have only used it for rinky dinky stuff, but its been good. I havent heard any of hte co-workers *****in about it, so it cant be bad, and they have had kids with health issues.

08-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Not when you're bangin' hookers :)
Hey now! they dont need to know that! :cool: they didnt ask that on the health survery & application! :o

sand2snow22
08-27-2007, 11:43 PM

True, my friend's father in law didn't have health insurance and he was in a bad motorcycle accident and messed up his leg pretty bad. He negotiated his $120k bill down to $50k.....

bcampbe7
08-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Not a bad idea. Thanks Beau. I'd like to compare notes with you sometime soon on what you've found for your fam.

No problem bro, but I just started researching this... I'll give ya a call sometime soon. When are you planning on making the switch? It won't be till next year (if at all) for me.

bcampbe7
08-27-2007, 11:48 PM
True, my friend's father in law didn't have health insurance and he was in a bad motorcycle accident and messed up his leg pretty bad. He negotiated his $120k bill down to $50k.....

Yeah, that type of thing happens all the time.

When my son was born last year he spent the first 9 days of life in the NICU. On one of his bills we called the doctor to get the payoff amount so we could write a check. The lady, without asking, said they would cut it in half if we paid by the end of the week! It wasn't anywhere near your friend's father-in-law amount but it was still enough to make us happy! :D

erkoehler
08-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Yeah, that type of thing happens all the time.

When my son was born last year he spent the first 9 days of life in the NICU. On one of his bills we called the doctor to get the payoff amount so we could write a check. The lady, without asking, said they would cut it in half if we paid by the end of the week! It wasn't anywhere near your friend's father-in-law amount but it was still enough to make us happy! :D

Any word if your going to make it to Mag Mania?

bcampbe7
08-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Any word if your going to make it to Mag Mania?

What does that have to do with health insurance? :D

erkoehler
08-27-2007, 11:56 PM
What does that have to do with health insurance? :D

If you don't show, I'm going to send some boys down to take care of some business:D We are trying to make it to 40 people for the MMIII>

Leroy
08-28-2007, 12:01 AM
That does seem very high, I pay $230/month for family of 5 and the insurance is good. We use it and I would be broke without it. I don't know of any options though as I've never looked.

sand2snow22
08-28-2007, 12:02 AM
JR, this is a good topic. For my family, I have my own company and my wife is a nurse. I'm on her policy at work. We're expecting our first child at the end of September. We are fortunate enough that after her maternity leave she only has to go back to work 1 day every other week. Nice, but no more benefits. We're looking into a family policy with BlueCross for about $500/month with a $250 deductible, but they won't let us apply until after the baby is born. Probably to make sure the baby is healthy :cool:

I've just had the 4th mole removed off of my left ear because the 1st mole came back pre-cancerous. I'm awaiting the lab results on the 4th. Now I have to wear tons of sunscreen and wide brimmed hats on the boat. :mad: And I might have what they consider a pre-existing condition!!

Isn't there a movie out about this? Something about a country that has universal health care and free college. This country's government is also scared of the people. Whereas in our country the health care companies, colleges and student loan companies have us by the balls!!

bcampbe7
08-28-2007, 12:09 AM
J We're looking into a family policy with BlueCross for about $500/month with a $250 deductible...

WOW! Is that a typo? Should it be $2500 deductible? If not, that is way better than my current employer's policy! :mad:

sand2snow22
08-28-2007, 12:09 AM

I have a really good friend who is a lawyer with a family of 4. His company chips in for some of his health insurance, but he still pays $800 a month. That's a lot. He makes good money and lives a good life, but $800 a month is a big chunk out of his paycheck.

Also, look into the tax benefits. I believe your $900 comes out pre-tax, whereas if you go on your own it might not be deductible. Any accountants out there?

sand2snow22
08-28-2007, 12:14 AM
WOW! Is that a typo? Should it be $2500 deductible? If not, that is way better than my current employer's policy! :mad:

I just checked with the wife, it's now $524/month and it is a $500 deductible, I thought it was $250 b/c that's what we currently have. No dental insurance, tho.....With dental probably a total of $600/ month...

cbryan70
08-28-2007, 12:19 AM
man im going ot have to pay 28 bucks every two weeks for medical and dental!

bcampbe7
08-28-2007, 12:21 AM
I just checked with the wife, it's now $524/month and it is a $500 deductible, I thought it was $250 b/c that's what we currently have. No dental insurance, tho.....With dental probably a total of $600/ month...

That is still much less than I thought. Hmmmmm...

H20BOY
08-28-2007, 12:24 AM
This is great for a private family plan. I would make sure to check all of the coverages, but if this is the case it appears to be an easy decision.

Monte
08-28-2007, 09:05 AM
I am thinking about leaving my companies health insurance provider (Cigna) to seek out my own coverage. I hear of people getting good deals w/ good coverage for very reasonable rates. How would I go about doing something like this? What things should I consider and what companies should I check out? This would be for my family (wife and 2 little girls)

JR, your employer is most likely paying some or most of yours. My suggestion would be to check the rates for pulling your wife and girls off the employer plan. You are in a group plan, which means the premium is an average number for everyone covered. The older folks on the plan will never beat the deal. The youger ones are paying higher premiums than they would on an individual plan. ETS said it right about the maternity. If you have the slightest idea that yourself and Mrs. JR are going to have another, make sure you get the maternity rate as well. You may be able to pull just the girls off the plan and get a better rate on them individually. GA has different ins laws than NC, otherwise I'd be able to help a whole lot more.

Monte
08-28-2007, 09:10 AM
That is still much less than I thought. Hmmmmm...

Different states, have different rates.

Watch out if they are too low. We had a large brand carrier here at one time that was KILLING everybodys rates. All of the sudden they left the state and sold their books to another carrier. The insureds premiums went through the roof. The folks that were healthy got to go shopping. Those who are now uninsurable (it happens) had to pay the rates provided if they wanted coverage...

uncleboo
08-28-2007, 01:23 PM
If any of you guys need help finding plans or discussing coverage, I would be happy to help. I am a financial planner in TN. I also work as an Endorsed Local Provider for the Dave Ramsey Show (a syndicated radio host and proud mastercraft owner). NOTE: I am not looking for business from this and I don't write insurance business outside of TN. I would be happy to offer any free advice to fellow MC owners. There are lots of options out there and wading through the bullcrap can be difficult and timeconsuming. let me know if I can help--bleyhew@fssplanning.com

Thanks,

Ben

'02xrider
08-28-2007, 01:57 PM
I pay $625 a quarter for medical, dental, vision and a $100,000 life insurance policy. The medical is $30 copay with 80/20 on hospital stays visits (80 them 20 me). Vision and dental are pretty standard.

beef
08-28-2007, 02:11 PM
I run my own business that happens to fit into the small group category for ins purposes. I also have a son with a chronic medical condition (read $$$$$). It costs us just about $2k a month for health coverage for the family. A lot of dough, but nothing compared to what they are paying out. The amount you're willing to pay will rely heavily on your expected benefits.

jbrooks86
08-28-2007, 02:19 PM
I paid $800.00/month for family wit BCBS of Alabama. We decided to go with an HSA. unlceboo can probably give better and more info on this, but I feel there is no comparison in cost. We spend about the same each month, but 1/2 of it goes into a savings account to cover the expenses we have until we meet the deductible. The less we use it the less is cost. If we dont use it, we can get it back and all the cost are tax deductible. It has been by far a better deal than BCBS as far as cost. Now we have not had to use it for any major stuff thank the Lord, but feel based on the contract we have, we would be covered. It is worth a look

wgwollet
08-28-2007, 02:51 PM
UAW people get full health and drug care for only about $400/year

How can a company pay 100% when it costs you $400/month?

Our employer pays 100% of our health insurance. I think for me, single, no kids, its about $400 a month. Outrageous

LakePirate
08-28-2007, 10:22 PM
All I know is that Cigna sucks.

They pulled me off of the operating table when I was trying to get my rotator cuff repaired.

A week later it was ok for them to approve the surgery "out of network"

My pops got hit by a jet ski and broke his pelvis. They denied every claim the first time around. If you have ever seen/read The Rainmaker, Cigna is the same way. Deny, Deny, Deny.

Jeff, resubmit your claim, sooner or later they will finally pay it.

08-28-2007, 10:54 PM
All I know is that Cigna sucks.

They pulled me off of the operating table when I was trying to get my rotator cuff repaired.

A week later it was ok for them to approve the surgery "out of network"

My pops got hit by a jet ski and broke his pelvis. They denied every claim the first time around. If you have ever seen/read The Rainmaker, Cigna is the same way. Deny, Deny, Deny.

Jeff, resubmit your claim, sooner or later they will finally pay it.
I hear you Lakey. I have that happen with warranty claims on cars. Rejected. rejected. rejected. then they pay it. :rolleyes: legit claims, but 3X rejected for no reason, then they pay it. you do the math, they are playing the odds that some people dont follow through. sad but true.

mccobmd
08-29-2007, 12:02 AM
I have been on both sides of this as the small business owner and as an individual looking for family health coverage being self employed. The best option I found was a Health savings account where you pay the first $5000 and have a policy that provides coverage for everything above this. You have to check to make sure maternity is included. The pro's are if you use less than 5000 the money earns interest and the contribution is tax deductible. the con is if you use 5000 you have to come up with 5000 next year.

6ballsisall
08-29-2007, 12:11 AM
I have been on both sides of this as the small business owner and as an individual looking for family health coverage being self employed. The best option I found was a Health savings account where you pay the first $5000 and have a policy that provides coverage for everything above this. You have to check to make sure maternity is included. The pro's are if you use less than 5000 the money earns interest and the contribution is tax deductible. the con is if you use 5000 you have to come up with 5000 next year.

This sounds interesting. Do you have a link where I can learn more on this?

bigmac
08-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Our business (about 120 employees) just was notified of a proposed 27% increase in health insurance premiums from Blue Cross. Naturally it won't end up being that much once it's negotiated, but we're looking at medical savings accounts too.

6ballsisall
08-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Our business (about 120 employees) just was notified of a proposed 27% increase in health insurance premiums from Blue Cross. Naturally it won't end up being that much once it's negotiated, but we're looking at medical savings accounts too.

Thats what my company had 2 years ago (Blue Cross) and the coverage was AWESOME! They hit us up w/ a big increase and they switched to Cigna, still paying 20% more and the coverage absolutely blows.

bcampbe7
08-29-2007, 12:25 AM
This sounds interesting. Do you have a link where I can learn more on this?

I think you have to be self employed to use a medical savings account. ICBW...

Monte
08-29-2007, 12:32 AM

HSA's are good policies for folks with a stomach for high deductibles and the old cafeteria plans from way back when. The downfall is the loss of copays. Yes, any medical proceedure becomes completely tax deductible when paid through the account, and the plan can work as a second retirement account. (If managed wisely) Just be careful that the hourly emplyees and their families can take it.
hopefully the ins carrier is willing to offer both. JMHO

Monte
08-29-2007, 12:46 AM
I think you have to be self employed to use a medical savings account. ICBW...

Negative ghost rider there is no need to be self employed(in NC at least). But you cannot be covered under another plan either. It Is a High deductible health plan teamed up with a heath savings account. Basically you can pay for any medical need from the accont and write it off on you taxes (I am not an accountant).. That which is left over remains in the account. (TSA's were the old use it or loose it)

jlf
08-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Wow I can't believe what some people are paying for health insurance these days. We consider ourselves really Lucky I guess. I work for a family/employee owned grocery store chain (it is growing) we are almost a billion dollar company. The company pays our premiums 100% and the coverage is 100% I have no co-pays, no deductibles. This includes medical, dental, vision and chiropractic. With dental, eye & chiropractic I pay no premiums but there in not 100% coverage on those, it usually costs us a small amount. We also have a perscription card too. I can cover all my children with no additional cost to me. The only part I have to pay is I must pay $45/month to cover my husband. The company does that because he could take his employers health plan. So last year when I had my miscarriage and trips to the ER I didn't pay one penny out of pocket. My current pregnancy will cost us nothing and I will pay no additional money to cover the baby once it's born.

I was really hoping not to go back to work after the baby, but my husbands insurance is very poor and expensive as many of you are saying. Unfortunately I must go back at least 30 hours per week, that is what I must maintain to keep the family coverage. I am basically going to work just to have the insurance, sucks.