PDA

View Full Version : MC Engine Oil Pump Location?

ride
08-27-2007, 06:05 PM
I like to think that I know my way around the Chev 350 block, but at risk of sounding mechanically challenged (true... true), I'm having the toughest time trying to locate the oil pump on my '95. I've read that my LT-1 has a little linkage gear that needs to be checked on occasion for wear, but I can't even see anything that might look like that little sucker. I'd also like to figure out how to check my block for impeller pieces that apperently like to get lodged in the cooling system near the oil pump. Someone elaborate, please?

JLeuck64
08-27-2007, 06:23 PM
I had to replace the oil pan on my 98 LT-1 and took pics of the process. Here is one with the oil pan removed. You can see the oil pump and the pick up is located at the rear of the engine (top of photo). This corresponds to the deep end of the oil pan.

Personally I wouldn't worry about what you read. The oil pump and its mechanical drive should be fine for the life of your engine.

I have absolutely no idea how impeller pieces could work there way into the lubrication system as they are totally separated. I would disreagard that info too.

Hope this helps

ride
08-27-2007, 06:47 PM
JLeuck64-
Awsome visual reference!! I hope it was only a seal leak or something non-threatening for you to have to pull the whole thing out. By the way, was your LT-1 always blue? Mine is black.
In past threads, I read of a gear that sits where the distributor/rotor shaft would that is a linkage gear for the LT-1's oil pump, unless I misunderstood. Not so?
As for the impeller pieces, again, in a previous thread some guys were talking about getting into the cooling system "near the oil pump" with a set of surgical clamps to fish out impeller pieces that like to settle and hide around there. I just couldn't find an access point close enough that might resemble where they were talking about.
Thanks for the picture though. Can't get any more descriptive than that.

Tom023
08-27-2007, 08:19 PM
The LTR has a requirement to check a brass gear that sits where the distributor gear would be. It's simple to check and should be done at every oil change. The gear is attached to an aluminum shaft that sits in the distributor hole, which can be seen in this photo...it's the round silver thing on the left center, held in by the forked retaining clip.

ride
08-28-2007, 01:16 PM
The LTR has a requirement to check a brass gear that sits where the distributor gear would be. It's simple to check and should be done at every oil change....

Tom-
Thanks for the pic. What's odd is that I don't see it on my LT-1. Wonder if that's an LTR only thing? I don't think my owners manual references it either... Anybody know for sure??