PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances I burned up the fuel pump?

Maristar210
08-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Out on the water yesterday. Pull up to a friends dock and the boat dies. I knew we were low on gas but I thought we had more than we actually did, about 1 to 1-1/2" of gas in the tank visible. The gauge reads 1/4.

Time to go and we "idle back" to our spot. The wife drops me off to grab the trailer because I want to pull it out and clean it good with all the rain and it dies on her. She tries to restart it a couple of times and it will not fire. She jumps in and starts to swim the boat in to shore (trooper) just as I am backing the trailer down the ramp. I pull it out and fill it up with 42 gallons in a 45 gallon tank. I return home, I bump it over dry and it fires right up. I turn if off immediatley. Seems like all is well????

I usually pull it out at the half tank mark and fill it up. This is the first time I mistakenly let it get that low.

Is the pump shot or did I just get lucky? Will it die on me the next time out?

Your opinions please... TIA

erkoehler
08-27-2007, 12:40 PM
It is hard to say, but it might not be a bad winter project too consider....

JimN
08-27-2007, 12:42 PM
1-1/2" of gas is nothing. That qualifies as EMPTY. There's a chamber in most tanks and it's for keeping the gas around the pickup from sloshing completely away from the pickup. It may be a couple of gallons but over the area of the tank, it's not very seep. Calibrate your sender so it shows EMPTY when there's about 2"-3" of gas in the tank, so this doesn't happen again.

ProTour X9
08-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah 1" seems pretty low, you'd think it would be enough though. The old boat would read "E" on the other side of the lake and I could go WOT home. Personally I think you'll luck out.

Threadjack; headed to Action tonight :D:woohoo:

Maristar210
08-27-2007, 01:22 PM
1-1/2" of gas is nothing. That qualifies as EMPTY. There's a chamber in most tanks and it's for keeping the gas around the pickup from sloshing completely away from the pickup. It may be a couple of gallons but over the area of the tank, it's not very seep. Calibrate your sender so it shows EMPTY when there's about 2"-3" of gas in the tank, so this doesn't happen again.

Thanks for posting Jim, we'll do....

Steve

surfacetension
08-27-2007, 01:23 PM
I was told that once you run it dry the pump will die in 1 to 10 hours, I'm going to buy a spare pump and put it on the shelf. By the way my son just spent a week on a lake with an 05 X star and the pump died the first day , the new pump is on backorder, so that should tell you something

bigmac
08-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Four of us on our lake with MCs just bought a fuel pump to keep as a spare. It's on backorder - :rolleyes:

JimN
08-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Aside from the fact that the filter on an in-tank pump has a 1/2" bump on the bottom, if the metal goes up the sides another 1/4", 3/4" is never going to be accessible. That leaves 3/4", if the actual level is 1-1/2". Why would someone to suck the dregs from the bottom of a fuel tank?

Get the sender working properly!

BTW- these senders are sensitive to impurities in the fuel. That means that if the gas has water in it, it will read higher. Many petroleum based additives will indicate that the level is higher, but not usually by the same margin as water.

92 190 PS
08-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Maristar keep the new pump close. I've read several of the posts related to these pumps and you're just about sure of replacing it anytime now. Brother ran his X-9 our of gas and it ran for less than 10 hours before it died. Good luck finding one for your boat. He had a hard time because they were on back order.....

MIMC
08-27-2007, 01:57 PM
JimN -

You mentioned earlier in this thread to "Calibrate your sender so it shows EMPTY when there's about 2"-3" of gas in the tank, so this doesn't happen again" - how do you calibrate the sender? Tech 2 needed w/ marine card? I have a 2000 PS195 w/ LTR, almost ran out of gas yesterday, never stalled but lost throttle when pulling the kids, gage still read 1/8 tank. I know I didn't have enough to get home, didn't want to chance stressing the pump any further, so I got towed home by another brand that started w/ M and ended in U - really sucked! :mad: Any insight you have on how to calibrate would be appreciated. Thanks!

MIMC

TX.X-30 fan
08-27-2007, 04:07 PM
I ran mine out of gas in 04 filled it up right away and have had no issues. The boat was fairly new and so the tank was not as dirty as it would be now.

ride
08-27-2007, 05:40 PM
JimN -

You mentioned earlier in this thread to "Calibrate your sender so it shows EMPTY when there's about 2"-3" of gas in the tank, so this doesn't happen again" ... Any insight you have on how to calibrate would be appreciated. Thanks!...

MIMC

Ditto on that JimN. Is that an easy fix?

WAT8415
08-27-2007, 07:47 PM
on my 91 PS190 there is a set screw on the top of the sender, I just loosened the screw and rotate the sender and the gauge will adjust.

TX.X-30 fan
08-27-2007, 08:09 PM
The time I ran out of gas the gauge read between 1/4 and 1/2. So now I fill when it gets close to half, but seldom get more than 25 gallons in. I would like to run 40 gallons out and have some idea where I am on fuel. I told the dealer about this in 04 and was told boat gas gauges suck and just learn to know when its time for gas. :mad: So what I am asking if I try to adjust mine what do I do. :confused:

Thanks gentlemen. :rolleyes:

JKTX21
08-27-2007, 09:45 PM
I was told that once you run it dry the pump will die in 1 to 10 hours, I'm going to buy a spare pump and put it on the shelf. By the way my son just spent a week on a lake with an 05 X star and the pump died the first day , the new pump is on backorder, so that should tell you something

That sounds pretty accurate. My buddy with a 2004 x-star called me to come snatch his boat one day because it was out of gas... About two weeks later called to tell me his boat wouldn't start..... :rolleyes:

Leroy
08-27-2007, 11:01 PM
My luck it is burned out, for you Steve I'm sure no problem!

TX.X-30 fan
08-27-2007, 11:31 PM
My luck it is burned out, for you Steve I'm sure no problem!

Lets try to stay positive here. :D

erkoehler
08-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Four of us on our lake with MCs just bought a fuel pump to keep as a spare. It's on backorder - :rolleyes:
Good thing I have them instock :)

Leroy
08-28-2007, 12:09 AM
There's a realist in every group!

Lets try to stay positive here. :D

sand2snow22
08-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Out on the water yesterday. Pull up to a friends dock and the boat dies. I knew we were low on gas but I thought we had more than we actually did, about 1 to 1-1/2" of gas in the tank visible. The gauge reads 1/4.

Time to go and we "idle back" to our spot. The wife drops me off to grab the trailer because I want to pull it out and clean it good with all the rain and it dies on her. She tries to restart it a couple of times and it will not fire. She jumps in and starts to swim the boat in to shore (trooper) just as I am backing the trailer down the ramp. I pull it out and fill it up with 42 gallons in a 45 gallon tank. I return home, I bump it over dry and it fires right up. I turn if off immediatley. Seems like all is well????

I usually pull it out at the half tank mark and fill it up. This is the first time I mistakenly let it get that low.

Is the pump shot or did I just get lucky? Will it die on me the next time out?

Your opinions please... TIA

Almost the same story for me. We we're trying to run her low for an 8 hour tow back home, we had about 1/8 of a tank left. My brother was letting her idle while he was waiting for me with the trailer. It was really windy and the waves were rolling the boat around pretty good. My brother said the boat just died. He thought it ran out of gas, but she started right up again. I am also worried about our fuel pump. Haven't had her out since...

dmayer84
08-28-2007, 12:20 AM
First day I had my x10 i ran out of gas because of the sender being off, I looked in the tank and saw 3-4 in and thought something broke. At this point I put in a new sender but never trust the gauge below 1/2. It is easy enough to look in and see how much is left. My pump has been fine since.

My biggest worry when I ran out was that it wouldnt even turn over. Put in 5 gallons and it started right up.

ridehype4life
08-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Our X1's gas guage is useless. We had pretty much no gas left so we put about 8 gallons in from 5 gallon tanks, and the gauge was pegged at full. Rule of thumb, if it starts to drop past half, its time to refill.

JimN
08-28-2007, 09:00 AM
If your gauge is useless, have it adjusted or do it yourself. There are instructions in other threads, if you do a search.

Maristar210
08-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Seems like most of the gauges read falsely higher that reaility. Rather than telling the owner to fix it why don't they come accurate from the factory? I think that is a fair question. Mines been wrong since day one.
not *****ing either, just saying.

JimN
08-28-2007, 11:38 AM
As I have said many times, this device is sensitive to contaminants in whatever it's supposed to be immersed in. That means, if there's water or something else that can alter the characteristics of the gas, it'll read high or low. The plastic floats stick and the magnets fall off, the kind with cork or other floats can fail and the reading is always changing and it seems that there's no prefect sensor. Why they don't use the same sensor that's on cars and trucks, I don't know. They seem to work pretty well.

That said, if it's not accurate, it should be set so it's more accurate, not just post in a forum that it has never been right. If it wasn't right, did you tell the dealer and did they try to adjust it? If not, why not? If they tried and couldn't get it right, either they don't know how or didn't bother to replace it/set it.

These problems won't go away on their own. Giving up on something that can be repaired or adjusted makes absolutely no sense. If the dealers aren't making sure all systems are working properly when they deliver the boat, they aren't doing their job. You people, as customers of the boat manufacturers, are either resigning yourselves to the fact that you'll have problems with these purely because they're boats and the dealers can't fix them, or you just want to share your complaints. I'm not sure which is more accurate. You need to make it clear to the dealer that if they can't fix the problems that are experienced with these boats, they need to get in the game or they will lose customers and ultimately, their business will suffer. What do you do if your car or truck has a problem- just let it slide? I don't think so and these boats are a lot more expensive than most cars.

Maristar210
08-28-2007, 01:26 PM
As I have said many times, this device is sensitive to contaminants in whatever it's supposed to be immersed in. That means, if there's water or something else that can alter the characteristics of the gas, it'll read high or low. The plastic floats stick and the magnets fall off, the kind with cork or other floats can fail and the reading is always changing and it seems that there's no prefect sensor. Why they don't use the same sensor that's on cars and trucks, I don't know. They seem to work pretty well.

That said, if it's not accurate, it should be set so it's more accurate, not just post in a forum that it has never been right. If it wasn't right, did you tell the dealer and did they try to adjust it? If not, why not? If they tried and couldn't get it right, either they don't know how or didn't bother to replace it/set it.

These problems won't go away on their own. Giving up on something that can be repaired or adjusted makes absolutely no sense. If the dealers aren't making sure all systems are working properly when they deliver the boat, they aren't doing their job. You people, as customers of the boat manufacturers, are either resigning yourselves to the fact that you'll have problems with these purely because they're boats and the dealers can't fix them, or you just want to share your complaints. I'm not sure which is more accurate. You need to make it clear to the dealer that if they can't fix the problems that are experienced with these boats, they need to get in the game or they will lose customers and ultimately, their business will suffer. What do you do if your car or truck has a problem- just let it slide? I don't think so and these boats are a lot more expensive than most cars.

Jim,

I understand what you are saying. It makes complete sense. Thanks for your help.

Steve

ride
08-28-2007, 01:34 PM
....You need to make it clear to the dealer that if they can't fix the problems that are experienced with these boats, they need to get in the game or they will lose customers and ultimately, their business will suffer. What do you do if your car or truck has a problem- just let it slide? I don't think so and these boats are a lot more expensive than most cars.

Good points throughout Jim, and you're right that its our fault if we don't hold our dealers feet to the fire. Only thing that goes against your logic is that my closest dealer is one state away, not to mention that I hate to be without my boat in case the occasional spontaneous "morning glass/call-in-sick-to-work" day pops up. Winters are too long for me to be w/o my MC in summer. I'd rather do a quick fix myself. And in a way, my dealer has me by the cahones, since I'll only buy MC. Guess I could change dealers though. Only problem is it'll add an additional state to my drive time.... :)

djhuff
08-29-2007, 12:03 PM
We used my boat to pull a local tournament, and we got it pretty low. Never stalled or stuttered, but it was on fumes. About a month later, after a day at the lake, as I am pulling onto the trailer, it dies and won't restart. Didn't even run out of gas and it killed the pump (I never let it get below 1/2). That happened on a Saturday and I was on the water again on Tuesday, so that some good service at least.

Chas
08-29-2007, 12:25 PM
I don't suppose this pump is available through any other sources? I heard it was a GM fuel pump similar to automotive. Any chance one could purchase a GM pump from a given application at an auto parts house?

Just a thought.

Maristar210
08-29-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't suppose this pump is available through any other sources? I heard it was a GM fuel pump similar to automotive. Any chance one could purchase a GM pump from a given application at an auto parts house?

Just a thought.

It has been mentioned already. I have yet to put my boat back in the water so we'll see....

JimN
08-29-2007, 03:24 PM
"Only thing that goes against your logic is that my closest dealer is one state away,"

There are only two things about this that can go against my logic and #1 is the fact that if a boat has an Indmar drive in it, I think any Indmar authorized dealer should be able to work on it. Yes, MC is one brand, Bu and Supra/Moomba are others but the other half to this is buying a boat from that far away, based mainly on price. If the difference was so great, maybe the two dealers could have conferred and worked a reciprocity deal, or gotten approval from MC for one to sell or trade it to the other. There is definitely a value to having a dealer that's less than a state away. If the closer one is so bad that you don't want to go there and you say nothing to MC about it, who's to blame when nothing is done about the bad dealer?

If there's just no closer dealer, that's a different issue.

ride
08-30-2007, 01:33 PM
...If there's just no closer dealer, that's a different issue.

I get you Jim. I was mostly being a smart a**:D . For me, its not so much the distance as it is the inconvience to have to run it to the dealer at all (I keep pretty busy as it is). BUT, you gotta agree that there's a little truth to Maristar210's point about "why don't they come accurate from the factory?" I accept your point about how fuel additives are continually changing. But strictly from the owners standpoint, there's an assumption that the boat will work correctly upon purchase UNLESS the dealer discloses to us that it may need to be recal'ed under certain fuel conditions. I know this would take away everyone's ability to complain.

Not trying to add to Maristar210's point, neither mine nor my ski buddy's PS205 have ever read accuratly below 1/2 a tank. But for us its no big deal since its way-easy to lift up our back seat to physically see our fuel level and plan accordingly. Mostly out of laziness, we've found it easier to do that, rather than alert our dealer and to get it fixed. But you're right, I can't gripe about it either.
That said, I am empathetic towards the guys with the newer boats that don't have easy access to their tank as I could see that tripping them up while burning through a $350 fuel pump or two.
Am I off base with that, or no?

Maristar210
08-30-2007, 01:37 PM
We'll see tonight what happens. For me it also would mean I would be without my boat while they fix the issue. I'll fix it myslef and stay on the water. Winters coming and I need every day on the water I can get until I am sick of wakeboarding just to get me throught til Christmas.

Jim has always been very helpful here and I appreciate his candid responses.

Steve

ride
08-30-2007, 01:44 PM
We'll see tonight what happens. For me it also would mean I would be without my boat while they fix the issue. I'll fix it myslef and stay on the water. Winters coming and I need every day on the water I can get until I am sick of wakeboarding just to get me throught til Christmas.

Jim has always been very helpful here and I appreciate his candid responses.

Steve

Ditto on all points, especially all Jims help thoughout the forum...

ProTour X9
08-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Steve, I love your avatar!!! "Daddy, who's gonna hold your hat??"

JimN
08-30-2007, 01:48 PM
What I meant is, if there's no dealer near you, you have to go wherever they want your business. That said, it's up to the dealer to keep your business. Not doing the whole pre-delivery list and then some is a good way to lose customers, both for the dealer and MC, or whichever manufacturer is in question.

There are lots of things they don't do at the factory, just like with cars and trucks. They don't because it would cost more to the dealer, and could back up their production schedule. You have to remember- boat manufacturers don't have every little detail in the process distilled to the nth degree the way the automakers do. They don't have the economy of scale and the industry as a whole doesn't do as much business as any one of the small auto makers. MC expects their dealers to take care of the details.

That said, they need to hold the dealers' feet to the fire more than they do. It could just weed out the "I really love waterskiing, I think I'll go into the ski boat business and start with a lot less than I should have, for capital". Obviously, not all are like that but I think more new dealers should get a handle on what retail is all about. The go into business to make money, period. How they make that money, depends on several factors and QC/customer service is a huge one. Some get it, many don't. Some think they're too busy delivering boats to take care of the details. Keeping up with service issues and taking the time to do it right needs to move up on their list of priorities a few places.

ride
08-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Definitly! Good points throughout Jim and I've never looked at it from the manufacturer-dealer-profitiability slant. So along with the customer base, does MC have any leverage to demand their dealers provide better service, or not so much? (Not being condescending, just truly wondering....)

Truth be told, my closest dealer is in fact a state away and to my knowkedge, there is no MC dealer (nor Indmar servicer) even in my state.

ride
08-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Jim-
Nevermind. I reread your post and answered my own question.
Cheers...

JimN
08-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Leverage? How about not paying shop labor rate if the dealer's CSI is below a certain point, not filling out the paperwork properly and on time and requiring that training levels be maintained? Problem is, one tech may be certified but there may be other techs working on what they don't understand. This wastes time, your money and doesn't do much to ensure that the work is done right. MC and most other manufacturers pay specified rates for each job. They're usually pretty reasonable. That's not so much 'leverage' as it is 'incentive'. The leverage comes when the dealer does a bad enough job that their franchise is in jeopardy. If MC never hears that a dealer is doing a bad job, nothing will ever be done about it. If they are contacted, it has to be a case that can be substantiated, fully documented, unemotional and the dealer has to have been given a chance to make it right. A boat that goes in, isn't right and the customer goes flying off the handle will not get instant results. MC calls the dealer when they get complaints. If they get enough complaints, they pay a visit and find out why.

A dealer who doesn't make sure they get every dollar coming to them for warranty is just cutting off their own nose. Warranty work won't make anyone rich, unless they have it down to a science, keep their costs low and have a whole region to themselves. It's usually paid at a discount (there are exceptions) and while it takes a good chunk of money to have what is needed to do all of the work, by doing everything well, they will definitely have more work than they can handle.

92 190 PS
08-30-2007, 02:21 PM

Just a thought.

We tried every major parts supplier in town (NAPA, Autozone, Pep-Boys and Advanced) and several GM dealerships and there wasn't anyone that carried the in the tank pump for his X-9.

bigmac
08-30-2007, 02:45 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=17795&highlight=carter+fuel+pump

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10568&highlight=carter+fuel+pump

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15770&highlight=carter+fuel+pump

bigmac
08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
USCG dictates that a boat's fuel system is different than an automotive system, so it's not like MasterCraft was able to just use a GM in-tank pump assemblyoff the shelf.

However, the actual pump cartridge reportedly IS an AC Delco EP356.

Maristar210
08-30-2007, 07:46 PM
I just went down to the marina backed the boat in and.....

she's dead, no fuel no fire :rant: :rant:

Guess I'll be seeing the boys at Action Water in the morning

André
08-30-2007, 07:51 PM
I just went down to the marina backed the boat in and.....

she's dead, no fuel no fire :rant: :rant:

Guess I'll be seeing the boys at Action Water in the morning
Sorry!:(
You mean no fire up or no spark?

Maristar210
08-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Sorry!:(
You mean no fire up or no spark?

Sorry Andre' I meant It cranks over but wont fire. No fuel to the motor. :mad:

André
08-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Having seen your work on off roads bikes,I'm sure that's only a six pack job for you...;)
How much is the pump? Stock?

Leroy
08-30-2007, 08:06 PM
sorry to hear that Steve, this sounds like the classic case.

ride
08-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Sucks to hear about. My dealer quoted me $350 just for the part. I hope you fare better...

Sympathies....

P.S. I'm sure the expense would be significant, but it might be worth picking up two so that you have a spare. Better that than have it leave you somewhere when you really need it.

Maristar210
08-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Having seen your work on off roads bikes,I'm sure that's only a six pack job for you...;)
How much is the pump? Stock?

$500 Andre'

I just got off the phone with Action Water. They have one in stock and they can be bought with beer and food. With my shopping habits and any luck I'll manage to get out under a grand

André
08-30-2007, 09:21 PM
$500 Andre'

I just got off the phone with Action Water. They have one in stock...
Ouch!:mad:

That sucks big time! That pump design must be the worst any kind.
Anyone knows if Malibu boats with Indmar engines use the same pump design and if the failure rate is the same?:confused:

Maristar210
08-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Ouch!:mad:

That sucks big time! That pump design must be the worst any kind.
Anyone knows if Malibu boats with Indmar engines use the same pump design and if the failure rate is the same?:confused:

I hear it is the same. Run the truck out of gas = no problem. Run the boat out of gas = Bend over :mad:

Leroy
08-30-2007, 11:08 PM
I would like to understand what is special about the boat fuel pump then.

TX.X-30 fan
08-30-2007, 11:27 PM
I hear it is the same. Run the truck out of gas = no problem. Run the boat out of gas = Bend over :mad:

Let me get this straight, when you say bend-over do you mean like when you are re-fueling or do you mean bend-over because I'm a Senator from Idaho. :D :D

Tap Tap :noface:

Leroy
08-30-2007, 11:58 PM
It is a shame seeing grandpa's living like they were 20 and so stupid!

Our tax dollars at work in the bathroom of the airport......unless he was on a trip paid by lobby interests.

Let me get this straight, when you say bend-over do you mean like when you are re-fueling or do you mean bend-over because I'm a Senator from Idaho. :D :D
Tap Tap :noface:

ride
08-31-2007, 12:28 PM
It is a shame seeing grandpa's living like they were 20 and so stupid! Our tax dollars at work in the bathroom of the airport......unless he was on a trip paid by lobby interests.

I sincerely hope my grampa didn't ever do that, even when he was 20. Oh...Oh...must block mental image... must..go..to..happy..place.....switching to Skeelers Swimsuit page...:o

bobx1
08-31-2007, 04:33 PM
Is there anywhere in the Mastercraft manual that states "if you run out of gas you will likely ruin the fuel pump and this part is not covered under warranty"?

My boat is still under warranty and I might consider raising cane if it is not covered. Unless you read forums like this then who on earth would figure it would cost you $500 if you run out of gas. Is this common to all manufacturers/engines?

Crap like this is unacceptable.

bigmac
08-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Sorry about that, Steve. It's a big club.

Andre - AFAIK, MasterCraft is the only Indmar user with an in-tank fuel pump with the final fuel filter before the fuel pump. MasterCraft fuel pump issues are so widely reported on boating web sites that I'd be astonished if the issue wasn't having a significant effect on sales.

Warranty issues are kind of fuzzy with MasterCraft, but on paper, the fuel pump is part of the 1-year MasterCraft warranty, not the 3-year Indmar warranty. Indmar doesn't have anything to do with the fuel pump - that's proprietary to MasterCraft. At least a few peopleposting here have found that out the hard way when their 366-day-old boat had its fuel pump crap out.

88 PS190
08-31-2007, 07:47 PM
I dunno, I go out skiing with 4 people when I have 2" in our tank.

Less weight in the rear of the boat, and I've never run out of fuel doing it, heck 3/4's of the time our tank reads empty.

ride
08-31-2007, 07:48 PM
My understanding was they went to the in-tank pump b/c it gave more consitant Fuel Pressure to the injectors when gravitational forces are moving fuel away from the inlet, i.e. when turning, rough water, etc. Basically the concept of pushing fuel from the tank to the injectors is better than pulling it from the tank. That said, we've put 1300 hrs on my buddys LT-1 with an engine-mount pump and out-of-tank filters that's had no mechanical or longevity problems whatsoever. Furthermore, we've never noticed a decline in performance when turning sharply at speed to "dogbone" our course gates, get a downed skier or otherwise. AND, someone doublecheck me on this, but that pump must be made to withstand/tolerate the instance of being run dry, since we've accidentally done that on occasion, both recently and years ago and its still fine, holding a consistant 40 psi.

-So, what's MC's competition w/Indmar engines(Malibu, Moomba) doing to avoid the same issue in their boats?
and
-If they can't fix it, why not consider going back to how they used to do it?

As Bob said, having to pay $500 + gas for an empty gas tank is crap.

bigmac
08-31-2007, 10:33 PM
This has been discussed a lot here, but the short version is that the in-tank fuel pump's impeller and motor is cooled by the fuel that it pumps. Run it out of fuel = no cooling = impeller fries = dead pump. There have been people posting here that have paid $150 (approx) for a new AC Delco or Carter pump cartridge instead of paying $500 for the entire MasterCraft fuel pump assembly. They have said it works. I know that Indmar boosted the fuel pressure to 60 psi in 2004, I don't know if those Delco/Carter pump replacements work well as they reportedly only hit 45 psi.

Floydage
09-03-2007, 02:42 AM
Hi,

I'll make this simple. You burned up your fuel pump. I have run out of gas twice and have had to replace the pump twice. I now keep an extra in the boat.

Sorry amigo.

treptowr
09-04-2007, 05:25 PM
FYI, for what it's worth. I have an 02 X-star. Ran it out of gas the second day I owned it this spring. Figured out the hard way the gauge is way off. Nearly 100 hours later and it seems to be running fine yet?

on edit*** although this past weekend an alarm went off on the boat that went away after turning the engine off and back on again. I posted about it on a different thread here. Could that be some sort of sign that the pump is failing?