PDA

View Full Version : e-Bay ethics question - What would you do?

Maristar210
08-27-2007, 09:23 AM
As many of you know I buy and sell motocycles quite frequently. Usually I fix them up and sell them on Craigslist or e-Bay.

I recently sold a unique vintage motocrosser. Since it was so unique I decided to allow it to sell worldwide in spite of the horror stories and some of my own past experiences. The winning bidder snipe bids it at the end and wins. The listing states:

"The bike must be paid for and picked up within 10 days and the payment required is Cash or Bank Check, No Paypal and NO EXCEPTIONS unless you contact me PRIOR to bidding"

The winning bidder is in Spain and he e-mails me right away asking what my Paypal address is. We go back and forth with a the language barrier as well and finally I say okay, fine Paypal me (3.5% loss). He then tell me he is going to have a friend of his pick it up and could I keep it for two weeks? I respond by saying sure, no problem and said I will wait for me to contact me again regarding pick up.

Since that day I have not heard a peep from this guy. I have e-mailed him very politely five times and offered my cell phone number each time. He has not called or replied to the e-mail. It has been five weeks since the auction ended. The bike has been paid for. I can't reach the guy so what do I do? Ask him for storage charges? Refund his money and relist the bike?

What would you do after not hearing from him in over a month?

T Scott
08-27-2007, 09:30 AM
I would re-list it at this point. You have done your due diligence in trying to contact him. Of course, when he comes calling, you would be obligated to refund him his purchase price. I would even consider deducting your re-list cost for ebay when you refund his money. Ebay isn't cheap!

trickskier
08-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Do you have or can you get his address to send him a Certified Letter?

bigmac
08-27-2007, 09:45 AM
If you're absolutely certain that you've been paid (ie check from PayPal and it has cleared), I'd keep waiting, keep emailing him. Maybe I'm missing something here, but bikes don't take up much room...what's it to you if you store it for him for awhile? There are a lot of potential reasons why you're not communicating with him - personally, I'd let the whole thing unfold.

Unless you agreed to storage charges and a specific rate of charge, I don't think it's right to lay that on him now, but with my next email I'd notify him that storage charges will begin in X weeks if he doesn't pick it up by then. I'd also send a registered letter to him saying the same thing.

Just me...as long as I had the money in hand, I don't see the reason for cancelling the deal and relisting. I think that just opens you to more hassles from PayPal and ebay. I would let ebay and PayPal know that you have complied with all the terms of the deal so far.

IMHO

tex
08-27-2007, 09:47 AM
If it were me, I would mix a drink and go to the lake! That's just my opinion! That always works for me!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-27-2007, 10:03 AM
If it were me, I would mix a drink and go to the lake! That's just my opinion! That always works for me!
Tex, you rule! YOU RULE!!!!! you my friend, are the master. :worthy:

This man Tex, he knows all. Listen to him!:)

Maristar210
08-27-2007, 10:29 AM
I appreciate the comments especially BigMac taking the time to respond. I am poised to let the bike sit but I began asking myself how long is long enough? What if it two or three months and I have yet to hear from him? That was my thought process anyways. What if I still have this bike 3-4 months after the sale?

Were not talking a ton of money here either btw. ($1500) Paypal cleared on the 20th of July.

tex
08-27-2007, 10:57 AM
I agree with BigMac-If you do this a lot you have the space to let one sit. I would wait a month...document all attempts to contact him...contact ebay for advice before moving forward. I bet when you send him an email saying that you are going to re-list it, he will contact you! Good luck...I would still go ahead with my cocktail/lake plan in the meantime!

hester
08-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Don't forget to check all of the ebay policies and time limits. Also, if you email ebay support at some point they will give you the members phone number (and maybe address). You have to jump through hoops but this happend to me on an item that I never received. I finally got the guys phone number and spoke to his mama. She made sure he shipped the item. ha ha Good luck.

Random thought...make sure you have not accidentally blacklisted his email address in your mail client.

Maristar210
08-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Don't forget to check all of the ebay policies and time limits. Also, if you email ebay support at some point they will give you the members phone number (and maybe address). You have to jump through hoops but this happend to me on an item that I never received. I finally got the guys phone number and spoke to his mama. She made sure he shipped the item. ha ha Good luck.

Random thought...make sure you have not accidentally blacklisted his email address in your mail client.

E-mail addy is clean and not restricted. The only thing I can find so far is that Paypal refunds are invlaid / expired 45 days after payment. I still say a handshake and $100 biills are the way to go on this kind of stuff.

Steve

edit; Remeber the listing clearly states paid for and PICKED up in 10 days. Guess that's out the window

Ric
08-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I recommend you stop being such a *******

Maristar210
08-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Oooooo

Can everyone feel the love from the RIC?

Me neither8p 8p 8p 8p

ProTour X9
08-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Hes just being himself :D

Ryan
08-27-2007, 12:39 PM
I have gotten a buyer's phone number before, it was a piece of cake. But, that was a couple years ago, maybe policies have changed.

I think once you've been paid it falls out of Ebay's control and falls more with your state's trade laws on how long you have to hold a sold vehicle. IIRC in CA there was something like a statute of limitations.

In all respects though, he paid and you owe him a bike or a refund before you can legally sell it again. If you re-sell it, hang on to the cash to pay him back.

What state are you in? I have a few legal links that I could direct you to.

Maristar210
08-27-2007, 01:04 PM
I have gotten a buyer's phone number before, it was a piece of cake. But, that was a couple years ago, maybe policies have changed.

I think once you've been paid it falls out of Ebay's control and falls more with your state's trade laws on how long you have to hold a sold vehicle. IIRC in CA there was something like a statute of limitations.

In all respects though, he paid and you owe him a bike or a refund before you can legally sell it again. If you re-sell it, hang on to the cash to pay him back.

What state are you in? I have a few legal links that I could direct you to.

Michigan Ryan, Thanks - Steve

08-27-2007, 01:42 PM
I recommend you stop being such a *******
lighten up Francis.

Farmer Ted
08-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Steve,

Some where along the line I'd send Ebay a very detailed email explaining what is going on and what you've done to complete the sale.

Sounds like a legitimate deal, maybe his pickup friend flaked out and the guy doesn't have another buddy willing to do a local pickup for him?

Ryan
08-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Here is one: http://www.lawguru.com/cgi/bbs/user/submit.cgi

I have a couple more that let you do more homework on your own but they're on my old laptop. I'll try to remember to look them up.

tex
08-27-2007, 02:11 PM
lighten up Francis.
Sergeant Hulka!!!!

mitch
08-27-2007, 03:43 PM
I agree with Tim on this. It's good you've been paid at least :)

[QUOTE=Farmer TedSome where along the line I'd send Ebay a very detailed email explaining what is going on and what you've done to complete the sale. Sounds like a legitimate deal, maybe his pickup friend flaked out and the guy doesn't have another buddy willing to do a local pickup for him?
[/QUOTE]

ChrisAllatoona
08-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Hey there...Sounds like you have done more than enough trying to reach this guy....Relist the bike, keep the money in savings for alittle while in case he finally calls back. Otherwise hit the lake with a drink in your hand and your significant other in the other! Chris.....

Maristar210
08-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Steve,

Some where along the line I'd send Ebay a very detailed email explaining what is going on and what you've done to complete the sale.

Sounds like a legitimate deal, maybe his pickup friend flaked out and the guy doesn't have another buddy willing to do a local pickup for him?

Not sure Farmer Ted,

At this point I am just going to keep resending the same message about every week to ten days and after 90 days or so I'll make a decision.

Steve

Maristar210
08-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Hey there...Sounds like you have done more than enough trying to reach this guy....Relist the bike, keep the money in savings for alittle while in case he finally calls back. Otherwise hit the lake with a drink in your hand and your significant other in the other! Chris.....

Welcome aboard Chris

I am going to hang onto is for another month and a half and then we'll see....

Steve

Ric
08-27-2007, 05:00 PM
so, let me get this straight... you are selling something, a guy paid you, and you have the money, but he never came and got the item?

This is a really tough call :rolleyes: but, put it in the back of the shop and then sell it in a year if he never responds. I see nothing unethical about that.

JohnE
08-27-2007, 05:20 PM
I'd hang on to the money a while longer. Not sure how long, but a bit longer. And as others said, document every attempt to reach him.

BTW, what make/ model bike?

John

08-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Waitaminute! can he do that? can he give the same advice that Tex gave after Tex gave said advice? :confused:

8p ;) :D

atlfootr
08-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Although I'll suggest this as the bottom line, this thread will continue until he recieve's his item ...

He paid YOU
You have what HE WANTS
BE assured, HE will TRACK YOU down to collect :rolleyes:

Hoosier Bob
08-27-2007, 10:31 PM
I am with Big Mac. I would wait, ensure payment was legit and at a time when all seems clear re-list. You may be entitled to more than fees. You could consider it a deposit of which you are entitled to keep a certain percentage according to state law. The typical amount is 10%. 1,000 would mean you would keep $100 plus re-list fees!

Good luck but in all fairness if the guy sounded legit give him some time.

Mag Mania?:o

WTRSK1R
08-27-2007, 10:43 PM
I know that ebay has a resolution process for no payment, you might try following that same process and see if they have any response for no pickup. I will admidt that when I have used it for a no payment situation, the only thing it did for me was get the item relisted for free, but who knows what they might be able to do. At least it would be completely documented then.

Hoosier Bob
08-27-2007, 10:47 PM
On second thought we could just run the sh** out of it until he shows!;)

Maristar210
08-28-2007, 08:26 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/rickman2.jpg

Maristar210
08-28-2007, 08:27 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/rickman1.jpg